PDA

View Full Version : Strange sound located....I think, 90 M5

e34it
04-10-2005, 09:58 AM
Well the sound i was having, the kind of bad wheel bearing sound but not from the wheels is coming from underneath the car near the floor boards in the front, is happens when the throttle is given, in neutral and in motion, more prevalent at lower speeds, and louder when the engine is warm and the oil temp is up, i think it is coming from the tranny, but i am afraid to ask what components might need replacing in there. could the sound be from old tranny gear oil? or is it the tranny about to go to sleep on me? its has not been affecting the driveability and the sound has been constant, anyone else heard of this before? please help me.... :(

dmenheere
04-10-2005, 05:31 PM
I would guess it is a bad throwout bearing ... and while your in there change the clutch and pilot bearing. I don't know if this is your problem but I have been down a similar path with my 91 M5 and it turned out to be the throwout bearing ... mine had the noise all the time whether it was hot or not. Also my throwout bearing was brand new when it made this noise.

hope that helps,

Dave M, 91 M5, 221,000+ miles

Jr ///M5
04-10-2005, 08:34 PM
It makes a difference if the installer lubes the throwout bearing when installing it. Logic says, lube it....but that's not correct. Do not use any lube at all on the throwout bearing. Although the surfaces must be squeaky clean, the lube attracts the dust and particles from the wearing clutch disc and causes the bearing to fail.

Jr

dmenheere
04-11-2005, 11:06 AM
Installed per instructions ... throwout bearing now uses a plastic sleeve which does not require lubrication ... but had the noise as soon as I let out the the clutch for the first time. Lived with the noise and replaced the pilot bearing based on someone's expert opinion, still had a noise and then pulled it apart again and put new parts in again and it finally made no noise. I think it was just a bad throwout bearing from the start. Many miles ago and no funny noises since. Live and learn I guess.

Dave

PS: pulling the tranny no longers represents the challenge it once did ;-)