PDA

View Full Version : Noisy motor, whats wrong here (video included)

BigKriss
04-18-2005, 03:04 AM
The car is noisy when it starts up now. It's seems to be coming from the front of the car and down the bottom. It's noisy-est when the car first starts. There appears to be a bit more induction noise also. Been chatting to a few people and they say it could be:

- the water pump bearing is worn
- timing chain tensioner or hydraulic lifter

Here is the video of what the motor sounds like. It 2 meg in size. (ftp://divineftp.no-ip.org/jap/noisycar.wmv)

Can you guys help me out?

Reagrds

Kristian

niall
04-18-2005, 03:41 AM
doesnt sound good kriss,
get a long screwdriver and put it on the water
pump and the power steering pump, aircon comp.

your motor doesnt have hydralic lifters

BigKriss
04-18-2005, 04:02 AM
I'm thinking it's a streteched chain or broken tensioner.

Here's the ETK parts i'm looking at..

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=HD22&mospid=47382&btnr=11_1187&hg=11&fg=25

Jose
04-18-2005, 04:16 AM
hard to say. From behind the pc it sounds like an waterpump going bad. The tensioner should make a more destinctive rattle sound. Good luck in finding it, hope itīs the tensioner though. Thatīs cheap and easy to fit.

Mobius
04-18-2005, 05:14 AM
hard to say. From behind the pc it sounds like an waterpump going bad. The tensioner should make a more destinctive rattle sound. Good luck in finding it, hope itīs the tensioner though. Thatīs cheap and easy to fit.Yeah. Though I hope never to have the occasion to hear what a failing tensioner sounds like, I'd imagine it wouldn't sound like this. This definitely sounds like an accessory bearing to me. Do any of the pullies look a bit cocked out of alignment?

You could always pull the belts off and see if the sound goes away. :D

If you do troubleshoot it down to a failed accessory bearing, stop driving the car until it's fixed. I don't mean to make you paranoid, but when the alternator bearing on my dad's Suburban failed (long ago) - he ignored it until it turned into a full metal-on-metal squeal which ended in an engine fire. It wasn't bad, since the alt was at the top of the engine - but, just.. a warning. :)

BigKriss
04-18-2005, 05:42 AM
thanks for the responses guys - i'll post some more pics tommorrow

niall
04-18-2005, 06:58 AM
he ignored it until it turned into a full metal-on-metal squeal which ended in an engine fire. It wasn't bad, since the alt was at the top of the engine - but, just.. a warning. :)

would not have expected that! :)

the chains dont really stretch kriss,
check your pulleys bro.

and stay off the track!!!!!!!!!

BigKriss
04-18-2005, 09:58 PM
I was going over the car again. I'm talking about the bottom belt on the right hand side on the car.

The noise is seems to be coming from this pump, the one on the right of the pic. http://www.bimmer.info/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=1076&stc=1

the belt it on really tight, there is no play in the belt at all. I have a good feeling this is causing the loud noise. I never adjusted belts before, can anyone give me some advice (hint hint...lowell) on how I can loosen it.

niall
04-19-2005, 01:29 AM
i dont think it will be as simple as just loosening the belt man

Blitzkrieg Bob
04-19-2005, 02:39 AM
is the a/c compressor.

If it is a suspect of the noise...just dis-com-booberate the belt and see if the noise goes away.

If it does, then your a/c compressor clutch or compressor is bad.

Drop $1000 at the a/c shop and pass go.

Check out Harbor Freight for a mechanic's stethoscope, they have them cheap and a scope is great for finding the source of a scary sound.

niall
04-19-2005, 03:29 AM
a 4 foot screwdriver is my stethescope ;)

DanDombrowski
04-19-2005, 10:42 AM
Sounds pretty similar to my A/C compressor, it likes to rattle. Is this with the A/C on or off?

BigKriss
04-19-2005, 10:44 AM
Sounds pretty similar to my A/C compressor, it likes to rattle. Is this with the A/C on or off?

with the AC off

DanDombrowski
04-19-2005, 10:49 AM
Well there goes that. I tried. :(

epj3
04-19-2005, 12:02 PM
It sounds EXACTLY what my car sounded like before the waterpump bearings failed completely. I wouldn't drive it, this happened about 50 miles after the noise started

http://www.bmwchannel.com/eric/e34/waterpump/engine%20003.jpg

Mobius
04-19-2005, 12:34 PM
It sounds EXACTLY what my car sounded like before the waterpump bearings failed completely. I wouldn't drive it, this happened about 50 miles after the noise started

http://www.bmwchannel.com/eric/e34/waterpump/engine%20003.jpg
I think this is your winner.

jj7
04-19-2005, 01:14 PM
If the A/C compressor,its the same problem i am facing,i got the bearings gone bad inside it.Not a hard fix,you`ll just need to replace the bearing. To be positive,turn the A/C on then you can feel the noise getting louder all through the engine...lets hope its only the bearings :)

jj

Blitzkrieg Bob
04-19-2005, 02:11 PM
I feel so inadequate now, with my little Craftsman stuff.

BigKriss
04-19-2005, 05:35 PM
i'll have more of look today and get back to you guys, thanks. the waterpump bearing huh?

ve39
04-19-2005, 07:48 PM
I think it's timing belt i had some thing simular mechanic fixed it by putting new timing belt and new water pump, what happend to me is one of the things that support belt came loose mechanic said if it did come off totally i would of loose my engine cost me $500 CAN for new pump, belt that part that holded belt and the job i would really suggest you getting some one to open that front metal cover up where the the belt is

epj3
04-19-2005, 09:35 PM
I think it's timing belt i had some thing simular mechanic fixed it by putting new timing belt and new water pump, what happend to me is one of the things that support belt came loose mechanic said if it did come off totally i would of loose my engine cost me $500 CAN for new pump, belt that part that holded belt and the job i would really suggest you getting some one to open that front metal cover up where the the belt is
M30 = No timing belt

Thank god too! I always worried about the timing belt and water pump on my e30.