PDA

View Full Version : strange handbrake trouble...

skr
04-07-2005, 06:11 PM
my handbrake didn't work very well in the past either but since last week it barely slows the car down and can't keep it from moving if i use it to stop on an incline. i re tensioned the wire and it improved but it's still not proper. any sugestions on this one? whould apreciate some advice

genphreak
04-07-2005, 06:18 PM
Check the parts for your car's rear brakes in the online ETK; www.realoem.com.
The handbrake pads are small and may not be hard to change, if they are at fault. Can;t think what else...

Jeff N.
04-07-2005, 06:34 PM
Did you adjust the handbrake shoes out before you adjusted the cable? If not, that's likely your problem.

Do this...

- release the cable back to the past position
- adjust up the rear hand brake shoes (Bentley outlines)
- re-tension the cable.

This should fix it.

Jeff

my handbrake didn't work very well in the past either but since last week it barely slows the car down and can't keep it from moving if i use it to stop on an incline. i re tensioned the wire and it improved but it's still not proper. any sugestions on this one? whould apreciate some advice

genphreak
04-07-2005, 08:48 PM
Did you adjust the handbrake shoes out before you adjusted the cable? If not, that's likely your problem. Do this... - release the cable back to the past position
- adjust up the rear hand brake shoes (Bentley outlines)
- re-tension the cable.
This should fix it.
Jeff

Jeff, is this something you've seen before? I've never had to do an adjustment- however I guess it means someone's driven with the handbrake on or (somehow) otherwise worn the pads? Perhaps doing the odd 180 degree turn might stretch the cable too?

The owner's manual talks about regularly conditioning the pads- every 3 months or so it says to "pull the handbrake up **lightly** when driving..." (perhaps a 180 will qualify... ;)) in order to clean oxidation or other crap off the linings.

Have you done this btw skr? It might be dirty linings?

Am sure the adjustment will work, however I was supposing there there might be significant wear. Since the hand-brake is a safety device and these cars are 15 years old it seems to be something worth a small note.

Have many of us had to adjust our hand-brakes before?

You've probaly guessed, I am a part-changer- I figure if you have to go under there, might as well change the faulty bit out. I imagine the pads pretty cheap though... and would like to know for when I get round to doing the rear brakes on my car, which incidentally won't do a 180 very easily- perhaps my pads need some attention (or adjustment at least)... :D (But my brake-lever feels doesn't come up further than normal).

:) GP