PDA

View Full Version : bilstein shocks $399 all 4 good price?

amg
04-12-2005, 06:21 PM
Hello just wanted to know if thats a good price (399)for the hd/sport bilsteins, on ebay i have 5 more hours. les shwabb tire shop will install for $230 thanks for any replies

Kalevera
04-12-2005, 07:15 PM
That seller continually lists them, so there's no need to jump into anything.

I personally wouldn't stick a bilstein sport on the front of these cars because I've heard that some people think they're too rough (and to do so, you'll probably need a lowering spring regardless). But, that's all up to you. If you keep the stock springs, get the HD's.

Also, I'd do the install myself and save the $230, but I'm always a proponent of things like that (unless I really don't have a clue how to do it...in which case I usually do it anyway ;) ). If "les shwabb" is tantamount to Earl Schieb, then you really want to consider other alternatives on the install -- I wouldn't let those monkeys stick a decal on my car's bumper :)

best, whit

632 Regal
04-12-2005, 09:04 PM
Earl Schieb, complete paint job $99.95 good stuff.

amg
04-12-2005, 11:37 PM
That seller continually lists them, so there's no need to jump into anything.

I personally wouldn't stick a bilstein sport on the front of these cars because I've heard that some people think they're too rough (and to do so, you'll probably need a lowering spring regardless). But, that's all up to you. If you keep the stock springs, get the HD's.

Also, I'd do the install myself and save the $230, but I'm always a proponent of things like that (unless I really don't have a clue how to do it...in which case I usually do it anyway ;) ). If "les shwabb" is tantamount to Earl Schieb, then you really want to consider other alternatives on the install -- I wouldn't let those monkeys stick a decal on my car's bumper :)

best, whiti do have the bav auto springs wanted more of the stock ride but still lean on turns so the mtech sways will be next. les shwabb is just like the discount tire shop. have a friend who will help me do the install.

Kalevera
04-13-2005, 12:05 AM
Aaah...the BavAutos, aye? I ran a set of those for about three months before I swapped them out (see http://www.bmw4life.com/suspensionLowellFA.htm). During that time, they were on with KYB's on the front, stock boge automatics (dead) on the rear.

I don't know how you feel about the bavautos, but I hated them, and in the short period of time that they were on my car, they only got worse. They caused the KYBs to bottom out all the time, the front end scraped when I pulled into my driveway...yeah I guarantee that most others who have run these will concur (ie., Don Gale), and installing a set of bilstein sports probably won't do anything to ameliorate it.

If it's leaning in corners, the struts are probably dead...best to fix the big problems before advancing to the sways (you won't believe how little roll you'll experience with a new struts ;) ). If cash flow is an issue, I'd get Bilstein HDs and put them on your stock springs. Alternatively, try a set of Vogtland springs (contact Peter on the board - PMLmotorsport), which are both inexpensive and a good choice, w/boge turbo gas. If money isn't a problem, I'd either get the Sachs kit (which really has a nice, tuned ride, and the cornering's EXCELLENT) or a set of konis.

best, whit

mikell
04-13-2005, 08:13 AM
Not bad - but what's the shipping? I paid about $420 for a set of Bilstein HD's, shipping included. I think the place I found them was e-shocks.com or something like that. Try Google, and let your fingers do the shopping.

BTW, there are different part numbers for the fronts depending on your car - measure the nut on the top (mine is 22mm, I think) before ordering.

amg
04-14-2005, 09:15 PM
Not bad - but what's the shipping? I paid about $420 for a set of Bilstein HD's, shipping included. I think the place I found them was e-shocks.com or something like that. Try Google, and let your fingers do the shopping.

BTW, there are different part numbers for the fronts depending on your car - measure the nut on the top (mine is 22mm, I think) before ordering.$399 and that includes the shipping locally they wanted like 750 special order yikes