PDA

View Full Version : New e34 owner needs some help

xphilter
04-11-2005, 08:03 PM
So I am buying a 90 525i 5sp (US) from a family friend tomorow and it has a few problems that I have been trying to find a cheap solution to. I looked in the www.bmwe34.net website but havn't been able to find it (i might have missed it). So the first problem is that none of the windows go down, he says its a bad set of switches but I was wondering if it could be something else that is easily repairable. The other is the fuel gauge won't work. I saw how to fix the problem on an e32 and was wondering if it is the same or if there is somethign else. My last problem (not reallly a problem) is that the exhaust tips are rusted and i want to get DTM tips, i saw on bmwe34.net on how to do it but they didn't have a link on where to buy them, if anyone knows that would be great. Any help would be great. Thanks.
-amir

632 Regal
04-11-2005, 08:56 PM
could be a relay and a bad sending unit in the tank. try posting something with more detail relating to the most important issue and after you fix that go to the next issue. If someone posts all the fixes youll still be back in a week looking for the same fixes...one at a time man!

good luck man!

shogun
04-11-2005, 08:58 PM
As for the windows: often the switch has to be cleaned, spilled coffee etc. comes into the switch. But first of all you have to check if voltage comes to the switch. Fuses check, the clean the switch with a lectr. spray, that might help.
DTM pipes are plenty available here
http://search.ebay.com/DTM-BMW-E34_W0QQfkrZ1QQfromZR8

Fuel gauge: do the same check as shown on the E32.

Use my website, there is a lot of stuff also for the E34, although it is mainly for the 7 series. But they have a lot in common and many parts are interchangeable.

Kalevera
04-11-2005, 09:11 PM
Good advice, as usual, from erich. One of mine (pass side rear) was only going down within the first minute or so of running the car. I pulled the switch, cleaned it, and it fixed everything.

I'd check the relay first, however.

If you end up needing to do the capacitor repair to fix the fuel gauge -- email me. I've got a dash module sitting here that has bad FRONT plastic, but the back part (and, I assume all electronics) are fine -- you can have it for little money.

best, whit

SRR2
04-12-2005, 07:21 AM
What year is your module? Any chance you could open it up and see what values/quantities the capacitors are? Reason I ask is that of all the sites that talk about making this repair, none of them mention what the capacitor values/quantities are. I need to open up my module (E34 12-1988 build date, removable Code Plug) and make the repair, but I'd sure like to have the right parts on hand before removing it. I really don't want to be forced to go to Radio Shack and buy a fourth-rate component to put in there, when I could have bought the right stuff from DigiKey a week before I started.

shogun
04-12-2005, 07:26 AM
Qty and values are shown here. Johan has a 1987 735 E32
http://shrubbery.student.utwente.nl/johan/dash_caps/dash_caps.html

Kalevera
04-12-2005, 09:40 AM
You have a 12/88 with a removable code plug?! I'dve thought it would be in line.

I don't want to open this one up for two reasons: 1) It's from a ~ '91 (blue back) and, although the units themselves are backward compatible, I doubt that the internals are 100% the same, 2) This thing has a bunch of plastiwelds holding the main board which are a pain to remove and reset.

Perhaps someone who's fixed one of the earlier units will pipe up and mention what they needed...

best, whit

granit_silber
04-12-2005, 11:43 AM
DTM pipes are plenty available here
http://search.ebay.com/DTM-BMW-E34_W0QQfkrZ1QQfromZR8

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7967080165&category=33636&sspagename=WDVW

Is it Tio2 or stainless? A Remus muffler for $12?!? Universal?!?
-ashley

xphilter
04-14-2005, 05:49 PM
Hi,
thanks for the responses guys, so i cleaned out the switch but only got one window working...then somehow the problem moved to the door locks and i was locked out of the car. The way i know it was related is because the sunroof popped up somehow (which would happen if i touched one of the window swiches) but i took it to my mechanic because i couldn't get into the car at all and should have it back tomorow. heh. i'll post what the problem was. thanks again for the suggestions.
-amir