PDA

View Full Version : Auto to manual conversion

karl1171
04-10-2005, 02:36 PM
I'm not actually a big fan of auto boxes, but the car(s) I'm after seem to be more plentiful in auto form (525, or possibly 525tds).

I've wondered on a few occasions if its practical to replace an auto box with a manual. I gues it would be sourced from a breakers.

shogun
04-10-2005, 08:44 PM
It has been done by Gale
http://www.nmia.com/~dgnrg/page_41.htm

Kalevera
04-10-2005, 09:17 PM
525 is a bit easier as parts are more readily available (at least, in the states) than for the 535.

But still, I doubt it would be practical. Especially if you have someone else do it for you, it'll probably cost at least 50% of what the car does. When I looked into having someone else do it for me, it was going to cost $4000+ (done by a well-known BMW expert with used parts and new wear items). Personally, I could get it done for less than $1000 and my time.

So, the choice is yours. I'm utterly stuck on my car and wouldn't sell it to buy a manual. The question is -- how irrational can you be? :)

best, whit

infinity5
04-10-2005, 10:38 PM
unless you find an auto in mint condition don't get one, just go for whatever decent manual you can get.

Lowell is right though, if you do it yourself you'll only be spenidng $1-2k.

I'd really like to convert mine but.... i think i'd have to spend several hundred dollars in tools alone just to prepare for it... take a week off work.. etc etc. fork over the slightly-silly ammount of money the Euro Depot wants for a conversion kit (i only say silly becuase the other 5-spd covnersion kits are like 1000$ less than the one for my car.. damn this enmourmously slow V8)

genphreak
04-10-2005, 11:17 PM
[QUOTE=infinity5]unless you find an auto in mint condition don't get one, just go for whatever decent manual you can get...

I've looked into it and have decided to give it a miss for the time-being... and I've got an old M30 (535): the easiest one to do...

Changing a Ford/GM is easy in comparison... these cars are too carefully designed, little bits everywhere to make the job so much more expensive and time-consuming. Best way would eb if you get a complete donor car to remove the parts from. Good luck if you do, and be sure to let us all know how it goes...

JoeS
04-10-2005, 11:32 PM
It took me three days and i cleaned every thing as i went.

infinity5
04-10-2005, 11:34 PM
where'd you get your parts? did you run into any major issues? did you have a lift? any tool issues? :) *bursts with interest*

It took me three days and i cleaned every thing as i went.

Paul_540i
04-11-2005, 01:22 PM
I simply wouldn't have bought an E34 if I couldn't find a manual 540. Don't get on with autos at all, I mean maybe if they automated the steering and braking too I'd be interested cos then I could go to sleep while "driving". With an auto box it feels like you're half way there anyway :D