PDA

View Full Version : Drivers Side View Mirror Glass

e34it
04-05-2005, 01:17 AM
Is it difficult to change out mirror glass, some dirty sicilian ******* driver (no offense to italian americans) hit my mirror and cracked it this morning. I dont know if i should do it or if i should have a body shop do it right, i tend to break things like this?

Blitzkrieg Bob
04-05-2005, 01:31 AM
There is a little hole under the mirror housing, just stick a small screw driver into the hole and feel for a groove. This is the mounting ring, just try to flick/pivot the ring away from the door...Get ready to catch it.

Good luck

jplacson
04-05-2005, 03:35 AM
do the older E34s come with the wide angle mirror option? I wanna change both my mirrors to wide angle ones.

e34it
04-05-2005, 01:52 PM
Done and done i replaced my mirror glass with a spare glass i had lying around, but unfortunatelyt it does not have the connection spots for the heated mirrors, oh well...thanks

biondani
04-05-2005, 02:53 PM
Funny you should mention this, someone pinched my mirror glass on the driver's side on friday. They had used the groove and left all the parts except the glass on the floor by the car.

BMW want 50 ukp for a new glass, all this for a 1991 525i with heated but not wide angle glass. Wish I knew somewhere I could get one cheaper in the UK.

Ian

Marshy
04-05-2005, 04:12 PM
I haven't found mirror glass anywhere cheap in the UK either. I put heated, tinted & wide angle glass on the driver's side, and paid full whack for it. I skimped and put non-heated glass on the passenger side. Boy, does that point out the value of heated mirrors: on cold/damp mornings the driver's side is clear in about a minute but the passenger side never clears the whole way to work.

And don't even bother with Halfrauds: all their mirror glass is the stick on variety designed to be stuck on top of an existing broken mirror. Previous owner had done this which is why I replaced both mine in the first place!

Blitzkrieg Bob
04-05-2005, 05:29 PM
Finding the Glass alone is hard

I have tried, but I have found it easier to pick up the whole mirror assembly on ebay.

biondani
04-05-2005, 05:32 PM
Finding the Glass alone is hard

I have tried, but I have found it easier to pick up the whole mirror assembly on ebay.

Hmmm, I might have to scan through ebay to find if there are any on there around pay day.

Ian

Russell
04-05-2005, 08:29 PM
BMA has mirror glass

Blitzkrieg Bob
04-05-2005, 08:46 PM
Really??

I tried them first a while back...but I could not find mirrors anywhere.

Where are they hiding them?

Russell
04-05-2005, 08:53 PM
Patrick would sell either OE or NON OE for diver's side. Only had OE for passenger side. I think the OE was about $70.00 for passenger side. and non OE was about $30-40 for drivers side.

Really??

I tried them first a while back...but I could not find mirrors anywhere.

Where are they hiding them?

Blitzkrieg Bob
04-05-2005, 09:08 PM
Thanks...I'll try again.

I hate trying to find a used mirror, only to end up with one that is all spotty and discolored.

e34it
04-06-2005, 03:42 AM
Ill Look In The E34 Heaven, (ie; My Local Junkyard Here That All The People That Wreck Their E34's On The Base Send Them To) And See If I Can Buy Some, If I Can Get Them Cheap I Will Be Happy To Sell Them To You For The Same Price, I'll Keep You All Updated

genphreak
04-07-2005, 08:41 AM
Really??
I tried them first a while back...but I could not find mirrors anywhere. Where are they hiding them?

I found these guys ([URL=http://www.fastbodyparts.com) some time ago. They have late model E4 mirrors (http://www.fastbodyparts.com/cgi-bin/fast/index.html?make=BMW&model=540I&year=1995&cat=47 ) as well, the whole assembly with heating and power assistance. If you want an older style one, search under pre '93 model 535s and you'll find em, but they are $20 **more expensive** The later ones are much nicer mirrors too, easier to see bicyclists and pedestrians if ur slung a bit low in the seat like I usually am...

I can't imagine why the later ones wouldn't fit, does anyone know if the connectors are different or something?

:) GP