PDA

View Full Version : Glovebox is FUBAR

JAlfredPrufrock
04-15-2005, 07:51 AM
Anyone know how to fix this?

Whenever someone opens up the glovebox it will just totally come off its hinge.

I'm pretty lazy so I haven't really taken a look at it, but it has something to do with the fact that the only way to put it back in is to first latch it at the top and then push the part closest to the engine compartment in.

Really just looking for someone who's had this problem and a quick write up. :)

Black 535i
04-15-2005, 10:14 AM
...to see if the hinge latches are closed all the way. Sometimes they work themselves loose.

Anyone know how to fix this?

Whenever someone opens up the glovebox it will just totally come off its hinge.

I'm pretty lazy so I haven't really taken a look at it, but it has something to do with the fact that the only way to put it back in is to first latch it at the top and then push the part closest to the engine compartment in.

Really just looking for someone who's had this problem and a quick write up. :)

Kalevera
04-15-2005, 10:24 AM
True.

A 5 second fix whence you know what to look for: on the back of the box are two plastic "pressure" latches. They have to be "set" in order to hold the rear of the box in place. Have a look -- you'll know what I mean.

best, whit

632 Regal
04-15-2005, 10:41 AM
I just replaced mine last weekend, they would always work themselves loose.

2 glove box hinge clamps 51161944479

JAlfredPrufrock
04-15-2005, 11:56 AM
Cool guys, I will have a look and report back.

Jon K
04-15-2005, 12:19 PM
Cool guys, I will have a look and report back.

Don't just push them closed and be like ok they're shut. Really pinch them til you hear CRACK!

JAlfredPrufrock
04-19-2005, 07:28 AM
Don't just push them closed and be like ok they're shut. Really pinch them til you hear CRACK!

I thought people only busted each other's balls on BFc? ;)

Tiger
04-19-2005, 07:32 AM
Main reason is the clamp is on backward. I just fixed mine... if you looked at the clamp, there is a stub on it... that has to face the glovebox... so the clamp opening is inserted from front of the car toward the back and then insert the glovebox into it.

Jon K
04-19-2005, 08:01 AM
I thought people only busted each other's balls on BFc? ;)

I wasn't busting your balls. I, when i first got my car, fixed the glovebox and didn't know they had to make a loud "CRACK/SNAP". So mine were never fully closed. Im not being sarcastic.

Javier
04-19-2005, 08:33 AM
" first latch it at the top and then push the part closest to the engine compartment in. "

guess it is not possible to slide in the latching hinges in the back, if you already latch closed the front, but once the hinges slide in and catch the hinging axes, yes you should latch closed the front, and then trim the latching hinges alignment and latch them closed. They do not break, push them hard.

Javier

632 Regal
04-19-2005, 09:48 AM
According to Tiger mine are on backwards. The new ones work fine, the old ones never did "snap" when pushing the lever deal, new ones do.

632 Regal
04-19-2005, 09:52 AM
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=HE23&mospid=47406&btnr=51_1056&hg=51&fg=30&hl=234

#6, looks like it goes from the rear to front of car in this diagram.

JAlfredPrufrock
04-19-2005, 09:54 AM
I take it you guys have also had problems with the bottom of the box just sort of hanging there whenever you unlatch it? It's kind of embarrassing when I have someone reach into the glovebox and have that happen... lol

peks
04-19-2005, 06:04 PM
i finally got fed up with not having a glovebox.. it hasnt ever opened so i pretty much broke it off. discovered the inside latching mechanism was broke so i replaced that. went outside 10 min ago to put it back in.. hmm.. it doesnt seem to have any sort of hinge in the back. strange. so i come back in here to check the forum.. so im supposed to have some sort of clamps in the back. missing those. im really wondering about the po on this car.
sigh.. another 20 bux to bma. pat must love us. at least he better.
at least ill have a glovebox now. that seatback pocket is beginning to bulge.
my 6'4" bro didnt mind the extra legroom after i took out the box, though.

peks
04-19-2005, 06:12 PM
aaw.. what the heck is #14
dont tell me the newer e34s have a shock absorber to ease the box open. what if you need you need your 9mm in a hurry