PDA

View Full Version : Clutch delay valve

Paul_540i
04-04-2005, 03:51 PM
How do you remove this useless piece of junk? I've read stuff about the E39 having to replace it with another "valve" which has had the innards removed. But on bmwe34.net it says just remove it and bleed the system. What exactly is involved on the E34 540i?

I feel like a learner with this thing, I've had the car several months and I can shift smoothly if I do it slowly and with a lot of concentration, but try shifting quickly and it's impossible to avoid jolting the whole car. Worst clutch I've ever experienced on any car, and I've always driven manual (hate autos) :(

Paul_540i
04-08-2005, 03:01 PM
No-one have this issue?

bfd
04-08-2005, 03:47 PM
Not sure if this applies to the E34 540i, but for the E39 540s and E52 Z8 with the V8s, here is the *FREE*, as in don't waste your money buying a gutted version, instructions on how to remove:

http://www.uucmotorwerks.com/html_techtip/techtips/check_valve.htm

Good Luck!

jplacson
04-08-2005, 09:57 PM
This is from BMWE34.net:

How to improve clutch action on your 540i six speed for 5 dollars?
• There is a clutch delay valve inline between the clutch slave cylinder and the hydraulic fuel line that feeds it. Its purpose is to delay clutch function to guard against drivetrain damage that may occur during "hole shot" starts. It also makes the clutch feel weird and un-BMW-like. Remove the valve, take it outside, and throw it as far as you can. Thread the hydraulic line fitting directly into the slave cylinder to improve clutch action. You'll have to bleed the system; the five dollars is for brake fluid. Avoid John Force style hole shots from then on.

**On that note, what's a "hole shot"? (I probably know what it is... just called something different over here)

Paul_540i
04-09-2005, 04:55 AM
I think they just mean giving it plenty of revs then dumping the clutch. That way the engine is spinning but the car is stationary so something has to give - usually it's either the clutch slips some until the car is moving or the wheels spin (assuming ASC/DSC is switched off, otherwise power will be reduced to compensate).

The alternative is that one of the transmission components (gearbox, diff, etc) gives up first :eek: big bucks hence the CDV to try and prevent the possibility, basically it allows the clutch to slip during launched starts.

Paul_540i
04-09-2005, 04:57 AM
Cheers had a look at that site, may well be possible to just take it off on these cars :)