PDA

View Full Version : Anyone seen one of these before?

Rory535i
04-16-2005, 03:53 AM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7967450941&category=33741

BigKriss
04-16-2005, 04:15 AM
it's been discussed before

http://www.bimmer.info/forum/showthread.php?t=7215&highlight=electric+supercharger

a complete waste of money mate - it does nothing. Don't take this product seriously. Where are the dyno graphs? What brand of car does it fit. Create up to 2.1 psi (********). All it is, is a little motor behind a K&N style filter. From all the hot air underneath the engine bay, I wouldn't be suprisied if the car lost power. **** that air filer is small.

have a good day mate :)

Rory535i
04-16-2005, 04:51 AM
come on, i wouldnt spend money on something like this! thought it was a piss take or something!

Mobius
04-16-2005, 07:41 AM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7967450941&category=33741Ah, the old $10-boat-bilge-blower-turned-supercharger trick.

It's always hilarious to think that, since these auctions keep coming up, people MUST be buying these.

Trust me, there's no way in hell this thing could push a half of a PSI even at idle.

Edit: AHAHA his feedback is hilarious. It's either "OMG I CAN FEEEEL IT! A++++" or "supercharger didnt work at all, its a gip, dont buy" "Super charger is Weak, I Repeat, DOES NOT ADD HP. Tool two months to deliver"

Edit2: Good LORD this guy has sold a ton of these - he's laughing all the way to the damn bank! I wish I didn't have morals. :(

DueyT
04-16-2005, 07:42 AM
I always use buddy's write-up as a humour-check when I'm feeling down! :D

*LOL* BMW Only (hence why it shows a Mercury Cougar, transverse mounted, straight-4)

The listing reads either like one of the world's bigger scam artists or a complete idiot. I don't think there's a single sentence that doesn't have a gross factual error in it...

Oh boy...must...stop...laughing...sides...hurt... :p

Cheers, Duey

mikell
04-16-2005, 10:03 AM
Hey, make your own -just get an industrial grade hairdryer, remover the heater, add a 25,000 rpm 12V motor, and . . . you're FLYING!! Be a legend in your own mind.

jplacson
04-16-2005, 10:16 AM
Or you can use those little handheld electric fans... would probably create just as much performance boost as this thing.

Who still puts air filters in like that without a box??! (Thought that procedure died out back in the 90's)

Rory535i
04-16-2005, 10:30 AM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7967450941&category=33741

was just thinking, Mad Max must have been using one of these babies seeing as he was able to switch his 'charger on and off! lol

Kalevera
04-16-2005, 12:33 PM
People who buy that kind of malarkey are the same type who go to AutoZone to buy one of those horns that makes animal noises....or perhaps a set of "chromed out" plastic wheel covers :)

best, whit

winfred
04-16-2005, 03:27 PM
"Most superchargers require extensive modification of your engine - including additional belts and pulleys which actually drain horsepower from your engine just to run (you've heard of this - it's called inefficient.) "

DueyT
04-16-2005, 06:21 PM
"Most superchargers require extensive modification of your engine - including additional belts and pulleys which actually drain horsepower from your engine just to run (you've heard of this - it's called inefficient.) "
Exactly...luckily the extra load of the alternator and transfer of force through the belt that buddy doesn't mention will keep the engine from racing away with all the extra power it will be making! :p

DOH!

genphreak
04-16-2005, 09:55 PM
For those unable to lift a spanner... but think that energy just comes from nowhere... its the next step up from adding bling stickers...

How much pressure can that little fan create? At idle the engine I'm sure the engine's air vacuum would be drawing more than it can add. That little motor would be flat out keeping up with the required air... (imagine under speed and load!!) in which case it would actually be impeding it. This would therefore be doing the opposite of what it is advertsied to do.

How come they get away with it when their biggest amrket (US) has such a litigous legal system? I would've thought eBay would act against em double-quick.

This really is the ultmate scam, no one can touch these dudes it seems.

The manufacturers and the sellers (and their reps) should be prosecuted for deciept. :| GP

Mobius
04-16-2005, 10:03 PM
How come they get away with it when their biggest amrket (US) has such a litigous legal system? I would've thought eBay would act against em double-quick.The thought of ebay doing anything about this is almost as hilarious as the auction itself. :)

epj3
04-16-2005, 10:05 PM
The thought of ebay doing anything about this is almost as hilarious as the auction itself. :)
But hey, I heard ebay is going to start charging sales tax to people who sell more than 300 items a month or something like that...basically all those guys listing diet pills that don't do **** will have to pay.
I'm praying it'll cut down on all the BS you have to wade through just to find something.

Kalevera
04-16-2005, 10:57 PM
It's not *really* a scam because people are getting exactly what they're buying - an electric motor that blows air. I think the guy who's selling it is a scumbag for claiming that such a thing could provide performance gains, yeah, but I feel even worse for the po' bastards who are buying that ****.

Having said that, it's their illusion and their money. It's up to them to decide how to spend it and what to believe.

Just like anything on QVC...

best, whit

TheDuke
04-16-2005, 11:04 PM
You know what, I think I gonna buy it. I need a new hair dryer:)

winfred
04-16-2005, 11:33 PM
yea and i am gonna get one of those sound system things that makes the fart of a turbo pop off valve, then maybe one of those "performance ground wiring" kits, my car will really haul ass then

You know what, I think I gonna buy it. I need a new hair dryer:)

Blitzkrieg Bob
04-17-2005, 01:20 AM
They are in the bathroom.....hair dryers

grave77
04-17-2005, 05:55 PM
a turbo charger creates a strong jet stream into the engine ... no electric ( hair dryer fan ) can do ... check out the DIY jet engines or Turbine engines ... look at the videos they have u will have more idea ...

Mobius
04-17-2005, 08:33 PM
then maybe one of those "performance ground wiring" kits, my car will really haul ass thenActually; on some cars, a grounding kit actually can make a surprising difference. It's not ALL ********.

632 Regal
04-17-2005, 09:19 PM
if you read the feedback he actually sold a few of these! Some of the comments are funny.

winfred
04-17-2005, 10:50 PM
i use a multi meter to test for bad of insuficiant ground set on the amps setting, if you get a signifiant reading theres something wrong and need fixing, just about all of the kits i've seen on the bay look like cheesy chrome plated crap and brightly colored wires

Actually; on some cars, a grounding kit actually can make a surprising difference. It's not ALL ********.

Mobius
04-18-2005, 02:10 AM
i use a multi meter to test for bad of insuficiant ground set on the amps setting, if you get a signifiant reading theres something wrong and need fixing, just about all of the kits i've seen on the bay look like cheesy chrome plated crap and brightly colored wiresWell, the thinking is that by providing a circuit of the least resistance possible, various sensors can give slightly more accurate readings. I think there's some truth to it, because I've never once heard of someone doing it and not being pleased with the results. Then again, it could be a very big placebo, and it probably has more to do with the condition of the existing battery ground than anything else. It's not a 'performance' thing - most people claim it to fix hesitation and can smooth out a rough engine.

At least it can't possibly hurt anything. ;)

The cheesy chrome and bright colors are on everything marketed to the 'tuner' crowd. If you're the kind of person that goes to eBay to buy a set of pre-crimped cables, that's probably what you're looking for anyways. :)

Edit: Some shady logic and ricey explainations to be found here: http://www.tprmag.com/issue/8/8_elec_stab.shtml

winfred
04-18-2005, 09:02 AM
"Recently a spate of new products have come to market that improve "grounding" in cars. Sometimes the claims of what these products do are fairly broad, but the usual claims of horsepower improvements and lowering fuel consumption are pretty standard for all automotive aftermarket products, including seat-covers, floormats and cup-holders."