PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have a seat panel repaired ?

Derek A.
02-20-2004, 05:43 PM
I did a pre-spring Lexol scrub and condition on the 535i this afternoon and noticed that the drivers seat is getting pretty ratty. I have the beige interior, 1990. Anyone have experince getting a seat panel or complete lower bun repaired/replaced ?

632 Regal
02-20-2004, 06:39 PM
kinda pricey and they say you have to do both seats to make sure it matches...pricier, then to make sure it matches the back...BMW Pergament color. (something like that)

Let me know if you have any good experiences. My drivers seat is trashed and it feels like im sitting on a steel bar in the rear, not fun on long trips.

JoeS
02-20-2004, 06:50 PM
I have done it. I had the lower bun replaced. I went with an imitation leather. It is very close to matching. $125. It looks structurely the same. I have aquired a new interior and will be putting it in this spring, so the matching thing does not both me much.

MikeV
02-20-2004, 09:39 PM
It's all repairable... are you having problems with the leather, the foam or the structural part of the seat? If it's the leather, I'd seriously suggest reapiring and re-dying it yourself - it's an easy job, though a little time-consuming, and in a pinch you can do it in-car without removing the seats (better you should remove them and spray the new dye on, though).

If it's the foam, that can be repaired/replaced also. It's a little more physical work, but definitely a DIY project. If the foam is just worn, you might be able to get by with just cramming in an inch of firm foam between the existing foam and the seat springs. If the foam is ripped (not likely on these seats) or disintegrating, you can take the seat cover off, remove the foam and take it to an upholstery (pardon the spelling) shop and have them cut some foam of approximately the same density into approximately the same shape.

632 Regal
02-20-2004, 11:50 PM
J/K it would be nice tho, I never got into it yet but its so scarred and cracked its just plain crap.