PDA

View Full Version : Sword modifications ?. Change fan speeds?.

emw525E34
04-18-2005, 01:21 AM
I have a 95 E34 Touring and its ac is too weak on position 1 but too Cold on position 2. Positions 3 and 4 are deep freeze territory!.

Is there any way I can "re-calibrate" the fan speeds such that Pos 1, 2 and 3 are close by in speed ?.

While cruising on the highway on Position 2 yesterday (outside temp about 80 deg F), the vents were blowing fog out of them. Gets real chilly after a few mins, so I kept switching back to Pos1. Then had to switch to 2 again. Darn annoying.
MicroFilter was replaced just about 2 weeks ago.
Or is there a way to get Pos 1 at 30% higher speed ?. Any advise appreciated. :(

Javier
04-18-2005, 06:49 AM
temperature settings. Not sure what AC control panel do 95 model have, but mine have 3 dials, center one is for fan speed, the other two are for temperature settings (individual driver/passenger setting). You can slide the dial to the red zone (as much as desired for confort), so to rise the temperature setting.

Javier

infinity5
04-18-2005, 11:27 AM
i have the same issue.

everyhting works perfect, so i doubt anything is broken, but the dail seems to have zero effect on the temp. i can have it at full cold or full hot, but as long as the AC is on ice comes from the vents. the only way i can tone it down is with the annoying rotary dial in the center vents.. which is extremly un-precise and is really only good for cooling off hot air (not heating up your AC). (and while i'm fiddling with it i near hit predestrians and whatnot)

really though.. i've never driven a car with suck a poor climate control system. it looks fancy.. it seems fancy.. but honeslty i'd prefer something simpler. can i convert my dials and sliders over to the old system with the "auto" button and the little rotary wheels?? that seems to be better.

does anyone else have this issue? it seems the dial does next to nothing with the AC on. I wish it were digital ;) and i wish the fan control was automatic....

now, the heat is a different story, so its obvious the dial is physically functional..

SRR2
04-18-2005, 11:52 AM
If you have the same issue, then everything is NOT working perfectly. Basically the compressor cycles based on evaporator temperature and cabin temperature is controlled indirectly by fan speed, and directly by temperature setting which adds "reheat" to the cold air from the evaporator. It sounds to me that your water valve isn't opening to let water into the heater core when you're running on AC.

When it's working as the factory intended, the climate control system works very well under a wide variety of conditions, and pedestrians everywhere will not be at risk due to knob fiddling.

JonE
04-18-2005, 04:52 PM
Did you know that the "sword" equipped cars fan speed control is continuously variable? In other words, the in-between positions other than the detentes will also vary the cabin fan speed. Just pick a speed in-between the detentes that you like and enjoy!

uscharalph
04-18-2005, 05:40 PM
I actually get greater fan air volume with the sunroof open, but I'm pretty sure its due to in car pressure.

Javier
04-18-2005, 06:56 PM
Javier

emw525E34
04-18-2005, 07:32 PM
Oh, didn't know that, Jon. Shall try. Yes, Infinity5 has the same problem as me. The Temp dials DO NOT not affect the temp, still very cold, so it may seem that heater valve is NOT opening. Certainly makes sense. These 2 valves are solenoids above the engine next to fuse box, right ??. How do I test them with DVM ??.

infinity5
04-18-2005, 08:47 PM
hmm i thought it might be the heater valves, except i have heat... lots of heat.. copious amounts of heat in fact :) even with the aux pump unplugged. is there some other flap that directs heat to the cooled air before it reaches thge cabin? my flaps and whatnot are very loud. they also operate all the time.. randomly. or well, its either the flap motors or the windshield wiper tensioner. but the noise sounds like the flaps slowly cranking open. it happens every 10-20minutes, or sometimes never all day, or soemtimes every 2 or three minutes. with the climate system on or off.. well.. i guess that makes its probably not the little flap motors? heh. does the windsheild wiper tensioner make a quiet pulsing grinding noise behind the wheel?

Oh, didn't know that, Jon. Shall try. Yes, Infinity5 has the same problem as me. The Temp dials DO NOT not affect the temp, still very cold, so it may seem that heater valve is NOT opening. Certainly makes sense. These 2 valves are solenoids above the engine next to fuse box, right ??. How do I test them with DVM ??.