PDA

View Full Version : Rearview mirrors - which years work for E34?

zuzuk212
04-15-2005, 05:34 PM
I want to replace my boring E34 mirror and have found one from an E39 2001 525i. Will this work or are there other years that will work? Is there a list any where?
Thanks,
Ken

winfred
04-15-2005, 07:09 PM
i am not sure what kind of mount the late e39 has, look at the receiver on the end of the stalk that cams onto the button on the glass, if it looks the same it'll probably work, i am running a late e32 auto dimming mirror in mine, some people have retrofitted red/orange leds in the bottom of the older mirrors to be kinda like the later cars with their soft console lighting

Emile
04-16-2005, 12:34 PM
The later e34 models were equiped with a newly designed rear view mirror that will fit - not to sure about the e39.

I want to replace my boring E34 mirror and have found one from an E39 2001 525i. Will this work or are there other years that will work? Is there a list any where?
Thanks,
Ken

Don McAdams
04-16-2005, 01:21 PM
Thanks,
KenYes. The E39 will work! I have fitted an E65 electro-chromatic rear view mirror w/ UGDO (universal garage door opener). Just twist your RV mirror (carefully, to the left or right at the base) it will come right off. Good news is the E39, E65 (E60 too I imagine) uses the same metal base that is adhered to the glass! What is great is I have my alarm wired right into the E65 R/V mirror so the "clown-nose" flashes just like they do on the E39, E65, E60, etc... Running the wire from the backseat was kind of a pain, but it was worth it! I still have to hook the UGDO up (we are supposed to be moving into our new house next week- so I'll FINALLY have a garage AGAIN!) & the Electro-Chromatic as well. Check eBay, there are E39 mirrors on there every once in a while.... I also ordered the black plastic base that snaps over the mirror base off the E65- fits right on the E34!

http://members.aol.com/e30m3therealm3/e65mirror.jpg

zuzuk212
04-16-2005, 02:32 PM
Thanks!! And the photo is awesome!
Thanks again, hopefully I'll get one to work. I'll post when I do.

Kalevera
04-16-2005, 02:52 PM
I've done this as well. Picked up a Gentex on eBay for about $10, pulled the old mirror (and the button because the Gentex uses a universal mount). Life will be a lot easier using the OEM button if it'll work :) Then wired up the autodimmer -- the harness is located behind the left side (driver's) vanity mirror and it works wonderfully :)

best, whit

zuzuk212
07-15-2005, 09:42 AM
Yes. The E39 will work! I have fitted an E65 electro-chromatic rear view mirror w/ UGDO (universal garage door opener).
Check eBay, there are E39 mirrors on there every once in a while.... I also ordered the black plastic base that snaps over the mirror base off the E65- fits right on the E34!

Don or anyone else,
... I'm still searching for a mirror since UPS lost the mirror I won from ebay. I found another but the owner says:

"Please note this mirror is not suitable for earlier model cars without the red dome on the base of the rear view mirror, as otherwise it messes up the central locking system and you can't get back into your car. It is therefore not suitable for E34 E32 E36 models, even though it would 'fit'."

Is this true or is there a way around it?

uscharalph
07-15-2005, 11:45 AM
Something to research further.

Don McAdams
07-15-2005, 02:38 PM
Don or anyone else,
... I'm still searching for a mirror since UPS lost the mirror I won from ebay. I found another but the owner says:

"Please note this mirror is not suitable for earlier model cars without the red dome on the base of the rear view mirror, as otherwise it messes up the central locking system and you can't get back into your car. It is therefore not suitable for E34 E32 E36 models, even though it would 'fit'."

Need to know what exact year it is out of....?? I just hardwired the LED wiring from my alarm all the way up behind the headliner to the mirror base- The E39, E60, & E65 is a direct fit. Just CAREFULLY twist the mirror base & the mirror will come right off. The same metal mounting base is used-

Keep us posted :)

Johntee540
07-15-2005, 03:47 PM
The e39 Mirrors are not open to being wired through the plug and Stock Harness to work properly. This was my experience as I have the Central Locking System Key reciever in my mirror. I bought the e39 Mirror and tried to wire through the plug the Central Locking system AND the electrochromatic functions. It did not work. I ended up getting a e32 mirror with Electrochromatic and then splicing the reciever board into the harness through the plug. Now all is well and all works as it should. But - save your $$ and go for the 32 Mirror. It works and works well - JT

Don McAdams
07-15-2005, 07:46 PM
The e39 Mirrors are not open to being wired through the plug and Stock Harness to work properly. This was my experience as I have the Central Locking System Key reciever in my mirror. I bought the e39 Mirror and tried to wire through the plug the Central Locking system AND the electrochromatic functions. It did not work. I ended up getting a e32 mirror with Electrochromatic and then splicing the reciever board into the harness through the plug. Now all is well and all works as it should. But - save your $$ and go for the 32 Mirror. It works and works well - JT

Did you try to wire it through the correct pinouts on the plug at the base of the mirror? Just curious.....

winfred
07-15-2005, 08:39 PM
i think the dude is smoking crack, if you don't hook it up to the alarm/locking system it won't give it problems

Johntee540
07-16-2005, 10:11 AM
Yes. The problem with the e39 mirror is that the board in it is a combo board for both the Electrochromatic function and the Central Locking function. When you add the Alarm board from the e34 it totally screws up the OBC and the alarm as it is recieving too many signals.

My Friend is an EE and he and I spent 3 days in and out of his shop next door in his basement trying to make this work.

Johntee540
07-16-2005, 10:13 AM
The mirror has the central locking system antenna in it for e39's. Late model e34's have the antenna system for their Central Locking systems in the mirror as well. The two systems are incompatible - JT

zuzuk212
07-18-2005, 08:03 AM
If I use just the dimmer, it will workout fine ... no mixed signals?
Then to use the LED on it I can wire it to an aftermarket alarm?

Thanks,
Ken

Qsilver7
07-18-2005, 10:20 AM
Don or anyone else,

If you use the search by part number link on the bottom of the front page of www.realoem.com/bmw ... you can input the electrochromatic mirror's (11 digit) part number and the site will cross reference that part number to see if it was used in other BMW models.

I entered the part number for the electro-chromatic mirror for the 525iT (# 51 16 8 238 066 ) and this is what the cross reference link brought up: http://www.realoem.com/bmw/partxref.do?part=51168238066&showus=on