PDA

View Full Version : M-Tech suspension in non-MTech cars?

Interceptor
04-11-2005, 06:00 AM
My shocks/springs are on their way to the holy hunting grounds so I'm considering a suspension upgrade. Bilstein is too expensive for me, Sachs drops the front for 35 mm (this seems a bit too much, right?) and that leaves me with the factory M-Technic shocks/springs for my '91 525i. My question is: what parts do I need to make a swap? Only shocks and springs or is there anything else I'm not aware of? If anyone has a better suggestion - I'm all ears :)

Thanks in advance!

grave77
04-11-2005, 06:38 AM
Well ... I never tried this yet ... but regarding shocks and springs thats all u need for the time being... if u need the full M5 system u also need the sway bars too. if thats too expencive for u. u can start with the shocks and springs then do the sway bars front and rear. you can check Brunos site http://www.bmwe34.net he has alot of upgrades including the suspension. take a look there ... hes also a member in this forum. good luck

Interceptor
04-11-2005, 08:01 AM
Well ... I never tried this yet ... but regarding shocks and springs thats all u need for the time being... if u need the full M5 system u also need the sway bars too. if thats too expencive for u. u can start with the shocks and springs then do the sway bars front and rear. you can check Brunos site http://www.bmwe34.net he has alot of upgrades including the suspension. take a look there ... hes also a member in this forum. good luck
I asked that because I noticed there are different part numbers for different years of production (also 2 versions of both - standard and M-Tech). Sway bars are right after the suspension on my upgrade list - Bruno has a great article about it, and it seems there's no difference between different types, installation wise.

grave77
04-11-2005, 08:09 AM
well ... I think that most E34 has the same suspension system ... the differance in the part number might relate to the manufacturer year. Bruno has all the information about the part numbers ... but I had my suspension modified 3 years ago .. I didnt find it that critical. anyway good luck ... and lets hear more information from ppl who did this upgrade.

liquidtiger720
04-11-2005, 08:39 AM
I can't help you with the mtech numbers but with the sachs kit. It really dosnt lower it too much. How low dont you want to go?

With the sachs kit, it keeps the rear at the same height and drops the front to get rid of the wheel gap. Right now, I have -.5 to 0 finger gap in the rear (yea, I am real scientific) and about a 2 finger gap in front. This is with a fairly new sachs kit setup.

these arnt the greatest pictures, but you get the idea.
http://www.bimmer.info/forum/showthread.php?t=10121&highlight=sachs+kit

grave77
04-11-2005, 09:04 AM
is this a normal Sachs kit ? or sport ? how about the springs ? this looks to me lowerd than the OEM !!

liquidtiger720
04-11-2005, 11:27 AM
is this a normal Sachs kit ? or sport ? how about the springs ? this looks to me lowerd than the OEM !!
It is the Sachs sprorting kit. It is only a little lower. The orignal pictures are of the OEM suspension with about 130k with some block shocks.

Interceptor
04-12-2005, 01:05 AM
I can't help you with the mtech numbers but with the sachs kit. It really dosnt lower it too much. How low dont you want to go? As I said in my original post, Sachs lowers the front by 35 mm (1.38"). I feel that's a bit too much for me (I have to climb a lot of curbs, unfortunately), but I still want a stiffer ride with more road feel. I was thinking more like 25 mm (1").

grave77
04-12-2005, 06:41 AM
by the way .. how much it cost to get the Sachs kit? springs and shocks.

Interceptor
04-12-2005, 08:02 AM
Sachs kit with 4 springs and 4 shocks that lowers only the front by 35 mm here (Croatia, Europe) costs $850.

granit_silber
04-12-2005, 08:36 AM
Last price I saw was around $690 USD.
When you replace the rear end make sure to find out if you have the self-leveling suspension. If you do, add another $170-200 for an elimination kit.
-ashley

liquidtiger720
04-12-2005, 09:14 AM
The price is 690 shipped from bma.

grave77
04-12-2005, 11:36 PM
well thats expensive! ... I'm lucky that we have second hand AC-Schnitzer kit available ... they cost all together around 223$. But .. is there a differance in the hight between the M-tech and Sachs?

liquidtiger720
04-12-2005, 11:52 PM
well thats expensive! ... I'm lucky that we have second hand AC-Schnitzer kit available ... they cost all together around 223$. But .. is there a differance in the hight between the M-tech and Sachs?

For me, it was comparatively cheaper than buying new h&r springs and koni Shocks. For components as important as a suspension, I just dont feel right using second hand parts (minus swaybars and stress bars).

But 223 for is a good price for some shocks/springs.

I believe the m-tech is closer to the OEM height, then comes the Sachs kit, then all the other aftermarket springs.

bmwe34:
H&R: Moderately stiff ride. (1.3" front - 1" rear)

Eibach: Moderately stiff ride. (1.3" front - 1" rear)

Racing Dynamics: Slightly stiff ride. (1" front - .75" rear)

Bavarian Auto: Close to stock ride. (1.3-1.5" front - 1" rear)

Dinan: Sport spring that almost doesn't lower the car.

M5 springs: front works with any E34. Rear will not work unless you have a self-leveling suspension.

Sach "sporting" kit: bodge turbo gas/Shach spec Eibach springs, not as stiff as the bilstein/Other spring combination. (1.25" drop front). It seems that on the 540i, it created a drop of 2" front and 1.25" rear...

grave77
04-13-2005, 12:15 AM
Seems like I need to Adj. my car height .. its lower than all those figures. I think it has left 1" or less @ front and -0.XX something in the rear .. add to this that it's getting softer on the rear as sometimes the wheels hit the rear wing from the inside. Do you a have a picture for any E34 with a lowering kit? any one with the kits you mentioned. you can take a look at those 2 pictures

ftp://divineftp.no-ip.org/NewFolder/image_00086.jpg
ftp://divineftp.no-ip.org/NewFolder/image_00076.jpg

grave77
04-13-2005, 12:23 AM
As I mentioned above to liquidtiger... this is expensive ... this amount I can install a lovely turbo charger ... but I was trying to compare the prices we got here and the prices at ur places. I'm going to consider this upgrade maybe in the 2 months coming. as this AC-Schnitzer kit is done ... springs are getting weaker from the rear, its turning into a low-rider very soon :p

liquidtiger720
04-13-2005, 12:50 AM
Those numbers are the amount it drops.

Sorry, I don't have any saved pictures. I'm sure there are a ton on the net. Try www.bimmerforums.com

Can you really get a turbo charger for 700 bucks? hehe.

The choice is up to you. Choose something that will make you happier. Hopefully somebody with more knowledge than me will chime in some time soon.

grave77
04-13-2005, 12:59 AM
well in Dubai ... the whole engine is for 600 bucks ... I was offered to have a turbo charger with intercooler all with installtion for around 750 bucks ... the only thing that stopped me was that they were not able to retune the chip so I had to ask Mark.D about this 1st. or I had to install the 745i 87 model DME to make it work. but I didn't want that mess. programming is faster and better too.