PDA

View Full Version : OT- Thoughts on e36 M3

granit_silber
04-11-2005, 12:13 PM
Hey Guys,

A father of one of my youth is thinking about selling his e36 M3. He loves the car, but his daughter will soon be learning to drive and he doesn't want her near it.
He is a meticulous and conscientious man and I have no doubt that his M has been perfectly maintained.

Assuming that the service records match my perceptions of him and that the price is right (and that I can convince my wife), is an M3 ownable by a mere mortal? What are the genetic defects of this M?

I know parts are more expensive and I would have to do most of the wrenching, but I've always wanted an M and it would be a nice contrast, not to mention more fun, to my 525iA.

What are your thoughts?
-ashley

bjl4776
04-11-2005, 12:20 PM
What year is it? The 95 M3 has the OBD I S50B30 motor that puts out like 240hp, while the 96-98 has the OBD II S52B32 that has like 260-270 horses. Or if your lucky and its a euro '98 it has double vanos and ITBs with 321hp and a 6spd. The engine his the same block as the M50 so it would be similar to the maintance on your current car, but since the engine has higher output it has higher stress on it, and probably has been driven harder than a normal M50 the motor probably won't last as long as an M50. As far as the e36 interior goes its not quite upto par with the e34, but the mtecknic suspension will handle alot better than almost anything aftermarket on the e34, and because of this the ride quality is also not as good, but thats not why a person buys an M3

granit_silber
04-11-2005, 01:46 PM
What year is it? The 95 M3 has the OBD I S50B30 motor that puts out like 240hp, while the 96-98 has the OBD II S52B32 that has like 260-270 horses. Or if your lucky and its a euro '98 it has double vanos and ITBs with 321hp and a 6spd. The engine his the same block as the M50 so it would be similar to the maintance on your current car, but since the engine has higher output it has higher stress on it, and probably has been driven harder than a normal M50 the motor probably won't last as long as an M50. As far as the e36 interior goes its not quite upto par with the e34, but the mtecknic suspension will handle alot better than almost anything aftermarket on the e34, and because of this the ride quality is also not as good, but thats not why a person buys an M3

Thanks for the info. I don't know the year, I'll find out.
I'm pretty sure that he hasn't driven it hard at all! I don't think it's even been to the track.
-ashley

bahnstormer
04-11-2005, 08:18 PM
e36 is fugly imho

Kalevera
04-11-2005, 08:38 PM
Hey Ashley.

I think it's hard to judge how well a car's been driven/cared for unless there's concrete evidence (IE., service records) available. My thinking here on the track bit is: most people who track their cars are fanatics and attend to their every need. Others simply drive like they stole it and get it serviced somewhat regularly (or not at all).

Personally, now that I know something about these cars, I'd rather buy one from a certifiable aficionado (IE - Holbrook's 535 from a few weeks back) than from someone with a dealer serviced offering.

best, whit

granit_silber
04-12-2005, 08:31 AM
Hey Ashley.

I think it's hard to judge how well a car's been driven/cared for unless there's concrete evidence (IE., service records) available. My thinking here on the track bit is: most people who track their cars are fanatics and attend to their every need. Others simply drive like they stole it and get it serviced somewhat regularly (or not at all).

Personally, now that I know something about these cars, I'd rather buy one from a certifiable aficionado (IE - Holbrook's 535 from a few weeks back) than from someone with a dealer serviced offering.

best, whit

Whit,
Thanks man.
What I meant with the track comment was that he has babied this car. I've known this man for almost three years and I feel pretty confident that this M3 has been nothing but loved and taken care of; and I would never buy one of these that I wasn't absolutely sure on. Anyways, it's probably a pipe dream.

About the cost of ownership, we've talked a lot about the e34 M5, but what about this model M3. When does an M motor have to be rebuilt? Will it cost as much as the M5 to rebuild? Suspension components (lifespan, etc...)

thanks guys,
ashley

Rory535i
04-12-2005, 08:41 AM
I was in a '95 M3 (euro version 3.0L) and although it was quick and fun to drive i don't think it would keep me entertained for long. Completely different experience to driving an E34 all the same. Unless it was the 3.2 with 300bhp+ i don't think i could justify the expense of owning one.

MP525i
04-12-2005, 08:42 AM
Whit,
Thanks man.
What I meant with the track comment was that he has babied this car. I've known this man for almost three years and I feel pretty confident that this M3 has been nothing but loved and taken care of; and I would never buy one of these that I wasn't absolutely sure on. Anyways, it's probably a pipe dream.

About the cost of ownership, we've talked a lot about the e34 M5, but what about this model M3. When does an M motor have to be rebuilt? Will it cost as much as the M5 to rebuild? Suspension components (lifespan, etc...)

thanks guys,
ashley

hi ashley,

first off, it would be the best decision you've made if you decide to buy it. i went from a '92 525i 2 years ago into a '95 avus blue/black m3. sure the car needs a lot more attention (maintenance wise) than my 5er did, but the driving satisfaction more than makes up for it.

be prepared though, they don't call it ///Money for nothing.

if you could provide the year and mileage i can probably tell you a few things to look out for or keep in mind.

off the top of my head of things you might want to ask him:

-have you replaced the plastic with the metal in regards to the radiator.
-have you replaced the rear shock mounts and rear trailing arm bushings (rear shock mounts especially!!! if it busts through sheet metal it will be a bundle to replace)
-if it's an early model (build date 10/95 or less) has he replaced the retainers.
-when was the last time he did the inspection I or II process.

once i get the information on the year and how much milage it has, i'll have a better understanding of what "possibly" could be wrong with it.

good luck ashley and i expect to see pictures if you buy it. :D

-mike