PDA

View Full Version : How many people are running radio scanners?

BigKriss
04-12-2005, 10:00 AM
I bought a Uniden 10 Channel 8 Band radio scanner. Model UBC60XLT. Programmed in for 7 police channels, automatic scanning between frequencies if no signal is heard from one. Next step is to get a FM modulator to run it through the stero system.

It's amazing the **** you hear.

http://www.bimmer.info/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=1052&stc=1

Rory535i
04-12-2005, 10:01 AM
Just make sure u don't get caught with it if u get pulled by the po-lice!

632 Regal
04-12-2005, 10:07 AM
where im at the state and county police use trunk channels or whatever their called. They are scrambled to the point that theres no way to listen to them, all you can get is fire and ems. I have these small walkie talkie deals that are pretty cool if your near a big town with a lot of fast food resteraunts :D

BigKriss
04-12-2005, 10:16 AM
i'm under the impression they aren't illegal to possess. It's only when you use them for illegal puposes. no encryption over here jeff, just new services going digital.

MBXB
04-12-2005, 10:22 AM
Get a HAM Radio license.

atomicDog
04-12-2005, 02:02 PM
I bought a Uniden 10 Channel 8 Band radio scanner. Model UBC60XLT. Programmed in for 7 police channels, automatic scanning between frequencies if no signal is heard from one. Next step is to get a FM modulator to run it through the stero system.

It's amazing the **** you hear.

http://www.bimmer.info/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=1052&stc=1

We can no longer pick up police calls on scanners here. Police departments in this area have gone to an all-digital, encrypted signal. In addition, all police cars are now equipped with on-board computers to facilitate the bulk of their communications and the ensuing paperwork. :D

Jon K
04-13-2005, 11:42 AM
We can no longer pick up police calls on scanners here. Police departments in this area have gone to an all-digital, encrypted signal. In addition, all police cars are now equipped with on-board computers to facilitate the bulk of their communications and the ensuing paperwork. :D

I have a 200 channel Realistic (uniden, radio shack branded) police scanner. it's legal to possess as long as you don't monitor the 900mhz frequencies (cordless phone coversations). Our systems are trunked too, so you usually just get hopper messages. But it's still fun. I need to get an aerial in the fender or something to get better reception though.

grave77
04-13-2005, 01:54 PM
it will be more fun when u have a tranceiver with a scanner ... u will enjoy it big time. also make use of it for not getting cought when u race ur car. I bought a CB 144MHz but I couldn't install it due to security issues with the police def. so I'm thinking about making my DIY TRx since its my hobby since ages ...

ryan roopnarine
04-13-2005, 01:58 PM
I have a 200 channel Realistic (uniden, radio shack branded) police scanner. it's legal to possess as long as you don't monitor the 900mhz frequencies (cordless phone coversations). Our systems are trunked too, so you usually just get hopper messages. But it's still fun. I need to get an aerial in the fender or something to get better reception though.

huh? i thought US scanners had the "restricted" parts of the 33 cm band locked off since the early 90s. i know they did back when the cellular telephone networks ran on 900mHz, as i was thinking of getting one imported from canada to get around it. maybe cordless operate in a different place than where the telephone networks operated. the early 90s was a blast for listening in on people though, all the cordless phones operating at 49mhz, sloppily too, meant that you could pick em up on all the harmonics of 49, usually 11 mhz too. i am hesitant to admit to the age i obtained a ham radio license, because of the cocomittant nerdiness of that kind o' enterprise.