PDA

View Full Version : P/S hoses, other cars, and the silly Roundel Ads

infinity5
04-12-2005, 08:21 PM
I've got a 3 part quesitons here.

1. I need 3 short rubber hoses for my power steering system of roughly the same length, with the dimentions 12x18mm. BMA wants like $25+ for each of them and i was wondering if any rubber hose would do? I figure home depot probably has something smiliar for like 50cents a yard that would work just as well. the hose is pictured here as item 8 http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=HE23&mospid=47406&prod=19940400&btnr=32_0680&hg=32&fg=20

they don't appear to be under any large ammount of pressure and have no special fittings.

2. If you wanted someting a lot smaller, lighter, sportier, cheaper, easier to fix, and that got better MPG than your big smooth 5-er what would you consider buying? i was thinking e30/e36 maybe.. or maybe a japanese import.. an older one in good condition. something you could take apart like legos on the weekend just for fun and not spent anyhting to rebuild. a fun little city-daily driver if you will.

3. Anyone ever notice how high some of the prices on Cars for Sale in the back of the roundel are? i see a 94 530 with 113kmiles and normal replaced items for $10K and another 530it with an abigously new transmission and 130kmiles for $12K.. is it the alusil engine replacements done recently? sheesh. i should just sell mine in here, buy a new one on ebay for like 6,000 and use the profit for upgrades.... even in ok condition, using those numbers, i could ask like 7.5 or 8 ;)

Blitzkrieg Bob
04-12-2005, 08:42 PM
1. The Home Depot stuff may not be oil & gas proof, and will swell up and turn into a soft gummy tube of goo.

2. I don't know about anyone else's experiences with Japanese cars....But I find them built to be disposed of, and not to be maintained. I like the E34, because I can actually fix the car without turning into a contortionist or hiring a Smurf to turn a nut in some ridiculous location.

emw525E34
04-12-2005, 08:51 PM
I second that opinion BlitzK!. The hoses aren't that expensive and they will last a long time. You probably never need another one for the life of the car.

E34 are easy to fix an d solidly built. The Jap stuff are ok only if they are younger than 6 years and are well kept. My 89 E34 sedan drives just like a new car and I get the fulfillment of the experience everytime I use it. I can't say for any other make.

Kalevera
04-12-2005, 08:54 PM
I would get the correct hoses. The power steering circuit out of the pump operates at a really high pressure, IIRC.

If you really aren't having much fun with your 530, you could always just give it to me :)

best, whit

Mobius
04-12-2005, 09:15 PM
For the hose; it doesn't appear to be on the high pressure side of the pump (no high pressure line is going to be clamped with hose clamps); so you may be able to get by with some random hose. I'd absolutely look for a high pressure fuel or hydraulic hose, to be safe. Anything you use should be marked safe for use with oil.

Paul in NZ
04-13-2005, 04:31 AM
toyotas are bulletproof.....for 200 000 ks anyway.....