PDA

View Full Version : BMW's new designs & THE RITE OF SPRING

Warren N.CA
02-20-2004, 04:41 PM
ThE RITE OF SPRING is widely acknowledged as perhaps the most signifigant classical music composition of the 20th century. It is among the most popular classical works today.

But when it premiered in Paris in the early 1900s, the audience not only didn't like it, huge numbers walked out before the conclusion of the performance, and there were RIOTS in the streets. People thought it was ugly sounding and nothing like the classical music they grew up with. Over time, however, many who disliked it came to recognize not only the genius, but the primal BEAUTY of the music.

Perhaps the new BMW designs present a similar situation. When I look at them, I see elements from the current direction of design by the Japanese, and by Cadillac. The BMW just goes farther down those roads. It could be, that as other manufacturers release their new designs, today's BMWs won't look so radical, anymore.

I don't feel strongly attracted to the new designs now, but I do recognize the fact that my tastes and opinions are always evolving, and that tomorrow I may grow to appreciate them more.

DueyT
02-20-2004, 04:45 PM
Just when I was working towards acceptance of the rather "out there" ideas of Bangle, they go and throw Hyundai Elantra headlights on the 7. That was a flinch to criticism, I think, and a poorly formulated one at that!

Warren N.CA
02-21-2004, 12:47 PM
rather, just relax and try to keep an open mind. "When the student is ready, the teacher will appear."

Just when I was working towards acceptance of the rather "out there" ideas of Bangle, they go and throw Hyundai Elantra headlights on the 7. That was a flinch to criticism, I think, and a poorly formulated one at that!