PDA

View Full Version : M30 won't idle...

Rory535i
04-08-2005, 07:22 AM
Hi guys, I just got hold of my car after sitting in a container for the last 4 months and it won't idle. It runs as good as it ever did but as soon as it drops to idle speed it stalls. However, it starts again with a few turns and off I go. I had the battery disconnected for the time it was in the container and when i reconnected it i heard a beep. Was this the OBC resetting itself? I've never had this problem before so I'm guessing that maybe I need to adjust the idle speed on the AFM? I haven't had a chance to look at anything yet so I thought I'd consult the board first! :D Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Derek A.
04-08-2005, 07:38 AM
Take the Idle control valve off. Fill it with carb cleaner and shake it around. Do this a couple of times - If you can't hear anything rattling around inside then the valve is probably smoked. Also check for vacuumm leaks, if there is any un metered air entering the engine the car will not idle. Jam a screwdriver in the throttle linkage to keep it running and spray carb cleaner around all the rubber bits and see if your idle changes. I bet you that while it was in astorage a hose collaped or was eaten by a rodent.

Good Luck !

Rory535i
04-08-2005, 07:41 AM
Thanks for the help, I'll give it a go! where's the idle control valve? I'm hoping it's something simple!

Kalevera
04-08-2005, 08:31 AM
Courtesy of our friend Don Gale:

http://www.nmia.com/~dgnrg/oilsender.jpg

best, whit

Rory535i
04-08-2005, 08:46 AM
Thanks very much. Feel like an idiot for not knowing that. I'll let u know how it goes.

Kalevera
04-08-2005, 08:48 AM
Don't....we all had to start somewhere ;)

Rory535i
04-09-2005, 03:26 AM
Thanks Derek, you were right about the idle control valve. took it off and did what you said and it runs like a dream now! made my day! you're on my christmas card list now! thanks again. oh yeah, thanks for the pic too Lowell :)