PDA

View Full Version : Stomp test codes - Should I get a 1444 if nothing is wrong?

pundit
04-06-2005, 09:26 PM
I have fitted an EAT chip, along with an engine check globe which wasn't originally fitted. (Australian delivered E34 with full OBC)
The stomp test now causes the engine check lamp to flash as per the Bentley sequence.

Engine Codes (http://www.bmwe34.net/E34main/Trouble/Engine_codes.htm)

However I am under the impression that if no codes are present I should get a code 1444. Is this correct?
Because I am getting nothing apart from the engine check flash sequence. - TIA

BTW - Even if the engine check lamp is not fitted, theoretically, shouldn't the stomp test work anyway? Of course you won't get a flashing check lamp but providing you do the stomp test correctly shouldn't the codes still display if any are present? If not there must be something else missing from the code test procedure apart from the check lamp itself.

pundit
04-07-2005, 06:47 PM
Bump?

BlackOnBlack
04-07-2005, 11:38 PM
What's "bump" mean?

Bump?

shogun
04-08-2005, 12:58 AM
Steve,
he moves the thread up again = bump (I assume).

Pundit: I am still not yet convinced that your car has a working stomp test system. As you know, only US spec cars have it because it was by law required there.
Have read many discussions about this in the U.K., Germany and Japan, and so far I do not know of anybody who has it or could make it by just inserting a bulb.
If you found a way, let us know, then I will also modify accordingly.

pundit
04-08-2005, 02:30 AM
Steve,
he moves the thread up again = bump (I assume).

Pundit: I am still not yet convinced that your car has a working stomp test system. As you know, only US spec cars have it because it was by law required there.
Have read many discussions about this in the U.K., Germany and Japan, and so far I do not know of anybody who has it or could make it by just inserting a bulb.
If you found a way, let us know, then I will also modify accordingly.
Hmmm... I'd like to know what is required for the test to work?
ie. OBC, DME chip etc? Being an ex-mechanic I'm not interested being held ransom by the stealers to have my codes read. I'm currently suspicious of my O2 sensor.

pundit
04-08-2005, 02:33 AM
What's "bump" mean?
In forum terms it means 'bumping' the message back up to the top again.
As I'd had no response to my question and it has dropped off the front page I thought it was worth starting it from the top again. Hence 'bumping' back up. At least it save me from retyping it all again. ;)

shogun
04-08-2005, 02:43 AM
Pundit,
the easiest is to buy a PEAKE fault finder, it is the same time a reset tool for oil service and service interval. Also deletes faults after checking (reset).I bought one from PEAKE, costs about 150 US $. They ship worldwide.
Is small like a cell phone and fits in the glove box and is always handy.
Just plug it into the diagnosis box in the engine room.
http://www.peakeresearch.com

pundit
04-08-2005, 03:36 AM
Pundit,
the easiest is to buy a PEAKE fault finder, it is the same time a reset tool for oil service and service interval. Also deletes faults after checking (reset).I bought one from PEAKE, costs about 150 US $. They ship worldwide.
Is small like a cell phone and fits in the glove box and is always handy.
Just plug it into the diagnosis box in the engine room.
http://www.peakeresearch.com
Thanks Shogun. I had seen these but thought the stomp test would work.

shogun
04-08-2005, 05:28 AM
Some more info
http://www.epa.gov/obd/basic.htm

myles
06-03-2008, 11:44 AM
Hmmm... I'd like to know what is required for the test to work?
ie. OBC, DME chip etc? Being an ex-mechanic I'm not interested being held ransom by the stealers to have my codes read. I'm currently suspicious of my O2 sensor.

Hi Pundit

My 535 has a fully functional stomp system and it was also Australia delivered. I also get the 1444 code when nothing is wrong. The peake tool and other tools indicate that nothing is wrong.

Gene in NC
06-03-2008, 03:05 PM
To reset the check codes disconnect the battery for some mystery time. MAybe 5 or 15 minutes.
Supposed to be some stomp count to reset but I've never had anyluck except w batt discon