PDA

View Full Version : I recieved these two boring track photos from my mate.

BigKriss
04-09-2005, 10:19 AM
My first track session. Two pics - I want to share with you. I will change my sig pic to one of these.

http://www.bimmer.info/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=1039&stc=1
http://www.bimmer.info/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=1040&stc=1

winfred
04-09-2005, 10:27 AM
gotta little drift going in the 1st

632 Regal
04-09-2005, 10:57 AM
looks col Kriss

pundit
04-09-2005, 11:01 AM
My first track session. Two pics - I want to share with you. I will change my sig pic to one of these.

Hi Kriss,

How much of that oversteer out of the corner caused by hitting the gas early?
BTW - How are those 18"s coming along?
I think you'll notice a big difference on the track! ;)
Just try and avoid anything chrome plated and Chinese!
What tyre pressures are you running for the track?

BigKriss
04-09-2005, 12:33 PM
I'm doing the same track again on Monday, this time the sessions are not timed. First time I set the front shocks to full hard and tire pressure at 40 psi for both front and rear.

My next session I will run the front shocks on their softest setting (what I use for the street), and run 35 psi front and 40 psi rear.

The adjustable swaybar is on it stiffest setting. As for wheels, i'm still looking at;

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7966252357&ssPageName=STRK:MEBI:IT

18"x8" - replicas

pundit
04-09-2005, 12:42 PM
I'm doing the same track again on Monday, this time the sessions are not timed. First time I set the front shocks to full hard and tire pressure at 40 psi for both front and rear.

My next session I will run the front shocks on their softest setting (what I use for the street), and run 35 psi front and 40 psi rear.

The adjustable swaybar is on it stiffest setting. As for wheels, i'm still looking at;

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7966252357&ssPageName=STRK:MEBI:IT

18"x8" - replicas
Might be really worth spending some time investigating wheels. If you main priority is using them for track work then I'd definately look for something that's well made. There's a heap of stuff out there that looks good... but really isn't. ie. Heavy and not very strong. Heavy wheels take more power to get rolling and more braking to stop. Plus they increase the cars unsprung weight which gives your suspension a harder job of controlling wheel movement. But good strong lightweight wheels cost bucks and you have to decide yourself what suits you best. Then of course there's new tyres! This car business gets expensive don't it! SHITE!! Is that the time?! Time to hit the sack!

Paul in NZ
04-09-2005, 08:40 PM
looks good kris and as winfred just a wee bit of oversteer on the first.The bimmer looks flatter than the old porche following you and if they are in order you are pulling away from him.....

pundit
04-09-2005, 09:08 PM
Kris,

What's the inital 'turn in' like? Does it want to go straight where you point it as soon as you turn the wheel, or does it hesitate slightly. (tyres?) I'm talking about pushing fairly hard into tight corners here. If there is some initial understeer does it change to oversteer on its own as you pass the apex or only if you really press on the gas? - Cheers

Paul in NZ
04-09-2005, 09:26 PM
for what its worth mine hesitates slightly....i am going to try harder tyre pressures.Was talking to a guy with 3.6 m5 with 235 45 17s all round,his recomended pressures are 39 front 41 rear,i run 35 front and rear which i might stick with for commuting,takes the edge off sharp bumps but use the above pressures when more enthusiasm is called for...:)

BigKriss
04-10-2005, 06:02 AM
Pundit,

My steering seems responsive but is has a large dead spot in the middle and the steering wheel is not straight when I'm driving straight. I have new steering links, but yet to install them. I need a tie rod puller.

I would say the car hesitates slightly. The car is easy to drive, but a a quite a bit of steering correction is needed through corners.

Passing through the apex the car only oversteered on full throttle on the second last corner of the track, high speed (about 90 km). Otherwise i was losing grip a lot more at the front than the rear.

Of course I'm describing my experience through a person who has only had the car on the track once before. Today I changed the front pads to EBC redstuff and set the front swaybar to the soft setting. Bolted up the front swaybarlinks tight.