PDA

View Full Version : Blower fan, AC, security questions

New2BMW
04-18-2005, 09:52 AM
Greetings all,

I just purchased my first BMW, a 1989 535i 5speed, with about 175K on the clock, running great, but try not to look too closely at the finish....

At any rate, among the car's issues is a non-functioning blower fan (will occasionally wake up but usually does not run at all regardless of fan speed setting or temp setting, even full cold or full warm, on either side). I've replaced blower motors in Saabs and know that often they'll kill the resistors when the motors are drawing massive currents, just before they die. Often the sign of a dead resistor there is fan stuck in high position before dying altogether.

I therefore surmise that the motor itself is done for. However, can one save money over the $225 or so blower motor assembly, with squirrel cages? Can I not obtain just the motor and reuse the existing cages?

As to AC, I'd like to jump the compressor to verify that it works. Any easy and safe way to do that? And can I easily tell whether or not mine will work with an R134a conversion?

On the security note, I was reading my owner's manual and became somewhat panicky when I encountered the section on the computer's "CODE" function. Should I be concerned that I do not know this code? Is there a way to query for it, or better still to reset the thing and create my own? Is it recommended not to use it? Am I worried about nothing?

Lastly, any strong recommendations for what manual(s) to buy and where to get them?

Many thanks!

Rory535i
04-18-2005, 10:01 AM
Regarding the CODE: If the car starts then there is no code entered. When you hit the code button(when the engine is off) it is asking you to enter your own code. Once you do this you will have to re-enter the code again before the car will start. You have to repeat this cycle every time you want to re-arm the immobiliser. I have never used mine before for fear of forgetting the code (typical of me) and ending up with a load of unwanted hassle. Someone will come along soon who can tell you a bit more about it(sorry if i forgot anything or wasn't correct).

SRR2
04-18-2005, 10:23 AM
You don't have "resistors" in the blower speed control. You have a "sword". Search for this term to find out all you need to know. It may be inoperative, but you can repair it yourself if you're skilled in electronics rework, or replace it with a remaunfactured part. Also, the motor may just need new brushes -- they can be replaced by some readily available general purpose parts. You can google for information on this. For information on A/C visit koalamotorsport.com. He has extensive information on compatibility and conversions.

Qsilver7
04-18-2005, 12:23 PM
Regarding the CODE...Someone will come along soon who can tell you a bit more about it(sorry if i forgot anything or wasn't correct).
Rory, there's not much more anyone could add to your description of how the OBC's CODE (immobilizer) works...you explained it very well. :D

There is no "set" code from BMW...if you re-read the owners manual...it should say that you can enter any number from 0000-9999 (any number from 0-9999). You just need to remember what number you entered...because you will need that number to exit the CODE's immobilizer setting!!!!!

Rory535i
04-18-2005, 12:27 PM
Rory, there's not much more anyone could add to your description of how the OBC's CODE (immobilizer) works...you explained it very well. :D

Nice one, thanks!

632 Regal
04-18-2005, 12:28 PM
that cose thing has always intimidated me especially when I would want to use it but not a location to be stranded at.

Rory535i
04-18-2005, 12:33 PM
that cose thing has always intimidated me especially when I would want to use it but not a location to be stranded at.

Does anyone know what would happen if you set the code and immobilised the car and then the battery ran flat for whatever reason? Would the code be reset when you got the battery going again?

JonE
04-18-2005, 03:45 PM
More on the "sword" resistor here, http://www.bmwe34.net/e34main/maintenance/electrical/sword.htm
It is a good site for many E34 issues. I don't know if the jumper thing will work with the AC. I had no AC and decided to spring for the R12, couple pounds got it going, that was last summer. Still working so far. Sometimes it helps the decision on AC to know if it had been working, how long since last recharge, had it been sitting over winter or longer not used (letting the seals dry out), etc.
With the price of the newer refrigerant relatively high right now, I'd consider recharging/fixing the R12 system. Many have converted, and if done right, reports have been good.
Good luck,
JonE

Qsilver7
04-18-2005, 04:49 PM
Does anyone know what would happen if you set the code and immobilised the car and then the battery ran flat for whatever reason? Would the code be reset when you got the battery going again?
Let's set up the test...and don't do this if you don't no your RADIO's CODE ... because it will need to be reset, too! :p

1. First, roll down all the windows
2. set a CODE in the OBC and immobilize the car (ignition must be in Pos 1)
3. go to rear seat (passenger side) and disconnect the remote negative battery cable (behind the plastic covers)
4. reconnect negative battery cable
5. insert key in ignition (Pos 1 or Pos 2)

Does CODE appear in the OBC? (we know the Radio does) :D
Re-enter the CODE you used to set the immobilizing function...will it except the CODE?

Report back with your results. :D