PDA

View Full Version : What's average gas mileage for E34 M5?

e34it
04-07-2005, 07:20 AM
I was wondering if anyone knows what the average gas mileage might be for an E34 M5, i wan to see if mine is pretty accurate with other M5's. The OBC says 14.3 MPG but i dont think its right, maybe it is though.

granit_silber
04-07-2005, 08:09 AM
I was wondering if anyone knows what the average gas mileage might be for an E34 M5, i wan to see if mine is pretty accurate with other M5's. The OBC says 14.3 MPG but i dont think its right, maybe it is though.

Wow!

I didn't think the M5 would do that well. My 525iA gets around 18-19 in the city, maybe there's something wrong with mine.
-ashley

Anthony (M5 in Calgary)
04-07-2005, 08:11 AM
In summer, mine is consistently 14.5-15L/100km (16.25-15.7 USMPG)in town and if I'm lucky 9-9.5 (26-24.75) on the highway. In winter, the city consumption has been as high as 16L/100km. These are OBC readings which I also suspect are somewhat optimistic but I'm not sure I really want to know.

I tried driving like a pussy for a tank and it improved so little I decided not to worry about the extra consumption from a heavy right foot even with fuel prices passing $1 per litre of premium here in Calgary.

Here's an on-line consumption converter for reference:

http://www.tdiclub.com/misc/conversions.html

HTH,
Anthony

TheGeak
04-07-2005, 08:34 AM
I could get 22-25mpg highway and about 11-14mpg city...if i was easy on the throttle i'd see 26mpg on the highway sometimes lol.

Anthony (M5 in Calgary)
04-07-2005, 10:26 AM
89' 535im 147K miles OBC says: 13.8-13.9L / 100km (~17MPG)

Anthony - i'm about 300km north of you and i drive my 535 in the snow, salt and slush ..... you must be driving your M5 in the winter as well .... any signs of rust?

let me know if you're interested in selling your M5 in a couple of years :D (there was one for sale in Red Deer last week, not sure of the mileage on the odometer though) ....

Red Deer, eh? Great town from what I've heard. <edit>(oops, geographically challenged, Edmonton area not RD)

Yes, the M5 is driven 7/365. Heavy rear driver with posi - nearly invincible in snow with the proper tires.

Rust? None to speak of but I'm seeing some stains on the inside of the door bottoms. The door bottom moldings themselves are starting to rust and I've got new ones to install this spring. Hopefully it hasn't attacked the doors themselves yet. I'll run some Corri-Seal into the skins for good measure. My spring maintenance schedule includes removing the rocker trims and wheel liners for a good check for rust. Any little spots will be given the POR-15 treatment.

Sell? Not likely. I've put a fair whack of $$$ into upgrades and preventive measures. To get my $$$ back I'd have to list it for $35k.

Cheers,
Anthony

RockJock
04-07-2005, 11:42 AM
Yeah, i'm in Edmonton ... :D, the M5 in Red Deer was listed at canadatrader.com for about 19,500 canadian pesos (probably thrashed for that price though :( )..

on my 535i i also had staining on the lower doors with rust on the metal inserts on the trim. when i pulled off the trim i noticed that it had jumped to the lower doors (very minor). i also have some very minor rust on one of the welded seams where the rear quarter panel meets the rear of the car. i'll deal with it when it gets drier outside ...

i'll be looking for a low mileage e34 M5 in a couple of years and i think alberta is a good place to start looking (in Canada at least) since it's pretty dry in this province. if i find one with less than about 150k km .... i don't mind paying for a nice specimen.....then again, i wonder if a guy could import an alpina b10 biturbo from here :D : http://www.mcp-motorsport.co.uk/Content/BMW_Alpina_B10_Bi_Turbo_Met_Blue.htm ... i'd give my left nut for this one.

Anthony (M5 in Calgary)
04-07-2005, 12:03 PM
Mu M5 was originally a Vancouver car, purchased form The Urban Garage and shipped to me sight-unseen by rail. Less of a leap of faith than you might think as I have a very good friend in the area and he did an exhaustive inspection on my behalf. I had it inspected by a local stealer too.

It had 103,000kms when purchased Oct/00 and now has 154,000ish which is still very low for a '91 car. Never crashed (ICBC is good for something, at least for vehicle histories) but the hood and the passenger's rear door were re-sprayed due to vandalism.

I'd been thinking of selling about a year ago but once I shopped the market for a replacement I changed my mind and built another house instead.

Still tempted to sell it even now but as I mentioned before, the list of recent upgrades would push the price too high for reasonable sale. Most people won't give you any credit for the work or upgrades but are happy to reap the benefits of your obsession.

Cheers,
AD

RockJock
04-07-2005, 01:53 PM
"Most people won't give you any credit for the work or upgrades but are happy to reap the benefits of your obsession."

well put, like you i'll probably keep the 535 as i've already put quite a bit of money into it (maybe as a winter car) .... still needs some work though (heater valve, nice wheels, suspension upgrade ..... and it's starting to have issues with the driveshaft/center bearing .... no vibration yet, but a rubbing/brushing sound in 1st and 2nd gear)..

i was going to get an e34 M5 sooner but decided to sink money into our house and into some precious metal prospects/properties situated in an undisclosed location somewhere in the wilds of canada ;).