PDA

View Full Version : 530 v8

karl1171
04-11-2005, 03:12 PM
I'm now considering looking at a 530 v8. Apparently the car had a new block and pistons at 53k miles and this was carried out by BMW. There is paperwork to back up. Milage is now 123k.

Is it possible the car would still be affected by the nikasil issue, or if the parts have been replaced would this problem not arise again?
(ie new parts not as prone to wear/chemical readction).

Also what are the running costs like on these compared to a 525, or the 520 which I have now?

Springfield1952
04-11-2005, 06:04 PM
If you own a 520 I assume you're not in the United States and I believe the Nikasil problem was a US problem. The high sulphur in the gasoline caused the reaction. The problem was more acute on the east coast rather than the west. I have a 1994 530iT that is just over 100K miles. The Alusil block was installed at around 35K miles. It runs great and I have not had any problem with it.

Good luck.

Curt.

infinity5
04-11-2005, 10:19 PM
run away! :) maybe the manuals are vastly different, but i can tell you mine is nothing but slow until its up to "speed," which is generally too fast to drive in the city period. I have absolutely Zero off the line acceleration... old 4cycl accords driven by elderly women and old Chryslers slaughter me at stop lights. Its fun if you're going at 70 at 3.5krpms but anything else is pretty unimpressive. Not to mention the gas milage... and the fact that everything costs that much more with 2 more pistons (any everything is more rare). If i had forced induction.. maybe that would bring it to life... and maybe mine is just a special case, but sometimes its so slow off the line i get scared something is broken. i know the AT can start in 2nd gear in stop and go traffic, but it feels like it starts in second about 40-50% of the time. and at very very odd times. i wish the sport program was a tad less agressive and i'd just keep it in that all the time.

er anyway.. i'm sure its loads faster than a 520, but when i tell people this is a V8, and then drive it, they start laughing and make me take the engine cover off and show them the 8 spark plugs to prove it. its certainly a highway cruiser... except the suspension is kind of shot by this age, so highway crusing is uncomfortable and frightening... and the wind sound is deafining...sigh.. but what can you do but love it?

632 Regal
04-11-2005, 10:57 PM
Infinity, good to hear a fellow Bimmer 530 enthusiast so happy!
I really do love mine, in all aspects. I love the wind noise at 130mph, the smell of a hot Nikasil engine, the growel of the V8 going through the gears, the 22 mpg I get. I replaced the rear gear for more acceleration below 40 mph which helps and it still will scream on the highway. Puts mustangs and all pontiacs back into their stall.
you may have not gotten a good example or have yet to do proper tune up to get it to perform half way satisfactory. Before you put them ALL into the ground perhaps you should ask what othe 530 owners think, kinda like saying all people with the name of ____ are pure idiots. Each person is different along with their health.

infinity5
04-11-2005, 11:28 PM
of course of course, I actually was going to add "i bet jeff will chime in soon with some good insight into the motor" but forgot after i posted.

but like i added at the end, what can you do but love it? :) its still a great car, and a very cool motor. and like i said, it'll be fast if you've been driving a 520 for sure, and at speed. i think the transmission makes a huge difference and i've still yet to check what my block is.. nik or alu.. it might be the nik issue thats causing my poor acceleration, ya never know. I just wanted to dispell any myths the potential buyer might have about a "v-8" engine, if his goals were more performance oriented.

sorry, i'm kinda grumpy at the moment from not having slept the past few days, and the 'run away' part was a joke :) if you find a nice 530 get it. at the absolutle least, the engine compartment is mighty purddy with that nice symetrical V-8 in there!

I'm actually starting to change my mind about the tightness of the engine bay as well. the fact that things are harder to get to means i spend more time working on them, i get to disassemble more things (oo fun!!!), and i get to learn more. its fun.

Interceptor
04-12-2005, 05:27 AM
but like i added at the end, what can you do but love it? :) its still a great car, and a very cool motor. and like i said, it'll be fast if you've been driving a 520 for sure, and at speed. i think the transmission makes a huge difference and i've still yet to check what my block is.. nik or alu.. it might be the nik issue thats causing my poor acceleration, ya never know. I just wanted to dispell any myths the potential buyer might have about a "v-8" engine, if his goals were more performance oriented.
3 liters is not enough for the V8. There is a "sweet spot" for the cylinder volume that produces optimal results - M60B30 is not anywhere in the vicinity of it. :) M60B40 is a completely different story - the car feels 2x stronger when starting from a stop light.

632 Regal
04-12-2005, 09:18 AM
The only drawback I see with a V8 is the lack of an easy way to set the steering box preload.

PhilipJCaputo
04-12-2005, 09:29 AM
3 liters is not enough for the V8. There is a "sweet spot" for the cylinder volume that produces optimal results - M60B30 is not anywhere in the vicinity of it. :) M60B40 is a completely different story - the car feels 2x stronger when starting from a stop light. I've never been behind the wheel of the B40, but I drive the B30 daily... I'm not chipped, but I do have a 5 speed.... it isn't that bad off the line, but you know how it is... whatever you've got just isn't quite fast enough.

if I knew then what i know now, I probably would have spent a little more time looking for a 540.... because 3 liters just isn't enough, but all in all I'm happy!

mikell
04-12-2005, 09:49 AM
Too much is never enough when hp is the issue (come to think of it, that's almost always the case - but that's a different subject) BUT, that said, I like my '95 530 just fine - all 187,000 miles worth. If nothing else makes the 8 cylinder car worth it, it's the 5 speed auto - what a sweet slushbox. If you want a bit more go, drop the auto into S4. Good luck.

callen
04-12-2005, 09:56 AM
Curt:

Not sure if you can assess that it's an East coast thing.....I'm thinking pretty spread out in US...maybe less in California.

callen

callen
04-12-2005, 09:59 AM
My 5speed is a blast to drive.....course I can keep in power band.