PDA

View Full Version : 525it self leveling

radarjeremy
04-17-2005, 01:05 PM
I just bought a 1992 525it, love the car. Sadly, the suspension is a bit tired in the rear and the back end bounces like a buckboard over every bump. Is there a quick way for me to tell if I have the self leveling suspension? I need to replace the rear shocks and hopefully won't have to pay out the nose for it.

jjw
04-17-2005, 01:24 PM
I think almost every 92 tourings come with self leveling rear. Most likely, you have a blown accumulators, so call bombs, those are about $100 each and easy to replace, you will need two, one for each side. That's if the shocks/stuct not leaking.

radarjeremy
04-17-2005, 01:37 PM
where are they located at so I can inspect them?

radarjeremy
04-17-2005, 03:13 PM
Anyone know where the accumulator is located on the self-leveling equipped cars?

jjw
04-17-2005, 05:13 PM
under the car, abouve the rear arms. Check to see if the structs have lines coming out connect to a ball looking thing above the arms. The internal diaphragm blown out over time and lose the ability to control hydraulics pressure, which cause the tail to bounse, just like a blown shock.

radarjeremy
04-17-2005, 05:37 PM
thanks, sure sounds like that is what the problem is. Is it cheaper to fix this or to get a self-leveling elimination kit and new struts...

emw525E34
04-17-2005, 07:58 PM
Jack up rear, look at the drive shafts going to the rear wheel. The "bomb" is just above the shaft halfway between diff and wheel. Looks like an oval egg amost the diamter of a litre bottle of coke. It has hydralic lines going out pointing towards the wheel. If it is leaking, you will see fluid all over it and the lines as well.

Pays to check the whole system, cos if you buy the bomb and it still had a problem, then you might be up for serious expenses on other related things. If you do not use a tow-bar or load heavy stuff. Just get the parts to eliminate the LAD. Best of luck.

jjw
04-17-2005, 09:22 PM
Possible. But most places, like Bavauto, dose not sell elimination kits for touring, which doesn't really make much sense. So, if it wiorks, I think it is cheaper to just replace the bomb. Plus, there are some adjustability that you can custom your ride height at the rear.

radarjeremy
04-18-2005, 02:13 AM
Found the accumulators and they are dry as a bone. Gonna take it to a shope for an inspection. No fluid leaking and the power steering works great, so I can hopefully take that as a good sign.