PDA

View Full Version : "Extra" connector near trunk light cluster...

Qube
04-06-2005, 11:03 PM
Today when I was troubleshooting my reverse lights, I noticed another connector/harness. Looked like it had three wires. It was fastened, but not connected to a mate anywhere. It's near the right trunk light cluster. This is all seen when you remove the lining to expose the bulbs for the cluster, of course ;) Looked like a factory connector so thought I'd ask. Going to have to pick up a service manual sometime.

Does anyone have any idea what I am talking about? :) I'll take a pic tomorrow if it doesn't rain.

bimmerd00d
04-06-2005, 11:37 PM
rear fog lamp maybe?

genphreak
04-07-2005, 01:57 AM
Dude the connector of which you speak is for the tow bar electrics.

The original towbar (an awesome piece of engineering- ONLY get your BMW E34 tow bar from a stealer or a wrecker), the ball is even removable when you're not using it ;)

The electrics are really nice too- there is a relay box that mounts right there in the hole inside the quarter panel. It also dove-tails into the main harness (so connects into the system at two points)

I put one on my car and love it, except it has a tendancy to activate the brake light bulb broken warning very annoyingly, and stops my reverse lights from working completely. I haven't had the time to get into it, but it was probaly my shoddy workmanship :( like usual.

I don't know the pin-outs but you'll find them in the car's schemetics in a Bently or the BMW workshop manuals.

:) GP

Qube
04-07-2005, 02:53 PM
Nice. I love this place, my new home! ;)

Perhaps I can tap into this as a power source... THANKS!