PDA

View Full Version : Smiley lights

Rory535i
04-13-2005, 12:07 AM
Whats the difference between the smiley headlights and the projectors without the smileys?

liquidtiger720
04-13-2005, 12:13 AM
the smiley ones are euro spec. They have a different light pattern.
The projectors without the smilies are the U.S. spec projectors. They meet DOT requirements and have a different pattern than the euro spec projectors.

The euro spec projectors toss light up and to the right...so the light pattern looks like this... __/ __/ The u.s. spec ones are just straight, and throw extra light up I believe
........___ ___

the euro spec lights also use h1 bulbs and the us spec ones use 9006 bulbs.

Rory535i
04-13-2005, 12:20 AM
ok thanks. it's just that i have a uk car and it has the non smiley projectors but i'm thinking that this is because it is '89 car.

Paul in NZ
04-13-2005, 04:24 AM
thats not the reason,i have a dec 1989 manufactured 535 and i have the smileys....your light pattern should be like this \_ \_

Rory535i
04-13-2005, 05:57 AM
thats not the reason,i have a dec 1989 manufactured 535 and i have the smileys....your light pattern should be like this \_ \_

yeah it is like that. i was just wondering why the smileys are in there that's all. is it to cast a different light beam?

granit_silber
04-13-2005, 05:39 PM
yeah it is like that. i was just wondering why the smileys are in there that's all. is it to cast a different light beam?
I heard the smiley's are there to aid other drivers.

Meaning, they drop light from a glare zone so that oncoming drivers don't get blasted.
-ashley

grave77
04-13-2005, 05:55 PM
i have non smily head lights and they were like the european types untill i cut off the metal piece that blocks the upper beamed lights. i also did this for the fog lights. it was much better after this job as i have some wild animals that might pop up in ur face so without me breaking the metal cover it would be harder to see them from farther distance