PDA

View Full Version : Who has an Aussie delivered E34 with functioning stomp test?

pundit
04-08-2005, 02:44 AM
Who has an Aussie delivered E34 with a functioning stomp test? Anyone?
Shogun thinks it may only be the U.S. delivered E34's that have the stomp codes check function. I'd be interested to know what it takes to enable the stomp test if it is not functioning. - TIA

Jr ///M5
04-08-2005, 05:02 AM
USofA requirement only.

jj7
04-08-2005, 05:19 AM
Who has an Aussie delivered E34 with a functioning stomp test? Anyone?
Shogun thinks it may only be the U.S. delivered E34's that have the stomp codes check function. I'd be interested to know what it takes to enable the stomp test if it is not functioning. - TIA

That`d make 2 of us,although my car is a japan import...and i believe many others are interested ....

shogun
04-08-2005, 05:48 AM
To make the question more clear: Pundit means the stomp test ONLY, not the warning messages in the check engine light such as catalysator etc.
I have asked this question already 2 years ago on roadfly, the former U.K. E32 register and on the German 7er.com. None of these cars have a stomp test possibility. Even Johan from Johan and Sean's page was involved, because we both wanted to have that nice feature running too. But no one could give us an answer.
It was started in California and all cars needed to have it, details here
http://www.epa.gov/obd/basic.htm
If someone tells me how to do it on my car with some modifications, I will do it immy. But just inserting the bulb (the socket is standard worldwide) for the stomp test light does not help. I tried it and many others.

myles
04-08-2005, 02:06 PM
My car is Australian delivered. It had no bulb in the check engine light when I got the car, but I put one in, and the stomp test works fine.

pundit
04-08-2005, 05:46 PM
My car is Australian delivered. It had no bulb in the check engine light when I got the car, but I put one in, and the stomp test works fine.
Ahh yes, but does it display codes?
Since I fitted the check lamp bulb it flashes correctly after I stomp the pedal 5 times in 5 seconds but no codes are displayed. According to the Bentley manual if there is no problem present a 1444 code should appear which means no new codes. Mine doesn't. That's why I'm asking if any Aussie E34's do. Just a flashing check lamp doesn't appear to mean it can actually display codes.

genphreak
04-08-2005, 06:15 PM
Since I fitted the check lamp bulb it flashes correctly after I stomp the pedal 5 times in 5 seconds but no codes are displayed. According to the Bentley manual if there is no problem present a 1444 code should appear which means no new codes. Mine doesn't. That's why I'm asking if any Aussie E34's do. Just a flashing check lamp doesn't appear to mean it can actually display codes. I've never been able to get mine to do it either... :( perhaps its a feature to support 'dealer servicing' (chuckles)

pundit
04-08-2005, 06:29 PM
I've never been able to get mine to do it either... :( perhaps its a feature to support 'dealer servicing' (chuckles)
Well in California it's required to ensure emission compliance. Here it's probably not required to ensure stealer profits! ;)

genphreak
04-08-2005, 06:36 PM
Well in California it's required to ensure emission compliance. Here it's probably not required to ensure stealer profits! ;) LOL indeed so... I've always had it in my mind that our cars were just English build cars detuned for our crumby LRP... I would have thought England's emission controls might have stipulated the stomp test too... I guess there is nowhere with emission controls like L.A. (California)... yet!

Paul in NZ
04-08-2005, 06:58 PM
yep our cars are euro spec....

bill g
04-09-2005, 02:43 AM
How is this for a definite answer? My car is Aussie delivered E34 535i - I put a bulb in the check engine light socket and it does respond to the stomp test - it worked first try. Well at least it gives the no fault 1444 code. As far as I know the car has no faults to display a code for (touch wood).
The car was owned from new by the previous owner who always had it serviced by a BMW dealer - it is highly unlikely that the ECU has been swapped (for a Japanese one for example). But I believe used parts suppliers in Melbourne do source cars from Japan.

Bill G

bill g
04-09-2005, 02:55 AM
In addition to what I just said - all I get is the check engine lamp flashing the code sort of like morse code - no actual code nicely printed out on the instrument display nor anywhere else.

Bill G

Paul in NZ
04-09-2005, 03:29 AM
as pundit said

Since I fitted the check lamp bulb it flashes correctly after I stomp the pedal 5 times in 5 seconds but no codes are displayed. According to the Bentley manual if there is no problem present a 1444 code should appear which means no new codes. Mine doesn't. That's why I'm asking if any Aussie E34's do. Just a flashing check lamp doesn't appear to mean it can actually display codes.

bill g
04-09-2005, 04:07 AM
Just to make it clear - I do get a 1444 no fault code flashed out by the lamp. I am reluctant to deliberately create a fault just to find out if the thing will flash out a code for it.

Bill G

genphreak
04-09-2005, 05:09 AM
Just to make it clear - I do get a 1444 no fault code flashed out by the lamp. I am reluctant to deliberately create a fault just to find out if the thing will flash out a code for it.

Bill G

Bill G Why? Go on, it'll be a great contribution!

Just disconnect your crank sensor (2 plugs at the front of the engine, on the fuel injector harness, it'll trigger an event... if you get the wrong one it'll be the oil pressure switch in the oil filter... no big deal either way.

If you are not sure where it is (forgive me if u do) just follow the sensor wire from the crankshaft sensor, over the harmonic balancer between the radiator and the front casing on the motor. The harness connector is plugged into the injection harness, just left of your fuel pressure regulator, (when u are standing on the left of the engine bay, looking at the engine).

Just disconnect, run, check for codes, note them down, reconnect and run!

:) Nice and simple... the harness connector is a tad tricky though...

Let us know and the spirits will again be at ease!!

pundit
04-09-2005, 05:23 AM
How is this for a definite answer? My car is Aussie delivered E34 535i - I put a bulb in the check engine light socket and it does respond to the stomp test - it worked first try. Well at least it gives the no fault 1444 code. As far as I know the car has no faults to display a code for (touch wood).
The car was owned from new by the previous owner who always had it serviced by a BMW dealer - it is highly unlikely that the ECU has been swapped (for a Japanese one for example). But I believe used parts suppliers in Melbourne do source cars from Japan.

Bill G
Well the fact that you get a 'no fault' 1444 code seems to indicate that yours is a 'goer'. I would expect that if a problem did occur you should get a fault code appearing. As for used spares, you are quite correct about the majority coming in from Japan. I was in BMSPARES in Melbourne just yesterday and the guy told me most of their parts cars come from Japan. He is going to let me know when an M-Tech equipped E34 arrives. I'm after the front & rear bumpers, side skirts & M-Tech sway bars provided they don't want a King's ransom for them! ;)

BTW - I wonder what is required to enable the stomp test to display codes on a vehicle that is not factory equipped to do so? ECU, DME chip, some module in the instrument cluster... what?? There must be something either in the firmware or a missing component that allows the displaying of codes.

My feeling that if the source of the codes is the DME chip (mine has an EAT chip) and mine isn't currently displaying codes, then there must be something quite simple to enable the code display. Remember the codes are stored even on a 'non stomp test' enabled E34. After all they can be read by the stealers BMW diagnostic equipment.

shogun
04-09-2005, 05:25 AM
But then he still has the fault recorded in the system (?).
Who does the check engine reset?
Also for this I can use the PEAKE to clear all faults and to estinguish the check engine light.
The PEAKE is worth the money of 150 US $:
-fault code read
-check engine reset
-oilservice reset
-inspection reset
-FII function also to check the cylinders 7-12 on a 12 cylinder (first 1-6 are checked with fault code read)

pundit
04-09-2005, 08:03 AM
But then he still has the fault recorded in the system (?).
Who does the check engine reset?
Also for this I can use the PEAKE to clear all faults and to estinguish the check engine light.
The PEAKE is worth the money of 150 US $:
-fault code read
-check engine reset
-oilservice reset
-inspection reset
-FII function also to check the cylinders 7-12 on a 12 cylinder (first 1-6 are checked with fault code read)
Shogun has a point here. Even with a correctly functioning stomp test you will still need to reset the system if you do the repairs yourself. Taking it to a stealer just for a reset will possibly incur a 'smart-arse-penalty-reset-charge' if they don't also carry out the repairs themselves. While I'm sure there is a way to do a manual reset by bridging pins etc. on the connector (such as the service reset procedure) it maybe risking more than it's worth. Blowing up an ECU after shorting the wrong pins maybe a good incentive to buy a PEAK code checker/resetter. :)

Of course even if you have no intention of carrying out any code related repairs yourself a functioning stomp test may help the owner from being ripped off by an unscrupulous stealer as it should give the owner some idea of what the problem is.

shogun
04-09-2005, 08:49 AM
Pundit,
I have to add something: The younger the car, the more data you will get from PEAKE. So just let's take your 1990 535iA, that is chart 1 in the manual of PEAKE. The flwg can be shown:
DME control unit selftest, electrical fuel pump relay, idle speed actuator (open), evaporative purge control valve, airflow meter, emission (lambda) control, check engine lamp, fuel injectors cyl. 1,3,5 , fuel injectors cyl. 2,4,6, idle speed actuator (close), oxy sensor heating relay, oxy sensor, vehicle speed signal not present, AT kick-down prevent solenoid valve, control unit supply, automatic stability control/DWA, A/C compressor, idle CO potentiometer, intake air temp sensor, coolant temp sensor, engine drag torque control (MSR), ignition timing intervention, idle switch, full load switch, torque converter clutch, unspecified DME output stage, and the check engine reset function, oilservice reset function, inspection reset.
A 1995 530iA would have double that number of info.
535iA 1991, 1992, 1993 have the same like 1990.

The Peake only shows 2 letters or numbers and then you have to check in the manual what that means. Because the unit is so nice small.