PDA

View Full Version : AC Compressor Noise

uberhahn
04-11-2005, 02:20 PM
I tried the AC in my car for the first time today. Presumably, it was not used since the last summer. Though cold air was instantly available, the compressor made bad squealing noises (sounded like a bearing).

If my assumption is correct, what is a good source for a compressor? I'm hesitant to try Advance Auto/equivalent. BMA the only alternative? Pick/pull would like have the same problem.

uberhahn

gale
04-11-2005, 06:34 PM
Does it screach continuously when the a/c is on or momentarily as the clutch engages? My a/c clutch was badly worn and would screach horribly while engaging above say 3k rpm. I took it apart and resurfaced the clutch face & shimmed the gap back to .010" and it's working ok again. I did notice the bearing was a little rough & will need to be replaced. I'll try to get to that this spring, it's one of those things where I'll press the bearing out & take it down to an industrial bearing shop & let them match it up with a new one. Depending on what brand compressor you have, you might be able to get just the cluch unit by itself without replacing the compressor, try Hancock for parts:

http://www.hancockindustries.com/warranty.aspx