PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading seats to memory ones

Reuben Lim
04-06-2005, 09:16 AM
How do. Managed to convince someone selling his 89-90 E34 to swap seats with my 89 34, both us versions. Both have power front seats, but his have memory on the drivers side, rear seat headrests, and power lumbar support both front seats (sweet!). The connectors though on the drivers side are different from mine's. The old driver's have a one-piece thingy while his seem to be in three sections. Will I manage to make the memory switch work in mine's? Granted I get his connectors, how do I go about wiring them through my old harness? Is this something for the electro-mechanically challenged to attempt? Help me. Help me.

Jeff N.
04-06-2005, 09:52 AM
I don't have all the answers but maybe part of the answer.

One key part will be to use the correct "cross cable" for the seats. There is a cable that connects the drivers seat to the passenger seat - this cable is not the same depending on the seat type. If I recall, the stock seats, sports seats and memory seats all use a different cross cable. Look this up in ETK.

You're next question will be - (how) can I make my current able work? A) I don't know and B) I wouldn't recommend trying.

I think you're best best is to plan to pull and swap this cable when you remove/install the seats. It runs under the carpet and under the console so you'll need to get under that stuff.

This should solve the harness connection problems and get you well on your way. Not sure if there are other parts associated with the memory or not - you might want to carefully study the schematics in the ETM CD.

Jeff - done a little seat swapping

e34it
04-06-2005, 01:29 PM
Search for my post from my seat swap a few months back, there is some good info in there, i know quite a few guys helped me out on here.

Paul_540i
04-06-2005, 01:32 PM
It could turn out to be quite complex. Some (or all?) of the memory seats also control the mirrors so that mirror positions are memorised too. Wouldn't fancy doing it myself, sounds like way more hassle than it's worth, unless you're after the bling factor :D

Reuben Lim
04-06-2005, 09:47 PM
Thanks guys, will do. Actually, have long lusted for the rear headrests, but the memory for driver's would be a welcome bonus, my wife and daughter drive my baby too and it is a hassle (and literally a pain in the butt and back) to get everything back in order after they do. Managed to do the rear (had to also get bracket for headrest from other car), and front passenger (I really love the power lumbar feature), but still scratching my head over the driver's side. Yikes! If the mirror comes into play, it could get iffy...will have to skin this cat carefully...take care all.

bjl4776
04-06-2005, 09:58 PM
I would definately give it a try, I love giving my car the bling factor with factory options, cause its like look what my 15 year old car has that your brand new one doesnt, hehe damn germans got some things right

Reuben Lim
04-06-2005, 10:16 PM
Feel exactly the same. Have much newer cars in the same category, but find that the E34 can still more than hold its own--and this is a 15-year old car. Think the only thing better would be the newer BMWs. Have driven an E39 though, it's solid, but somehow the E34 still feels like home. Spending a lot but plan to hold onto this car a long time. Perhaps pass it onto my sons, hopefully they will still let their dad drive it when he wants. My next project is the auto dip mirror, but that's another story...Cheers!

Javier
04-07-2005, 06:49 AM
all required harnesses from the donnor car.

Javier

Reuben Lim
04-07-2005, 08:56 AM
Will do. Tried to change the driver's seat this afternoon with an electrician-friend. Were horrified when we saw numerous wires, harnesses seemingly snaking in all directions, we almost called the bomb squad. He backed out, said it was likely he would botch the job and do serious harm to both cars. Oh well. Thanks all.