PDA

View Full Version : To big a wheel causing toe out?!??! WHAT!!

ericbendler
04-05-2005, 02:14 PM
Wow,

I have been experiancing some weird reactions out of my 91 e34 after finally getting it lined up.

I have new thrust arms (w. 750i bushings) bilstein sports, eibach springs, the subframe inserts, and 245/40/18 for the tires.

My problem is some wandering in the steering and a fairly large pull in the wheel when I get done braking. It seems to be dependant upon the surface angle of the road. My calipers are fine and I was wondering if I need to get harder bushings for my control arms OR WHAT.

The repair shop said I may need to get smaller wheels but that hardly seems like a diagnostic answer.

Does anyone on her have a low-pro/substantially larger tire>? Is anyone having problems or did anyone have them and fix them?>

I have to spend the summer up in New York which requires that I drive up from Gainesville, FL. I really appreciate any help from the forum as I think my safety might be involved. THANKS!!!

632 Regal
04-05-2005, 02:37 PM
you might have gotten an inferior alignment, not that uncommon. The pulling is interesting, can you post more information on this?

Kalevera
04-05-2005, 02:41 PM
It's true. I was kind of amazed myself by the handling changes that the 17" style 5's have made to my car. Part of the problem (for me) is that I bought an unevenly worn set of tires, so changing them should fix that (mine pulls to the right at times).

But tramlining, and the particular tire that I use (Kuhmo Ecsta Supra 712's), cause the car to *GRAB* ruts and ridges in the road. It gets annoying, but the cornering benefits of the lowpro tires makes up for it.

Plus, everyone debates whether the 18" is too big for the e34. I don't know since I've never run one. Talk to Adam (Incantation) on the board about his experiences with 18's...he might have some advice.

best, whit

632 Regal
04-05-2005, 02:45 PM
the tires arent much wider than stock ant the overall diameter is close so I dont understand how a bigger rim would affect anything.

granit_silber
04-05-2005, 03:00 PM
. It seems to be dependant upon the surface angle of the road.

Don't know about the size, but there are two curves in my town that make my car pull to the left. Doesn't matter what the weather's like, what tires I'm running (just moved to 220.60/15 from stock), or what I'm doing at the time. If I take my hand off the wheel, I'm going to the left. I have never had the camber of a curve elicit such a respronse from a car.

As to the size of the rim...(my thoughts on why this could happen)
Even though the overall size is close, the ratio of tire to wheel is much different. Less sidewall=less flex. Maybe the sidewall helps the tire track truer in normal conditions (read non-track daily driving) because it's got more wiggle room. I'm probably wrong, but that logic works in my head.
-ashley

Mobius
04-05-2005, 08:58 PM
This is very likely nothing more than a bad alignment. Front toe is the setting to be concerned about in any "pull to the left/right" situation; and it looks like this shop didn't begin to set it correctly.

For what it's worth, I run 18s and I'm lowered - I only feel pulled around in the slightest on the most rutted of roads.

jplacson
04-05-2005, 09:36 PM
I'm running 18" rims. I get some of the symptoms you mentioned... but then again, I am due for a new set of tires + a suspension check-up.

I do get tramlining...but I can't tell if it's Philippine roads or my lousy Dunlop tires.

I'm switching to GY F1s soon, so will post any differences here when I make the change.

pmlmotorsports
04-05-2005, 10:36 PM
You can take this for what it's worth, or enjoy a hearty laugh. Here goes...........I was told this years ago by the then owner of Gotti Wheels USA. Whenever you increase the width of a wheel and alter the offset, you must compensate the alignment in terms of minutes/seconds. Now I won't qoute specs here because I don't intend to create a debate, but basically a wider wheel and tire causes greater friction with the road, greater friction causes greater force (worse gas mileage), greater force causes rubber bushings and mounts to "relocate" the nuetral point. In SIMPLE terms, align the car properly using the BMW spec (150 lb in each front seat, full tank of gas, blah blah rear seat weight, blah blah trunk weight, etc), next, set the front toe measurements to be within spec, but towards the higher limits of toe-in (INCREASE TOE-IN). Set the wheels to be equally "off of dead-center." This allows for the added "spreading" of the suspension due to the wider wheels having much more "wheel" extending past the hub. Just trust me and try it. You'll love it.

632 Regal
04-05-2005, 11:07 PM
Damn PML, that actually makes sence even in my antiquated mind! Kinda like wider skiis on a sled pushing snow, makes them kinda ride a bit farther back than with thin skiis...neat.

jplacson
04-05-2005, 11:51 PM
Will try it with my new tires! Thanks! :)

ericbendler
04-06-2005, 12:30 AM
Wow - I am going to the shop tommorrow and I will talk to them about this. I have the paperwork on my alignment. I got the tires from a wholesaler on eBay, and had the tires balanced (I'm really sorry) at Pep Boys.

I spoke to the guy at the shop and he definitly said the car was going out of toe according the changes in road level.

The incredible improvement in handling is more than enought to make me want to work through this problem. I am certainly not going to "Get a smaller tire" as the shop has recommended!

I think I understand the comment regarding a higher rate of friction on the road. I will read it again and bounce it off them at the shop. THANKS!!!!!!

Rory535i
04-06-2005, 02:07 AM
I'm running 18" rims. I get some of the symptoms you mentioned... but then again, I am due for a new set of tires + a suspension check-up.

I do get tramlining...but I can't tell if it's Philippine roads or my lousy Dunlop tires.

I'm switching to GY F1s soon, so will post any differences here when I make the change.

my brother had GY F1's on a GTi and he reckons they're the best rubber he's ever driven on! I was equally impressed with them. no tramlining with that car but i'm sure the e34's are different.

Rory535i
04-06-2005, 02:09 AM
what would a bmw dealer charge to set up your alignment etc? any ideas? mine needs doing...

s.c.estes
04-06-2005, 06:35 AM
I actually have an issue with stock sized tires where the steering seems to wander on certain types of roadway. Asphalt the steering tracks perfectly with no play. Once i get on concrete roadway however, the car tends to wander a bit. I bought this car with these tires, and haven't gotten around to changing them yet, just wondering if anyone had this experience.