PDA

View Full Version : Is there a TIS covering the 4hp22 issue ...

Javier
04-16-2005, 07:36 PM
on revving up in P or N? If so, could someone e-mail me a copy?

Javier

winfred
04-16-2005, 08:20 PM
simply put, don't do it, i always get the back of the car off the ground and have it in neutral, that way if it's bypassing the back wheels can turn when i am revving it

shogun
04-16-2005, 11:51 PM
The ONLY thing rotating when reving in neutral and park is the converter turbine and the input shaft which has the foward clutch splined to it BUT the forwrd clutch is NOT "on" now the problem is that ZF was using steel rings on the input shaft for forward charge oil to be directed from the valve body to the forward clutch through the input shaft and what is happening is that the converter charge oil is under high pressure and it leakes past the steel rings and partially applying the foward clutch there-by fring it prematurlly. The fix is to switch the steel rings with Teflon rings they seal better and keep the converter charge oil from entering into the forward clutch. Hope this clears things up for you.
http://member.rivernet.com.au/btaylor/BMWText/technical/AutoGearboxZF-HP22.html

Javier
04-17-2005, 10:19 AM
a copy of the TIS though. The guy that is going to fix my trany (next 25 appointment, seemed a god shop, only Porches, Mercedes and BMW's, highly recommended) told me last Friday that he never heard about it!!! I'm not sure if he was fooling me, or meant it. Would like to leave the car with a copy of the TIS, as would like a fix to that issue too if necessary. My car has not reveal this damage, and I was used to go N in long stops, quit when learnt about the bug, may be it is out of the faulty production range, TIS may clarify it.

Javier

winfred
04-17-2005, 12:22 PM
http://www.bimmer.info/~rickm/trannyrepairs.htm

Javier
04-17-2005, 02:26 PM
probably the best I've ever seen. Even though I'm still afraid of messing with the trany.

I do not believe my car has a problem with the A clutch. It goes forward beautifully, smooth changes, no slipping. The problem is that Reverse do not engage, and it has no engine braking on 1st gear.

Guess it has the D brake fried. May be also some issues in the valve body, but when I changed the oil as an attempt to fix it, the old oil was opaque and dark, and there were black dust residues in the pan, so guess the discs are worn. May be something got stuck and D brake was engaged (even partially) out of time.

My concern is that if my box has a potential problem with the A clutch issue, this will be the time to also incorporate the correction, and the shop guy did not give me the impression to know about it.

Javier

grave77
04-17-2005, 03:06 PM
since u got through the tranny .. I had something to ask about ... actualy 2 things ... the 1st is when rev the engine on N or P I feel that the car is going forward is that normal? the second thing is ... the vavle body ... when it's causing one of the speeds to hang mostly the 1st and second, is there some way to fix this without going through replacement of the whole vavle body? I had to look for 4 second hand ones and all of them were malfunctioning, the new one costs like 40% of the car price here. whats the best thing in that case?

632 Regal
04-17-2005, 04:33 PM
Grave the valve body issue only concerns the 540 transmissions, 5hp22 (I think thats what it is) and you can do the upgrade to the old valve body. I know its the seperator plate and check balls, and I believe some of the valve springs too.

grave77
04-17-2005, 04:48 PM
well Jeff all I know about the vavle body is that it allows oil pressure to pass through those lines to change the tranny ... but more details to make me able to pin point the faulty valve or spring! I have no idea yet and I will be very happy and gratefull to have some document about this. that goes also for the 525i newer trans. last week I had a hard time fixing my sisters 525i tranny ... untill now the second gear is still gamming untill the gear is warm.

Javier
04-19-2005, 09:27 PM
Looking for these two:
2401913196 - June 1991 - Transmission Failure During Exhaust Emission Testing
2402903098 - Aug 1990 - New Primary Oil Pump Housing with 4HP22 or 4HP24

Javier

ryan roopnarine
04-19-2005, 09:33 PM
i got my tis working sunday, ill go check.

Javier
04-19-2005, 09:42 PM
Javier

ryan roopnarine
04-19-2005, 10:08 PM
240290000 is listed as the oil pump article....

the problem with the number that you are giving me is that that is the number on top of the bulletin, not the one that can be searched for in the tis...ie, you gave me a 10 digit number....these are listed as 9 digit numbers for search. a tis expert like bill r could probably find them, however i can't. i looked manually for the emissions testing one, since that seems like it would reinforce the point to your mechanic, i can't find it. i'll post the thing about the oil pump, but i don't think it has to do with a regular a clutch/rev in neutral problem.

Javier
04-19-2005, 10:26 PM
this bug was fixed from some production year, my car is early 92, may be it is out of the problem range.

In this case, I wouldn't mind.

The emission test TIS has this content:

June 1991
Service Bulletin 24 01 91 (3196)

Subject: Transmisison Failure during Exhaust Emission Testing

Models: All 1984, 1985, 1986 with 4-speed automatic transmission, 1987
635CSi, 735i, and L7.

Situation: There have been reported isolated cases of automatic
transmissions failing during a High Idle Exhaust Emissions Check. The
failures have resulted from a preconditioning procedure where the engine is
held at high rpm for a prolonged period of time. The following applies to
all states which have a High Idle Exhaust Emission Check.

As the internal transmission components experience normal wear over time,
the possibility of transmission damage exists if the vehicle is operated
for
extended periods of time at high rpm in PARK or Neutral. Such operation
does not constitute normal operating conditions. If, in exceptional cases
such as A/C recharging, injector cleaning, charging system tests, or
emissions testing, vehicle operation at high rpm in PARK or Neutral is
required the following setup procedure must be performed prior to beginning
such operations.

Solution: The emissions test must be conducted with the engine at
operating
temperature. If the engine is not at operating temperature prior to
beginning the test, it is recommended that the vehicle be driven for a
short
period of time to bring the engine to operating temperature. DO NOT run
the
vehicle at high idle to achieve operating temperature.

Once the engine has reached operating temperature, the following pretest
procedure must be performed BEFORE testing begins.

Setup Procedure for I/M Emission Test

1. Shift to PARK.
2. Turn engine OFF.
3. Wait at least 30 seconds.
4. Restart engine, LEAVE TRANSMISSION IN PARK.
After the engine is started, DO NOT move the gear shift selector through
the
Forward or Reverse gears before or during the test sequence. DO NOT EXCEED
2000 RPM.
5. Begin emissions test procedure.
6. If the vehicle fails the emission test, some states allow for an
extended pre-conditioning before the repeat test. In this case the
following procedure should be adhered to.

Precondition Procedure

1. Shift into PARK and turn the engine OFF for 30 seconds.
2. Restart engine, LEAVE TRANSMISSION IN PARK.
3. Engine may be preconditioned at a maximum of 2000 RPM for up to 90
seconds, at which time the repeat test must begin.

If the above steps are not followed, serious transmission damage can
result.

Note: Due to the unusual nature of the emissions check, this type of
failure does not take place under normal operating conditions.

You can see there that BMW did not consider a solution for this, and also located the fault for models from 1984 to 1987!!! There wasn't even E34's at that time!!

From Winfred post on the two repairs, it is clear that the correction is based in two Teflon seals, replacing steel seals. If there is something about this in the Oil pump TIS, then it is worthy, otherwise, as you think, may not be related.

Javier

ryan roopnarine
04-19-2005, 10:29 PM
http://plaza.ufl.edu/rroopnar/javier-1.jpg

http://plaza.ufl.edu/rroopnar/javier-2.jpg

ryan roopnarine
04-19-2005, 10:39 PM
as has probably been said before, the 4hp22 and hp22eh had this problem, and all the m20 and m30 e34s were equipped with this,.....methinks that bmw's solution if a car came in with this problem was to completely overhaul the tranny and that's why there might not be a partial rebuild datasheet to solve the problem.

Javier
04-19-2005, 10:58 PM
correcting seals. I will burn a CD with all the info gather on this post and take it to the shop with the car. As the shop will have to disassemble up to D break, think it is time to replace the ofending seals to the A clutch.

Javier