PDA

View Full Version : Door Panel Slow Quick Fix

uscharalph
04-14-2005, 04:59 PM
I've started a slow step by step fix of my door panels. The local upholsterer quoted me $125 a door ($500.00), which isn't that much, but I'd rather spend that money right now on replaceing my hoses / belts and getting an E.A.T. chip. I also don't have a lot of time to spend taking the panels off. So I went down to Home Depot and bought some Gorilla Glue. Is there any differnce between their "Premium Glue" and the regular glue?

Anyway I've started by cleaning up and reattaching the outer panel which is glued to the streched material. It has only partial come unattached, so I'm not taking it all the way off.

Next, I'm thinking of slicing the stretched material. Thus giving it a little slack, then gluing and stapling it down. Then reattaching the top panel with Gorilla Glue. I figure this won't take nearly as long. Later I can decide to do a proper job myself or having them done.

Any tips, tricks or suggestions with my methodolgy would be appreciated.

Dave M
04-14-2005, 07:41 PM
I've started a slow step by step fix of my door panels. The local upholsterer quoted me $125 a door ($500.00), which isn't that much, but I'd rather spend that money right now on replaceing my hoses / belts and getting an E.A.T. chip. I also don't have a lot of time to spend taking the panels off. So I went down to Home Depot and bought some Gorilla Glue. Is there any differnce between their "Premium Glue" and the regular glue?

Anyway I've started by cleaning up and reattaching the outer panel which is glued to the streched material. It has only partial come unattached, so I'm not taking it all the way off.

Next, I'm thinking of slicing the stretched material. Thus giving it a little slack, then gluing and stapling it down. Then reattaching the top panel with Gorilla Glue. I figure this won't take nearly as long. Later I can decide to do a proper job myself or having them done.

Any tips, tricks or suggestions with my methodolgy would be appreciated.

Try the link below. You're right on target, except, the fix may be more permanent than you think. Too bad, you may not get to spend as much $$ as you wanted :) Removing the panels literally takes a few minutes and makes the job so much easier.

Door Panel Fixerupper (http://www.bimmer.info/forum/showthread.php?t=9301)

Good Luck,

Dave M