04-15-2005, 01:25 AM
http://home.comcast.net/~jsnord/pics/t_clip2.jpg

http://home.comcast.net/~jsnord/pics/t_clip1.jpg

632 Regal
04-15-2005, 01:54 AM
purpose?

Blitzkrieg Bob
04-15-2005, 02:04 AM
want to reach for the throttle body & blip it when the motors running, hood open and all your drunk honda driving buddies are standing around...you don't want the cable to stick and embarass you.

shogun
04-15-2005, 02:27 AM
Prevents throttle cables from detaching, which can cause dangerous unintended acceleration.
Can be bought from Gale or from the dealer. Especially dangerous when driving on cruise control.
http://www.nmia.com/~dgnrg/page_2.htm

Mobius
04-15-2005, 05:30 AM
want to reach for the throttle body & blip it when the motors running, hood open and all your drunk honda driving buddies are standing around...you don't want the cable to stick and embarass you.Way more than that. My throttle cable sheath would pop out all the damn time - usually in the most awful places. Once it happened while I was the first in a left turn lane at a busy intersection. The engine revved andheld at about 3,500 and I couldn't do a damn thing about it. God the clutch smelled bad when I pulled off the road.

Finally figured out I could get that stupid paperclip thing and all my troubles were solved.

SRR2
04-15-2005, 06:55 AM
The engine revved andheld at about 3,500 and I couldn't do a damn thing about it.

There is a foolproof device to take command of the situation. It's called the ignition key. You turn it off and the engine stops, even with the throttle cable incapacitated.

grave77
04-15-2005, 07:33 AM
I really need those !! I hate this gap on my accelarator step !!

JAlfredPrufrock
04-15-2005, 07:42 AM
Always something else to buy. :)

grave77
04-15-2005, 07:55 AM
thats why we need 500 bucks always standing buy for a new upgrade ... this car is a drain ( money drain )

BigKriss
04-15-2005, 08:01 AM
is there a ETK number for one of these?

Anton CH.
04-15-2005, 08:43 AM
There is a foolproof device to take command of the situation. It's called the ignition key. You turn it off and the engine stops, even with the throttle cable incapacitated.

No, that's dangerous. A more correct approach is a method called neutral.

BigKriss
04-15-2005, 08:45 AM
No, that's dangerous. A more correct approach is a method called neutral.

You put the car in neutral and it will keep on hitting the rev-limiter, untill you turn the car off.

liquidtiger720
04-15-2005, 09:28 AM
hmm...what engine is this for?

BigKriss
04-15-2005, 09:59 AM
m30

Kalevera
04-15-2005, 10:23 AM
Hey Kristian - Just get them from Gale...They're so small, I doubt shipping to OZ would be much at all: http://www.nmia.com/~dgnrg/page_2.htm.

Hope you're doing well man!

best, whit

632 Regal
04-15-2005, 10:46 AM
I love the rev limiter sound....bwah bwah bwah bwah I try to do this at least a few times a day, it impresses people.

Mobius
04-15-2005, 02:00 PM
There is a foolproof device to take command of the situation. It's called the ignition key. You turn it off and the engine stops, even with the throttle cable incapacitated.Of which I made use many many times. I didn't exactly have the option to shut the car off in the middle of an intersection, though.

Anton CH.
04-15-2005, 04:56 PM
You put the car in neutral and it will keep on hitting the rev-limiter, untill you turn the car off.

At least you still have power steering and brakes. And I am sure it's much better to hit the rev-limiter than to have the car drag in D while the engine is off on autos.

Robin-535im
04-15-2005, 05:08 PM

I've just been letting the darn thing idle at night and over the weekends. These gas prices were killing me.

Now - the really big question - how do I get out of the car?

:)

niall
04-16-2005, 07:34 AM
love your hoops man

CheapCheap1
04-16-2005, 10:36 PM
Pls check the link below if your bimmer is on the "safety recall"...
http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/recalls/recallsearch.cfm

Make : BMW Model : 540I Year : 1995
Manufacturer : BAYERISCHE MOTOREN WERKE
NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number : 97V131000 Recall Date : AUG 14, 1997
Component: VEHICLE SPEED CONTROL
Potential Number Of Units Affected : 410000
Summary:
THE CRUISE CONTROL AND THROTTLE CABLES ARE ATTACHED TO THE SAME THROTTLE VALVE ACTUATING LEVER AT THE THROTTLE HOUSING. IT IS POSSIBLE THAT THE PLASTIC BUSHING ON EITHER CABLE COULD BREAK DUE TO ENVIRONMENTAL INFLUENCES COUPLED WITH VIBRATION. IF THE BUSHING BREAKS, THE OUTER CABLE HOUSING CAN SEPARATE FROM THE BUSHING. IN THIS CASE, DURING APPLICATION OF THE THROTTLE PEDAL WITHOUT CRUISE CONTROL BEING ENGAGED, THE OUTER TUBE COULD CATCH ON THE EDGE OF THE BROKEN BUSHING.
Consequence:
THIS COULD CAUSE THE THROTTLE VALVE TO REMAIN PARTIALLY OPEN. IT HIS WERE TO OCCUR, THE CAR MIGHT NOT DECELERATE AS EXPECTED INCREASING THE RISK OF A VEHICLE CRASH.
Remedy:
DEALERS WILL INSTALL A SPRING STEEL CLIP ON THE OUTER TUBE OF EACH CABLE IN THE AREA OF THE ADJUSTING SCREW AND PLASTIC BUSHING. THE CLIP IS DESIGNED TO PREVENT THE OUTER TUBE FROM DISLODGING FROM THE BUSHING.
Notes:
OWNER NOTIFICATION IS EXPECTED TO BEGIN BY THE END OF OCTOBER 1997. OWNERS WHO TAKE THEIR VEHICLES TO AN AUTHORIZED DEALER ON AN AGREED UPON SERVICE DATE AND DO NOT RECEIVE THE FREE REMEDY WITHIN A REASONABLE TIME SHOULD CONTACT BMW AT 1-800-831-1117. ALSO CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION'S AUTO SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-800-424-9393.

Yeah, my '95 540i is on the list. Will open the engine cover & check it tomorrow... (If it doesn't have these 2 clips, I need to hack the BMW stealer in my hood for a free part.)

Happy bimmering,
CC1