PDA

View Full Version : OT: E90 launch

jplacson
04-11-2005, 09:47 AM
Just got back from BMW Phil launch of the new 3-series.

Fantastic car... funny looking grille... funny looking lights (both front and rear)... cost cutting here and there (hood insulation is only half the hood) ... no provision for a spare tire (all tires are run-flats)... interior cabin is about the same size as the E34 already. I think the car is just 3 inches shorter than the E34 actually.

Dashboard isn't driver-centric anymore... so without the iDrive, it kinda looks bare and empty. Controls are a bot farther from reach now. There's an AUX-IN 3.5mm jack for iPod owners. Trunk space is about the same as the E34 as well with some drawers, and shelves and stuff in the back.

Sports seats are kinda weird... they moved the controls for sliding the seat to the front...aka Japanese position.

Glove box is REALLY small. Cupholders for both the driver and passenger can be found on the passenger-side dash... driver's cupholder pops out and rotates toward the driver.

Kalevera
04-11-2005, 12:49 PM
If that's all the bad....what's the good?

Alan_525i
04-11-2005, 01:42 PM
Was at the Three Acorss America in Philly a couple weeks ago.

I really liked the seats and the controls, didn't notice that much of a difference between them and mine. The adjustable lumbar (4 way) and electric side bolsters were really cool. I found the car to be smaller than mine when it came to overall comfort, but very comparable to an E39 (which I also find smaller than the E34). My BIGGEST complaint is the front grille with the big chrome tops on the kidneys. Hideous. They should be like the ones on the 5 not the 6. Overall I was very impressed with the car. The plastics are definilty better than the E46. The steering wheel is ridiculously small and thick, very sporty. I was very impressed. But I will always drive a 5 so I doubt one would ever be in my future. Maybe an M3 four door...maybe.

jplacson
04-11-2005, 08:53 PM
Engine!!!!!!!! 330i pumps out 258bhp!!! That's very close to M3 levels already.

More bells & whistles than the E60.

Wiper blades are some new thing... no retaining arms for the blades. It's just one arm that holds the rubber. The rubber bends to the shape of the glass.

Active steering is an option already, and I think standard on the 330i

Dual-AC already.

My main gripe is that BMW is now appearing to market the 3 as "almost a 5". That's fine and dandy for people who wanted a 5 but can't afford one... but that kinda dilutes the main trait of the 3.

A few years ago, the 3 had it's own distinct market. A person who loved the 3 wouldn't get a 5 or a 7. The 5 buyers wouldn't get a 3 or a 7... etc..etc. Now they seem to be taking the Benz approach.."Buy our affordable version if you can't afford our bigger cars"

WTF?!?! The new 3 is as big as the old 5. The new 1 is as big as the old 3. I know they say people are getting fatter and bigger... but come on!!! Hehehehe

I really like the car though. Front grille and lights still look weird though. "Kidney" grille looks more like a Pontiac grille in person

http://www.motordesktop.com/wallpaper/sportscars/Pontiac%20GTO%202004%20-%201024x768.jpg

liquidtiger720
04-11-2005, 10:11 PM
i cant wait to see it when it comes to s.f..

jplacson
04-12-2005, 06:00 AM
wanna see something with a similar grille to the new E90? ;)

http://www.motordesktop.com/wallpaper/sportscars/Pontiac%20GTO%202004%20-%201024x768.jpg

What made me feel bad was that BMW seems to be marketing the 3 as "almost a 5"... duh. If I wanted a five...I'd get a five. The price between a 520i and the 320i isn't THAT far off.

The bad thing was that they seem to be losing sight of what the 3 really stands for...a sporty LITTLE car.

The E36 and E46 are so cramped in the back because I feel the car should've stayed a coupe. You want a sedan? Get a 5. Can't afford it? Get a pre-owned one. A pre-owned 5 is cheaper than a new E90...why force the issue??? Just to say "I have the new 2005 model"? Geez, this isn't the 80's anymore...

Although the technology on the E90 is amazing... it's leaps and bounds away from the E46... and surpasses the E60 in a lot of parts. Oh, did I mention that I hate the new driver-side mounted power-window controls? I liked them in the center console. It was easier to pay the parking attendant, or tollbooth guy with the controls at the center. And the controls aren't exactly close by. You kinda have to reach forward to get to them... weird. Along with the Jap style seat adjustment in front (instead of all on the side)

BMW shouldn't forget that they're NOT a Benz... and I don't want them to be. If I wanted a Benz... I'll buy a Benz.

A/T should have been a no-no on all BMWs. It's either M/T or SMG/paddles... I'm not really fond of the regular Steptronic stuff their A/T models have... shifts just the same as setting the thing to sport. I don't care how good the A/T is. That's not the point. A BMW is meant to be driven... not riden. Besides, even on an SMG system, it'll behave like a regular A/T set on sport. (The sport mode is another gripe of mine...although Jeremy of Top Gear doesn't like it on the M3... I don't like it PERIOD.) All BMW A/Ts should be set to "sport" by default. :P Get a Volvo or something if you don't like it. It doesn't feel any more jarring... it just shifts better. The button should be "cruise/econo" mode. The default should be "sport". I'm glad I have an M/T... but I get annoyed seeing an indicator saying "sport" or whatever on my friend's Bimmers.

BMW seems to be getting caught up in the weirdest trends. The Hot-Hatch, SUV, bigger cars... hmmm... well, I guess sales dictate everything nowadays. But I don't think they needed to sacrifice the image of the 1 or the 3 in any way. The 1-series is a great car. And they shouldn't apologize for the buyer if he/she can't afford a 3... It should be, "You're getting something that can corner better than the 5!" ... The 1, 3, 5 & 7 shouldn't be targetting similar markets at all!

I've met a lot of people with E46 models who would've been happier in an E39... but since the E46 was "new"...

Oh well... different strokes. I guess it boils down to pride and whatever if you can't stomach buying a CPO from the dealer simply cuz it's "used" vs. buying a newer but smaller car than what you really wanted.

To be honest, I'm fond of small cars. I would've gotten an E30 had a good one come by me before my E34. As much as I love my E34 (her name is Annette), I really prefer the size of the E30 2-door.

While I still don't have money... I'm glad I wasn't floored by the E90. That means I have time to save for the 2-series!!! :P

emw525E34
04-14-2005, 02:21 AM
Interior space is almost as big as a 5-series. Its lighter than E46 so, it should be more fuel efficient!.
6Speed auto. 6speed manual an option (used to be opposite).
Engine covers are all new, so E46 owners would feel better at the upgrade, should they choose to do so.
RunFlat tires (great for the ladies) but I hate these type of technology.
Longer service interval, longer warranty. For those busy people.
Excellent chassis design with new 1-series derived rear suspension.
No i-drive bs for Philippine market!. (i-Drive too smart for the average driver ???)

Chip
04-14-2005, 08:47 AM
The new e90 looks more like a pontiac grand am to me. Give me an e30 anyday.
I have to agree with the runflat tires, don't like the new technology- they are very costly and not many choices.

Interior space is almost as big as a 5-series. Its lighter than E46 so, it should be more fuel efficient!.
6Speed auto. 6speed manual an option (used to be opposite).
Engine covers are all new, so E46 owners would feel better at the upgrade, should they choose to do so.
RunFlat tires (great for the ladies) but I hate these type of technology.
Longer service interval, longer warranty. For those busy people.
Excellent chassis design with new 1-series derived rear suspension.
No i-drive bs for Philippine market!. (i-Drive too smart for the average driver ???)

jplacson
04-14-2005, 12:40 PM
Frankie... it isn't lighter than the E46... at least that's not how BMW phrased it. Their claim is... it may be a lot larger...but it's almost the same weight. It's a BIT heavier... not as heavy as it should be had they not used aluminum and magnesium throughout the car.

Power-weight ratio is much better...coupled with their new engine designs, makes more a much more efficient machine.

Run-flats... well, I personally like them. Unless you track your car... they are great for saving your rims should you hit a road hazard.

Here in the Phil, we content with vandals who just enjoy throwing nails on highways... yes, they should be shot...hung... or dragged behind one of our cars... but alas we have to live with them.

I'd rather have run-flats when I go out of town... driving along some dark country road with no service station (well, decent looking one...not one of those gas stations from a horror flick) in sight.

Frankie, I'm currently discussing a potential deal with Goodyear to test their new Z rated run-flats (they used to be called the Eagle F1 Aquasteel) Although I think they now have Eagle F1s that are EMTs as well. We'll see how things go for the club. They're pretty proud of their new 2nd gen run-flats which boast high speed ratings + longer zero-pressure capabilities. The new E90 staff training was running the slalom with no pressure on all tires. Less weight on the car as well... you can ditch your spare and the jack (and all tire-changing relatied tools) ... that's at least 15-20lbs off your car's weight.

iDrive wasn't brought into the Phil market since GPS nav was it's main faeture... and that doesn't work too well in our cities. You lose GPS signal pretty often (along EDSA, you lose GPS signal at least 4 times for 10-20km at least... and within Makati, GPS signal is almost nil.) and our one-way streets change so often, it's almost a game.

I'm not too fond of the new dash design though... isn't driver-centric anymore. :( Window controls which used to be easy to operate when paying the parking attendant are now by the door... not by your hand...but further forward. :( Dash looks too flat for my taste.

Funny thing is... the E90 320i is pretty closely priced to the E60 520i... hmm... I think I'd rather get the 520i if I had the money. E90 cost cutting isn't to my liking (engine insulation is gone... seats are manual... interior room is smaller) vs. the E60.

Right now, the dealers have dropped about US$20,000 off the sticker of the E46 325i M Sport model... That puts the 325M Sport equal to the new E90 320i (4-banger...weird... thought they'd rid the 3-series of 4 bangers with the intro of the 1-series) ... which one would you guys get? The E46 325i MSport, or the new E90 320i standard?

jplacson
04-14-2005, 12:47 PM
Chip... HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! I posted that EXACT car on our club board!!! Some people thought it was the upcoming M3!!!!

Yes, the new grilles do look like Pontiac grilles. :( Started with the funny looking 6-series.

Run-flat tires have been offered by all the major tire manufacturers for quite some time now. From Goodyear to Michelin to Bridgestone...and I think Pirelli is the most recent manufacturer to join the run-flat line-up.

I don't know about the others, but GY used to have Eagle Aquasteel runflats... these were highspeed rated tires... I think they were standard on the Vettes a few years ago. Not sure. I'm trying to see if GY has any Z-rated RF tires cuz for 95% of the driving I do (non-track) ... they would be such a big relief to not have to worry about blowing a tire on some nail left by some jerks on a dark country road. (Just to make you stop so they can car-jack you)