PDA

View Full Version : Just changed my own brakes - first time!

Marshy
04-03-2005, 04:29 PM
Took my car to a friend's yesterday to fit new pads all round, rear discs, and check out a sticky rear caliper. He's an E30 racer, so has plenty of tools, jacks, axle stands, yada yada yada, as well as the expertise to help me to the job. He was also changing the springs on his racer.

Management summary: 11 hours of mostly plain sailing, peppered with the odd bit of misery and post 10pm hammering. Of course, some of that 11 hours was spent helping with friend's spring job, getting a few bits and pieces from a local motor factor, eating sarnies, etc. It was by no means 11 hours just to do my brakes!

I really wish I'd got someone to show me the ropes for changing pads years ago - I could have saved so much money given how damn easy it is, and how cheap Pagid pads are. That said: I've read countless times the procedure for doing it, but nothing, NOTHING, compares to having someone show you the ropes on your own car. Bentley/Haynes diagrams are all very well, but nowhere near as good.

Front pads were easy. Rear discs and pads were easy, at least in threory.

The binding caliper was a beyatch. I was going to replace the whole thing, but I couldn't seem to find one in the UK. This particular caliper seems only to be used on the 540 and M5, and hence is a touch hard to find... Anyway, the main problem was that the dust seal had come away from the caliper housing, so the piston was a bit cruddy on the outside edge visible due to worn brake pads. The bore was lovely though, which was a relief. I'd had the presence of mind to get a new seal kit, so a bit of cleaning up of the piston was all that was needed.

I must admit, ATE's instructions for getting the outer dust seal fitted are hilarious. They throw away, in one sentence, what felt like a major saga at the time. 12 year old cleaned-up-but-still-cruddy caliper in one hand, piston in the other, complete with a seal stretched over it that's ready to ping off across the driveway like a rubber band at the slightest provocation. I lost count of how many goes it took to get it all together, with numerous "magic" words used along the way, and numerous pauses to clean something that got cruddy along the way... Anyway, eventually got it back together properly and all was well.

What was more irritating, and is something that I'll have to address before too long, was the splash sheild/protection plate on the other rear wheel. Part 13 here (http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=HE62&mospid=47384&prod=19930300&btnr=34_0395&hg=34&fg=10). The one on my car has rusted, causing the ring of metal that corresponds to the diameter of the handbrake drum part of the disc to expand slightly. It and the old disc has obviously formed an "accomodation" over the years. However, putting the new disc on meant that it was fouling quite badly, making quite a lot of heat and noise. Had to resort to hammering it back a little to get the car drivable. Question here is how hard is it to replace this very cheap part? Wheel, caliper and disc off, clearly, then what?

Anyway, that nasty surprise apart, everything's looking good. With the brakes bled and pads bedded in, I'm rather pleased with the first impressions of the Pagid fast road pads I used. I also saved a whole bag of cash over the quote from a local tyre/brake/exhaust outlet. However, I think *I* need new discs now: I hope the resulting backache clears up soon...

632 Regal
04-03-2005, 04:40 PM
"Had to resort to hammering it back a little to get the car drivable. Question here is how hard is it to replace this very cheap part? Wheel, caliper and disc off, clearly, then what?"

If brakes took 11 hours this will take a bit more... pretty much a chore since you have to pull the bearing hub and all off too. I would definetly go to your friends and have some help with this one!

Yummy! (http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=HE62&mospid=47384&prod=19930300&btnr=33_0168&hg=33&fg=40)

New learned word of the day "sarnies"

bjl4776
04-03-2005, 04:40 PM
Congrats on the DIY, it is always satisfying to do something yourself and have it work and then be able to enjoy the fruits or your labor.

Marshy
04-03-2005, 04:48 PM
If brakes took 11 hours this will take a bit more... pretty much a chore since you have to pull the bearing hub and all off too. I would definetly go to your friends and have some help with this one!

Well, 11 hours wasn't all brakes! The caliper recon took ages - the piston did require the attention of some fine wire wool and a lot of elbow grease. And yes, I'm aware it won't last forever either. The other three wheels (one disc, and pads) were done inside a couple of hours.

I may pay someone else to have the pleasure of fitting the splash guard. And perhaps new bleed valves all round too. The ones on my car seem to be made of cheese. (7mm spanner please. [heft] Umm, 6mm spanner and a hammer please!)

632 Regal
04-03-2005, 05:02 PM
that it took 11 hours to just do the brakes. Just saying it would be nicer to do it with someone with a bunch of tools/parts/air tools etc. You will need a big socket for that nut and I think someone wrote that its a bit of a pain to do.

Bet it will cost a small fortune if you take it in somewhere.

Marshy
04-03-2005, 05:27 PM
Just saying it would be nicer to do it with someone with a bunch of tools/parts/air tools etc. You will need a big socket for that nut and I think someone wrote that its a bit of a pain to do.
Bet it will cost a small fortune if you take it in somewhere.

I had a suspicion it might be a pain, which is why I'd already thought about paying someone for the hassle. On that basis, mind, I'd not have done the caliper job...

I'll see what quotes I get. Or I might just see if it turns out to be a problem or not: it's obviously meant to be close to the disc for a reason, likely to stop crud getting into the handbrake drum/shoes/mechanism. (Which reminds me, shoes... sigh...)

Kalevera
04-03-2005, 06:05 PM
FWIW: I'm rebuilding a set of M5 brakes (non N'burg, so the rears are the same 300 x 40's as what you've got on your car) and, just yesterday, discovered that using a bit of fast orange will clean the piston up very nicely.

If you've got RUST through the chrome, the piston really should be changed (which you can't do - have to get a new/rebuilt caliper). Just removing the rust will help for a little while -- the chrome finish is essential and the corrosive/hygroscopic properties of brake fluid will exacerbate any imperfections (read Johan & Sean's e32 page on the procedure: http://shrubbery.student.utwente.nl/).

I've got a f'ed up dust shield as well. It's mildly annoying -- rattles over some bumps. I'll replace it when I do the hubs, which could be a while :)

There's nothing like doing your own work -- my only suggestion is, with a Bentley's and this forum, there's no need for someone else to show or help.

best, whit