PDA

View Full Version : No A/C or Recirc Button Lights

Sinnbad
04-09-2005, 08:43 PM
My wife's 1993 525it A/C and recirc buttons are not working. The rear defroster button works fine (1 out of three not bad!). When we got the car (6 months ago) all the buttons worked fine. From then to now, it was intermittent that they would work, but now, nothing. Anybody have the same problems? Any sugestions? Thanks a bunch, I love this forum!

Sinnbad

Paul in NZ
04-09-2005, 09:35 PM
the lights wont work unless the fan is on.....

Sinnbad
04-10-2005, 05:43 AM
the lights wont work unless the fan is on.....

The fan is on when we try this. I have also tried it in all different temp configurations. I just need the A/C for the summertime. Thanks for the responce.

Sinnbad

JonE
04-10-2005, 08:21 AM
Low on refridgerant?

Bellicose Right Winger
04-10-2005, 01:08 PM
I've got the same problem. Looks like my '93 525 lost most of its refrigerant over the winter.

Paul Shovestul

My wife's 1993 525it A/C and recirc buttons are not working. The rear defroster button works fine (1 out of three not bad!). When we got the car (6 months ago) all the buttons worked fine. From then to now, it was intermittent that they would work, but now, nothing. Anybody have the same problems? Any sugestions? Thanks a bunch, I love this forum!

Sinnbad

Sinnbad
04-10-2005, 07:01 PM
When it came on last. It did not blow cold (low refridg) but why would both the buttons not work? The recirc button should still work? Is there a control module that controls both? Is there a fuse that anyone knows about? Thanks.

Sinnbad

Jon K
04-10-2005, 07:10 PM
When it came on last. It did not blow cold (low refridg) but why would both the buttons not work? The recirc button should still work? Is there a control module that controls both? Is there a fuse that anyone knows about? Thanks.

Sinnbad

There is a harness that it's connected on, maybe one wire is pulled from the back or something, especially if you've done a headunit or something.

http://e34.digital7.com/LCD%20Project/final4.jpg

That gives you an idea of how the switch works. More or less.

Sinnbad
04-11-2005, 05:04 AM
Jon,

Thanks for the tip. I did not do anything different to the car other than driving in during the winter. I will have someone check to make sure it has freon. I check the conection the other day under the radio. Seams fine. Thanks.

Sinnbad

grave77
04-11-2005, 06:51 AM
check the sword ... if its corrupted then u will have nothing working

JonE
04-11-2005, 11:55 AM
I think when the system pressure reaches a certain point (sufficiently depleted refrigerant), then the switches don't seem to work. You probably had just enough left previously that it came on but not enough to make it cold. My wife's mini van AC comes on but is cycling frequently (my clue that it is getting low on refrigerant) and is not blowing very cold right now. Time to fill it up again!

grave77
04-11-2005, 12:29 PM
if the problem is that the fan works and the buttons glow in green without cold air. 1st try to hear the compressor ... is it clicking when u turn on. if not ... there is a sensor on top of the ref. gas reservoir its located on the left just under the head lights. this should sense the gas pressure and tell the compressor to work or not. but before u try to bypass it ... just - as most of guys said - check the gas pressure in the system if its very low then ur problem will be solved by adding gas. but check if there is any leaks before u add it. ( Gas = refrigeration gas ).
one last silly thingy is ... most of the 525i had its button miss connected after some time. moving it on the left or right should tell u if its corrupted. 3 of my friends had this problem too. so check the gas pressure, if ok .. check the sensor. if ok then for sure the button switch is not connecting the compressor.