PDA

View Full Version : Your LEAST favorite Bimmer??......

Brian C.
04-08-2005, 07:33 PM
Most of us here seem to have a common idea about which BMW we feel is our favorite. Whether we are former, current, or future E34 owners, many of us have found that the classic lines combined with the power, comfort and handling just can't be beat. At least by much of anything outside of Bavaria. ;) But as in any company, not all their products are top shelf. Some were experiments, some were flops doomed by bad marketing or poor construction, and some, well.....some are just god-awfully ugly. (...can you say AZTEC?...)

So as far as ALL OTHER models of BMW, what do you really feel is your LEAST favorite? Is there one that just makes your skin crawl if you should happen to see it? Do you have nightmares about one of your former vehicles that perhaps busted a knuckle or two for no good reason other than poor design? How about a "bad driving experience" or an encounter with a member of the law that put you off to that particular car? Go on......vent a bit. Confess your deep dislike to us here. You'll sleep better. :p

Here's (http://www.unixnerd.demon.co.uk/bmw_models.html) a link to a great UK site by John G. Burns. He has photos and write-ups of most of the models we all know and many that we've only seen in pictures. Lots of good info in his site.

Me............not too many models to complain about. Most older...pre-'70's...cars are just photo images, never having seen one "in the flesh". But as far as my all time yucko-bimmer I have to say it's the E23. Sorry 7-guys. It's just always looked very weird to me. Maybe in it's day, but now if I ever see one on the road.....and I still do occasionally.....they seem to be these slow, diesel covered, 200k+mile slugs. And the grill looks like it's just sucked a lemon. I guess I always was a wide-grill guy. ;) The Z4 comes a close 2nd for fuglyness though. But if anyone feels the need to give away a nice E9/3.0CS.....well.....I promise to give that baby a good home!

Just MY opinion......what's yours???

Brian C.

Paul in NZ
04-08-2005, 07:45 PM
i will probably get flamed but i hate the z3 coupes......even the m coupes

Kalevera
04-08-2005, 07:55 PM
Anything designed by Bangle ;)

Actually, I very much agree with you, Brian, on the e23 assessment -- it's an awkward design towards the rear. But the e65 is horrid.

best, whit

Dan in NZ
04-08-2005, 08:12 PM
E36 compact. Stunted design, E30 rear suspension, 4cyl engines... Why bother?

Tcdoe
04-08-2005, 08:18 PM
I'll have to say the E46 compact but also the E36 compact and touring. Oh and the Z1 was pretty awful too. :( As to the banglebimmers I've learned to like most of them, the exception being the new 6-series. That one just doesn't look right from any angle.

dave b
04-08-2005, 08:23 PM
The new 5 series is, IMO, awful.

The new 7 series had actually grown on me.

Dave

winfred
04-08-2005, 08:40 PM
because you can drop a e36 m3 motor right in and connect it to the 318 tranny and with the lighter body/better gearing it will positively walk away from a factory m3, it's been done so many times supersprint makes a special header for it. i like the e30 rear suspension better then the z bar on the e36, it's stronger and more fun to drive if you know how to handle it. if i find the right ti at the right price i may do one

E36 compact. Stunted design, E30 rear suspension, 4cyl engines... Why bother?

jplacson
04-08-2005, 09:45 PM
All Bangle mangled designs.

Beamer = Bike
Bimmer = Car
Bummer = Bangle

The worst for me is the current 7 series (not the upcoming face-lifted one)

billb
04-08-2005, 10:03 PM
E21...just too awkward between the lithe 2002 and the E30. I absolutely love the lines of the E30...hands down my all-time favorite BMW. Guess it doesn't hurt that it's my daily driver! :D

My wife dislikes M-coupes, but likes Z3s and 4s. I'll have to say that I dislike the X5, but like the X3. Like the E38, the Z8, the E28, and the E31. And of COURSE, the E34...

Interesting thread, Brian! To hijack for a moment, how about favorite Mazda rotaries? 1st gen is my pick! 12A for learning how to get the most out of the 1146 ccs!

winfred
04-08-2005, 10:25 PM
i miss my 83 gsl 12a, i allways wanted to score a wrecked 3rd gen and transplant that twin turbo plant into the 1st gen car, now that'd be a kick in the ass

Interesting thread, Brian! To hijack for a moment, how about favorite Mazda rotaries? 1st gen is my pick! 12A for learning how to get the most out of the 1146 ccs!

Scott C
04-08-2005, 10:30 PM
Least favorite? My E34 525 after I spent the last 2 hours banging out a thrust arm ball joint and breaking one air impact ball joint remover in the process :(

Sadly, my son's 1995 Dodge Neon (yes neon - he needs to learn how to work on cars, it will give him good practice) has a more robust front end that these BMW's...

I am sure I will feel better in the morning after I put it all together and get to drive with no clunking sounds ;)

Scott

Nick.Hay
04-09-2005, 12:19 AM
Possibly the z3 and m-coupe. The Z3 is apparently a non-eventful, lack-lustre thing, imposing as a fun convertible sportscar... I haven't driven one tho. Apparently, the trim is cheap and plasticy, and its not much of a BMW other than the badges.

The M-coupe with that horrid rear turret setup (a-la Volvo p1800 wagon), looks like a bizarre afterthought. However, the M3 motor jammed in there is meant to be a pearler, and tail-happy maddness abounds!! :p

Maybe Bangle's designs are a bit out there, and I too HATED the current 7-series... untill I saw it in the flesh!! What an imposing, luxurious beast!!

Dan in NZ
04-09-2005, 12:27 AM
because you can drop a e36 m3 motor right in and connect it to the 318 tranny and with the lighter body/better gearing it will positively walk away from a factory m3, it's been done so many times supersprint makes a special header for it. i like the e30 rear suspension better then the z bar on the e36, it's stronger and more fun to drive if you know how to handle it. if i find the right ti at the right price i may do one

Ahhhhh but then it wouldn't be a standard 316ti/318ti would it...

genphreak
04-09-2005, 01:00 AM
Yes, like last week when I discoverd Deitrech did up my crankshaft nut up so hard I amlost split the block getting it off!!!

I guess when Heinrech was putting your front-end together he wanted to make sure it'd go a long way too...

One gets the feeling these guys felt the cars would never come apart..

at least we never have to put up with door bolts naturally rusting inside the frame on the inner side... whereupon they either strip the thread 'for you' or politely break off when as you remove them...

The problems one experiences with the shitty fasteners other manufacturers use always helps me to forgive my BMW, let alone the way she looks and drives... :D

I hope its the same for you! :) GP

jplacson
04-09-2005, 07:28 AM
E21 looks bad... unless you've got the rally/GT/widebody body kits on it... but then, it'll look more like a CSL by then. :P

That stock front bumper was really, really bad.

JonE
04-09-2005, 08:50 AM
Not too fond of the old 6 series, E24, I believe. Something about it doesn't look quite right, close, but not just right. Also, I agree the Zcoupes are ugly, the roadsters are nice convertibles but those coupes look like something that the Munsters drive!

winfred
04-09-2005, 10:13 AM
if you leave the 318ti badge on the back it would be :D

Ahhhhh but then it wouldn't be a standard 316ti/318ti would it...

dternst
04-10-2005, 11:08 AM
Any of the Z-Series Models and the X-Series SUWhatever. I also take issue that the engidiots at BMW have lowered themselves enough to think about developing a family van. What the hell are they thinking?

jplacson
04-10-2005, 11:43 AM
Hey man... some families are in a rush to get to where they're going. You need to get to that soccer game in under 10 sec!!!! :lol:

Or by beating that parent to the good parking spot in your kids school. To do that, you need to sprint away from that stop light the microsecond it turns green... and hit 60mph in 5 sec. or less!!!

Hahahaha.

Well, funny story over here in the Philippines. Whenever the club has a fun run out in the country roads...winding and twisting over valleys, and mountain-sides. The guys who are 'trying' to pass us, or are barreling down the opposite side of the road are usually dads in minivans... and NOT the better engineered ones. These are usually the Korean vans that run on really narrow tires and bodies a lot wider than their wheelbase. You'll also see a lot of chop-chop conversion vans trying to hit those winding country roads at max speed (some even attack the corners faster than the club does) It's a miracle these guys don't fall off the cliffs... or maybe they do, we just don't hear about it.

Interceptor
04-11-2005, 01:06 AM
Anything less than 10 years old :)

Nick.Hay
04-11-2005, 01:23 AM
If I recall correctly, the BMW van concept I saw had the lights and front end a-la 7 series...

If BMW made a van, it would have to designed like the current Honda Odyssey. I love these vans, I think they are THE **** (as much as something without a Roundel can be!!) :D
Jet Black Metallic, slammed, with bid wheels!! And those headlights look awesome in the flesh...

Of course, the BMW van concept would also need an //M model, with the V-10 and 7spd SMG of course!!

http://www.honda.com.au/odyssey/odyssey/image+gallery/ext_side.jpg

*http://www.honda.com.au/odyssey/odyssey/image+gallery/ext_doggie.jpg

*Flea-bitten Mongeral only available with Aussie model!! :p

Jose
04-11-2005, 01:41 AM
every new BMW designed from 92 onwards doesen´t really deserve the BMW logo.Poor quality, very bad value for money and above all auwfull design, looks like they got a former Nissan designer.Just look at the new 3-series, it´s an replica of the old 99 Nissan Primera. In the Netherlands the newer BMW´s are compared to Alfa Romeo, you spend more time with your mecanic than you spend with your wife.And these are the words of BMW mecanics!!!!!

Absolutely love the E30, E34 and the E21, specially the Alpina series, 218 bhp with only 930 kg´s ... kick ass.These older model BMW's were made by car lovers who new what rear wheel drive was for....to make life a bit more enjoyable on the darker days of our lives.

Let´s face it, taking one of these "oldies" out when we are feeling grumpy, puts back the smile on our faces like a lollypop does to a crying baby.

blackcat1134
04-11-2005, 07:34 AM
I'd defiently have to say that the new 3 series as well as the X3, are horrible. Poor design, they just do not keep that sleek design that BMW stands for. Another design I dislike is the brand new 740il-760il (E65/E66), they're too widebodied, they remind me way too much of a cheaper version of a Mercedes or Volvo. When I think of a 7-series, I think of the long and thin like the E38.

The new design defiently pulls the idea of a BMW away, I fell in love with BMW back when I was 5 and literally dreamed of owning a 540i E39. When they did release the newer body-style, I was dissapointed, I figured BMW would keep their traditional values. They sort of look like they're made more of plastic than they are of tradtional metal and alloy.

Although I do not like the very cheap 318it model, sort of giving BMW the name of "Anyone can afford one" also broke my image of them as well. Although I do love my BMW, you'll never change my opinion on their newer models.

winfred
04-11-2005, 07:39 AM
just got a good look at a x3 yesterday, looks like that saturn truck thing

blackcat1134
04-11-2005, 07:41 AM
just got a good look at a x3 yesterday, looks like that saturn truck thing

Saturn Vue? I'd agree, the window tinting is the first thing I'd do if I ever owned an X3 (trust me, people would have to pay me in order for me to drive that around.) That SUV has about as much purpose as a Ford Ranger does off the road.

Lennyz525i
04-11-2005, 03:17 PM
The X3 looks hideous to me from any angle, yet I think the car itself is a good concept. The facelifted E65 or E66 I think looks even worse then it did before the facelift. As for the older ones, I love the shark!, do not much like the look of a regular (non S) E28, might be because of those DOT bumpers. Never really liked the looks of the E21 either, love the E30 though.

Blitzkrieg Bob
04-11-2005, 08:43 PM
It that the one that looks like a Honda hatchback of some kind?

I hate those more any Bangle abortion

granit_silber
04-12-2005, 12:22 PM
One of my least favorite Bimmers is the M1 WITHOUT the full race aero kits.

I can't stand the Roundels above both rear tail lights, not to mention the wheels.

Now, that changes when it looks like this
http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Downs/7686/M1_street/M1b.jpg

I don't like the new 5series (e60?) and I didn't like the new 7 until I saw this
http://www.alpina-automobile.de/downloads/testberichte/en1091783395autocar_B7_0804.pdf

That rear spoiler make sense out of the rear-end AND takes approx 1oolbs. of lift off the tail. (it also does 190mph+)

-ashley