PDA

View Full Version : How does the horn work?

Jon K
04-14-2005, 02:02 PM
How does the airbag being pushed trip the horn? I am in the process of installing my new steering wheel and it has a different center and such, but I was wondering if anyone knew how the horn goes tripped. Any help?

632 Regal
04-14-2005, 04:42 PM
push the BIG button in the middle of the wheel.

Should have been some sort of wire or connection im thinking. The old GM cars wad a single lead to the horn area and when pressed it just grounded and completed the circut. Doubt that helps at all though.

emw525E34
04-14-2005, 08:25 PM
Jon, Since you had ALL those buttons in the multi-function wheel that is not doing anything, why not wire one of them (or all of them) to trigger the horn ?. he he

Ooops, I though I was turning down the volume of the stereo. Sorry!.

TheGeak
04-14-2005, 08:28 PM
you don't need the horn Jon, just stick one of those stickers on your car that says "Horn Broken, Watch for Finger!"

Paul in NZ
04-15-2005, 08:37 PM
a bit late but i am sure the jeff is correct,at one time my horn stopped working and all fuses and connetion to the horns looked ok,so i fiddled around with the horn boss on my mtech two wheel and the boss just popped off,there were springs and contacts in there,I cant rember exactly but when it went all back to gether it worked.......It seems ironic to me that you attempt and complete a project as complex as your touch screen and a horn is tough??????

632 Regal
04-15-2005, 09:10 PM
LOL, there has to be contact points in the airbag deal where you press it. It has to have some kind of wire so that it completes the circuit to the horns or at least the horn relays.

Jon K
04-15-2005, 09:53 PM
a bit late but i am sure the jeff is correct,at one time my horn stopped working and all fuses and connetion to the horns looked ok,so i fiddled around with the horn boss on my mtech two wheel and the boss just popped off,there were springs and contacts in there,I cant rember exactly but when it went all back to gether it worked.......It seems ironic to me that you attempt and complete a project as complex as your touch screen and a horn is tough??????

I haven't had the time to look at it. I milled my E46 wheel on, obviously the connectors on the E34 wheel arent going to swap over to the E46 wheel. I know "how" it works, I need to know how to complete the circuit... is it a ground completion, a hot completion, etc.

Paul in NZ
04-15-2005, 10:01 PM
ok jon i beleive the horn push completes the circuit to ground and in doing so activates the horn relay(s)

632 Regal
04-15-2005, 11:07 PM
just do it!