PDA

View Full Version : Help with electric windows...

Jeevz
04-04-2005, 10:38 AM
This morning all my windows refused to work, no sound, no movement, just click the button and nothing happens. They worked fine yesterday, thankfully as I was on a 650 mile roadtrip. I did leave the window down last night. I checked the fuse under the hood, number 17 I think, and it looked fine. I had a spare so I replaced it anyway and still nothing. Drove 5 miles to work and thought to myself "why not try it again?". Pushed the button and now it works. At least it went up, I'm afraid to see if it goes down...

Is there another fuse that I should be checking, maybe under the backseat, or is there something else I'm missing?

It's a '94 540ia if it matters...

Thanks for your help.

632 Regal
04-04-2005, 11:07 AM
kinda sounds like dirt in the switches, real commor in cars that were smoked in. Try blowing them out with a compressor, if that dont work you take them out and clean.

Jeevz
04-04-2005, 01:57 PM
I don't think it's dirt as none of the window switches were working, including the sunroof.

JonE
04-04-2005, 02:54 PM
Fusible link problem? http://www.bmwe34.net/e34main/maintenance/electrical/fusible_link.htm

632 Regal
04-04-2005, 03:45 PM
didnt catch that "all windows: thing. Check if your getting power to the fuse.

Nick.Hay
04-04-2005, 06:21 PM
To follow on with this one:

Mine did the same thing. All windows + central locking didn't work!! Drove 30km, went to work, started the car again about 3 hours later... all good!!

Another thing is that my driver's rear door window closes in 'stepped' incriments... ie closes a couple on inches, then stops. Press the button again, it closes a few more inches, then stops again!! Its fine on the way down, just the way back up causes problems.

Ideas??

Javier
04-04-2005, 06:53 PM
to do with windows, also with central locking.

Check them carefully, also check in the back seat power box (the one with fuses, relays and modules) if you feel some clicking wile attempting unsuccessful window operations. Where?

Javier