PDA

View Full Version : Shimmy at front wheels

BigKriss
04-11-2005, 02:39 AM
My car starts shimming at 150km (approx 95 miles). I thinking its the steering links. I had the upper thrust arm bushings replaced about 5000 kms ago.

When my steering wheel is pointing straight, the car going to the right. Damm. I have had a wheel alignment.

I have the steering links parts (Lemforder of course);
- 2 tie rods
- idler arm
- and the center tie rod

How hard is this job? Besides reading

http://www.bmwe34.net/e34main/maintenance/steering/steering_link.htm

is there anything else to look out for? I have to also buy a tie rod puller. Do you guys have any recommendations?

grave77
04-11-2005, 07:04 AM
for me it seems like u have a bad wheel or rim on the front ... I had this problem before ... and it was due to a bad rim .. I had to fix the rimms at some work shop. after that I was still having the vibration .. I checked the wheels again and I had a bad tire I replaced it and everthing went ok. this will also cause the car to go left or right depending on how bad the wheels are. just double check them at a wheel balancer ... also make them check the rims circular motion. last thing is to check the berings, while the car is lifted try to hold the wheels and push the edges try to find a gap in this movment if u did ... then u have them loose and u need to replace. keep us updated

632 Regal
04-11-2005, 01:11 PM
bad rim or off balanced front tire, what I heard is the center link is a bitch to get off the pittman arm. SOmeone was doing this last week and I didnt read a follow up about what he ended up doing to get it to pop.

BigKriss
04-11-2005, 07:00 PM
i'm going to buy two new tyres for the rear and rotate the wheels (front to rear, the rear to the front). The front tires are only 8 months old, so i thought it wasn't going to be them. i don't know now.

grave77
04-11-2005, 08:56 PM
worth a try ... start with simple stuff then go serious. it tends to be silly stuff all the time. any wheel dealer would help u up with a check. I think they might do the check for free if u bought the 2 tires. and while the front is lifted check the bearings ur self. I told u shake the wheels with ur hands looking for a gap. if u found a noticeable one then that's ur haunt.

BigKriss
04-11-2005, 09:46 PM
thanks grave, i will get back to you on how I go.