PDA

View Full Version : Failing radiators

SRR2
04-12-2005, 07:33 AM
Two cars, two cracked radiators. Looks like I have a couple of projects in my not-too-distant future. There are reports, like on Gordon Haines iX registry, of chronic problems with these plastic/aluminum radiators, and so far it looks like the reports have some basis in fact, based on my sample of two.

So what I'm thinkning about is the choice of coolant after these are replaced. There are some opinions that the BMW- and maybe Mercedes- branded coolants have some component that prolongs the life of the radiator plastic. Put another way, what is it about these brands, aside from the name on the label, that justifies the $22/gallon price? There are also some opinions that the branded coolant has some beneficial effect for the engine head gasket. That sounds a little far-fetched, but then I'm not an expert on the matter so who am I to say.

Since I'm going to drain the system and replace radiator, hoses, and water pump, it's not that great an additional expense to use the high-priced stuff. But then I don't want to be taken for a sucker either if what's in the BMW jug is the same stuff found in the Prestone $3 jug.

PhilipJCaputo
04-12-2005, 09:39 AM
the coolant topic will certainly open up a can of worms! I say if you only have to replace the coolant every 2 years.... certainly doesn't hurt to pay a few extra bucks to get the blue stuff.... at my stealer its only 15/jug.... might want to shop around a bit.

be sure to buy some new plastic clips that hold the radiator down on the 5.... you will break them trying to take them off. ;)

Kalevera
04-12-2005, 09:46 AM
We argue about this all the time :)

I think it comes down to personal preference. Personally, I wouldn't stick anything besides Cool Blue in my car, because I'm anal about it and I'm relatively inelastic on the cost side of things. Also, the last thing I need is a messed up cooling system, and I think the BMW stuff is probably best for keeping corrosion down.

Having said that, people will tell you that the Zerex G05, Mercedes, and new Prestone are all great alternatives...Just as long as they're phosphate free.

Do a search if you want to read a few hundred other bickering responses :)

632 Regal
04-12-2005, 09:48 AM
cool blue is...well...cool!

SRR2
04-12-2005, 01:58 PM
$15 eh? Thanks! That makes the decision easier. Looks like I'll have to shop around a little more. Maybe a trip to Ziggy in Doylestown (40 minutes from me) might be a good idea?