PDA

View Full Version : OT - Spammer jailed for 9 years!

pundit
04-08-2005, 11:03 PM
Spammer jailed in landmark US case (http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems/200504/s1341692.htm)

"A US judge has sentenced a man to nine years in prison for violating anti-spam laws by sending out millions of unsolicited emails using fake addresses.

The judge in Virginia sentenced Jeremy Jaynes of North Carolina accepting the recommendation of a jury that convicted him last November, prosecutor Lisa Hicks-Thomas said.

Ms Hicks-Thomas said the sentence under Virginia law was the first prison term in the United States in a spam case, adding that the state law on spam was used to model a federal spam law approved later by Congress.

"It was not just sending bulk emails, he was falsifying the routing information, disguising the origin," Ms Hicks-Thomas said.

"The end-user couldn't say 'don't sent this to me'."

Jaynes, who operated using the alias "Gaven Stubberfield," was listed by the anti-spam watchdog group Spamhaus as the eighth most prolific spammer in the world.

Ms Hicks-Thomas said prosecutors calculated that Jaynes took in between $US500,000 and $US750,000 ($647,300 and $970,950) a month through the sale of products through the emails.

She said Jaynes also possessed a stolen database of America Online members with some 84 million email addresses." -AFP

Hooray. Lets hope they crucify these SOB's.
Next is the telemarketers. I've been on holidays the past week and I'm averaging three calls a day... "**** off!" and hang up!

Mobius
04-09-2005, 02:25 AM
Ms Hicks-Thomas said prosecutors calculated that Jaynes took in between $US500,000 and $US750,000 ($647,300 and $970,950) a month through the sale of products through the emails.There's no way that many people buy the **** advertised in spam. I'm shocked.

genphreak
04-09-2005, 02:34 AM
There's no way that many people buy the **** advertised in spam. I'm shocked.
The way these guys calculate things, one generated click is worth 1000 spams, one purchase is worth 20 million emails.... its positvely torrid!!! :( GP

pundit
04-09-2005, 05:14 AM
There's no way that many people buy the **** advertised in spam. I'm shocked.
It's simply a numbers game. It maybe only 1 in a 1000 that by this **** but multiply that by 50,000,000 etc.
This spammer was raking in between $500,000 to $750,000 USD per month!!
Go figure!! There's at least one wood duck in every crowd!