PDA

View Full Version : hitting type sound from the rear of the car

BigKriss
04-14-2005, 09:22 AM
I'm hearing a hitting type sound coming for it seems the rear left of the car. It's not the subframe bolts. I can't describe it well. Today I moved the exhaust around a bit, about 1.5" of play. I couldn't notice anything unsuall and don't have pics (it's dark outside).

I been reading a few other posts and think it maybe this.

http://www.bmwe34.net/e34main/Maintenance/Transmission/CenterBearing.htm

But the sound still happens at higher speeds over 80 kms.When I turn right, i can barely hear it, but when i turn left, its a lot louder, going over bumps also makes me go eek!

Or I can check the exhaust hangers. Any other help guys?

Jeff N.
04-14-2005, 09:28 AM
Have you checked the subframe bushings? Look above the bushing and see if you have very clear marks on the floor pan. Did you retorque the subframe nuts well after you put in the plates?

Will it make the noise if you get on/off the gas in a straight line?

Is it a "thud" or a "whhrrrrrrrr" type sound?

BigKriss
04-14-2005, 09:35 AM
Have you checked the subframe bushings? Look above the bushing and see if you have very clear marks on the floor pan. Did you retorque the subframe nuts well after you put in the plates?

Will it make the noise if you get on/off the gas in a straight line?

Is it a "thud" or a "whhrrrrrrrr" type sound?

Hi Jeff,

I know it's definately not the subframe bushings bolts again. You can see the delrin plates there, but I'm certain there on tight. My mate bolted them up first, then I had a quick go. They are tight.

I drove the car home from work this evening. I don't think there is noise when I get on / off the gas.

It a thud type sound.

I hope this helps.

632 Regal
04-14-2005, 09:54 AM
probably the muffler swinging over, might need fresh exhaust hangers. The old ones get kinda mooshy after a while.

Kalevera
04-14-2005, 01:00 PM
I'm going to second that. If they're loose, the thing will chatter as it hits the heat shields.

PhilipJCaputo
04-14-2005, 02:33 PM
I've got a similar noise... but I only hear it at low speeds over bumps...

I'll prolly crawl up under there and take a peak at it this weend

BigKriss
04-18-2005, 02:54 AM
here is the download. ftp://divineftp.no-ip.org/jap/soundrear.wmv. The file is 2mb in size.

As you can see / hear - as the car goes over the bumps in the road it's making a hitting / screaching nosie. I'm going about 90km down the hill.

I spoke to Martin in Bellveue, he suggests its either a rear dried out shock or the center support bearing. cv joint or halfshaft or even a rear wheel bearing. I don't think it's the top rear strut mount.

Can anyone else give advice - I don't want to take it too a mechanic.

niall
04-18-2005, 03:45 AM
lay off the track days for a while kriss,

it sounds like you have broken your diff side bearing

Mobius
04-18-2005, 04:50 AM
I spoke to Martin in Bellveue, he suggests its either a rear dried out shock or the center support bearing. cv joint or halfshaft or even a rear wheel bearing. I don't think it's the top rear strut mount.From that list, I can only imagine it would be a dying shock. Given the constant creaking as the rear suspension moves, that's really all it can be.

CV joints and associated parts would make noise that is dependent on torque and/or speed. This doesn't seem to be the case. This sounds to be solely caused by the movement of the rear suspension. no?

Given the loudness and the knocking/hitting sound - I'd imagine this should be pretty obvious to the eye. To make a hitting sound, something has to be loose. Perhaps a trailing arm bushing? Maybe a REALLY dead pitman arm?

You are SURE it's coming from the rear, right? What all is non-stock in your rear suspension?

Also; I was confused as hell for a second with the camera on the left side of the car - my brain must be going slow today.

BigKriss
04-18-2005, 09:17 PM
Maybe a REALLY dead pitman arm?

I check the left hand side rear pitman arm (aka dogbone), and it was damaged, there's a about 1.5 cm of play, It's broken. I have one pic, its poor quality. Luckily, i have a new set in the garage, now begging to be put on.

thanks mobius, i won't be driving untill its fixed. I'll have to put the new set on in the next few days.

http://www.bimmer.info/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=1074&stc=1

grave77
04-19-2005, 04:17 AM
Kriss ... I have watched the 2 videos ... I think at the engine u have a poor water pump. but the sound on the camera isn't that clear. about the rear side I had some problem similar to this with my mother in laws car ... it came out to be rear wheels bearings as it was generating this harsh sound when I turn right and pressure on the left side. but there was already roughness sound when I drive. in ur case ... most probably the driveshaft is hitting the shield or the exhaust ..... get under the car and look for something that's loose or traces of anything near the eaxhaust. also check the wheels from the inside ... see if there are any traces of rubber dust or traces on the shocks ... those would help u up.

BigKriss
04-20-2005, 10:48 PM
I put new pitman arms in on both sides. Took the car for a quick spin and the noise is still there. When the car is parked, I shake the rear rear wheel and can hear a screeching sound?.

Rory535i
04-21-2005, 01:27 AM
dude check your springs on the back and the shock absorber mounting bushing. watched that video with the squeaking noise and noticed the car bouncing a lot down the road. is that just the surface of the road or has it happened since the noise developed?

BigKriss
04-21-2005, 01:40 AM
hi rory :) the car was bouncing becasue I was driving fast - every time the car bounced the noise was very noticable (whats in the video). I'm thinking now it's the shock absorber, or the wheel bearings? I don't know mate.

With the car on the ground I firmly shook all four wheel back and forth. Only on the rear left wheel, I'm getting a screeching sound when it moves back and forth. All other wheels are quiet. This is witch the car parked, on all four wheels.

Rory535i
04-21-2005, 01:52 AM
the wheel bearings make a humming sound. squeaking i reckon is related to suspension. so yeah i'd look at the shocks and springs. my brother had a jaguar in at work today with a broken spring so you never know!

BigKriss
04-21-2005, 01:53 AM
thanks mate.

Am Piobaire
04-21-2005, 02:57 AM
Are you sure it's not your Mother-in-law locked in the boot trying to get out!!

niall
04-21-2005, 02:59 AM
Are you sure it's not your Mother-in-law locked in the boot trying to get out!!

LMAO

Mobius
04-21-2005, 10:09 PM
With the car on the ground I firmly shook all four wheel back and forth. Only on the rear left wheel, I'm getting a screeching sound when it moves back and forth. All other wheels are quiet. This is witch the car parked, on all four wheels.Back and forth? You mean, rotating?

If so, try it again with the parking brake off. :)

BigKriss
04-21-2005, 11:27 PM
sorry for not being clear mobius. Not spinning. I mean pushing the side of the tyre at the top of the tyre, as if to move it sideways.

Mobius
04-22-2005, 02:32 AM
sorry for not being clear mobius. Not spinning. I mean pushing the side of the tyre at the top of the tyre, as if to move it sideways.Woah really. I uhh..

Yeah. Trying to imagine what that could be. Is the sound coming from the wheel/hub or maybe the upper strut mount? Can you tell?

Screeching as in; there's play in the wheel? It moves 'in and out' a little bit? I know that the parking brake has a little play in it (usually) and can make a 'screeching' noise when moving the wheel a little while the brake is on.. I'm still kinda suspecting that.

Dunno though. Stumped me.

niall
04-22-2005, 02:46 AM
also kriss hit the exhaust system to check id the rubber bushings arent squeaking,
it happens man