PDA

View Full Version : What did you get for your 18th birthday?

pundit
04-02-2005, 05:15 PM
When picking up some dash globes from the local stealer the other day I was nearly run over by a school kid in a new M3. There he was in his school uniform, 'P' plates (new drivers must display 'probationary' plates for their first two years of driving) pounding doof, doof and arm out the window complete with cigarette. He looked at me like I was some piece of **** then *laid rubber out of the carpark. This nearly caused a pile up on the main road resulting in a flurry of horn tooting, flashing lights and abuse. When I mentioned to the guy out the counter that I'd never let my 18 y/o kid pick up my M3 from the dealer he said... " It's not his father's, it's his... got it for his 18th birthday. It was just in for it's first service."

*I thought these things had traction control?

Mitch90535im
04-02-2005, 05:43 PM
One must worry if he'll live to see his nineteenth...

MarkD
04-02-2005, 06:01 PM
One must worry if he'll live to see his nineteenth...

Where do you think the mechanic I know that drops S54 motors into other cars gets them from? The two he has done so far both had less than 10K miles on them. We need a supply of motors!

If you didn't see my post on the S54 transplant, here it is:
http://www.bimmer.info/forum/showthread.php?t=10824

MarkD

Jr ///M5
04-02-2005, 06:21 PM
Prerequisite for owning an ///M car under 25.....DRIVING SCHOOL!!!!

It's been so long since I was 18, I don't remember getting anything. =)

Good point Mark, hell of a resource, let's hope the kids don't get hurt in the process. Sorry, but I think the driving school idea would have an impact on donor engines. =)

Jr

Derek A.
04-02-2005, 07:58 PM
Here is the car that the girl I dated in high school drove. Many fond memories of both of them. Money does so strange things to people.
http://www.opus45.com/pics/Porsche_911.jpg

scott540
04-02-2005, 08:09 PM
I think my present was my dad cosigning my student loans for me so I could go to college. He also stored my 7 year old Ford Fiesta. Couldn't have a car at school till I was a Junior

winfred
04-02-2005, 08:14 PM
a swift kick in the ass if i remember right

bofh
04-02-2005, 10:39 PM
I remember, I got the keys to a 7 year old base model (AM radio! and no lighter) Japanese truck, with all my belongings already loaded in the back :)

Kalevera
04-02-2005, 10:43 PM
Truly.

TheDuke
04-03-2005, 12:29 AM
18th birthday it wasn't so long ago for me, there was no car (had to buy it myself 98 Mitsu Mirage, still have it), ended up in a strip club dead drunk, and... that is it don't remember much more:) few burses and a black eye.

Rory535i
04-03-2005, 12:41 AM
my folks forgot my 18th...

MicahO
04-03-2005, 06:28 AM
I got an extra glass of water at lunch. That's what happens when you have your 18th birthday smack in the middle of Basic Training. Oh, and an extra set of pushups.

That kid's driving would benefit greatly from a driving school or three.

That kid's life would benefit greatly from a stint getting his ass stomped in Basic. A bit of perspective......

niall
04-04-2005, 04:55 AM
you should of jacked that mofo
you deserve it more than him!!!

Interceptor
04-04-2005, 06:21 AM
For my 18th birthday I got a pair of new sneakers :) *snicker*

I waited for five years before I could afford to buy an E34 that's only 10 years younger than me.

They have. They also have the OFF button for it :)

pundit
04-04-2005, 06:33 AM
For my 18th birthday I got a pair of new sneakers :) *snicker*

I waited for five years before I could afford to buy an E34 that's only 10 years younger than me.

They have. They also have the OFF button for it :)
Oh I get it... the button marked.. 'WANKER' :D

Randell
04-04-2005, 07:27 AM
When picking up some dash globes from the local stealer the other day I was nearly run over by a school kid in a new M3. There he was in his school uniform, 'P' plates (new drivers must display 'probationary' plates for their first two years of driving) pounding doof, doof and arm out the window complete with cigarette. He looked at me like I was some piece of **** then *laid rubber out of the carpark. This nearly caused a pile up on the main road resulting in a flurry of horn tooting, flashing lights and abuse. When I mentioned to the guy out the counter that I'd never let my 18 y/o kid pick up my M3 from the dealer he said... " It's not his father's, it's his... got it for his 18th birthday. It was just in for it's first service."

sydeney? last time i was in sydney i went down to the rocks on a saturday night, every second car was a near-new bmw with p-plates and 5 kids in the car. .. doof doof doof doof, sitting in the line of poser cars doing 5km/h just waiting to do another lap... lame

these cars are meant to be driven, not paraded to show how much your daddy earns! doesn't really matter, i know some people like this and they're sad when you know them too...

BigKriss
04-04-2005, 07:56 AM
a stripper and a bad hangover

Garlic Breath
04-04-2005, 10:39 AM
I won a 3 month trip to Parris Island.

pundit
04-04-2005, 05:22 PM
a stripper and a bad hangover
At least it wasn't a hangover and a bad stripper! :D

Nick.Hay
04-04-2005, 05:52 PM
Now, not to be racist here...

But was this 18y.o. an Asian??

I saw a new, Carbon Black M3 with mainland plates here in Tassie not long ago. Two little asians driving it, "P" plates, kerb-grazing on the 19in M-wheels, and covered in mud!! :( :(

I couldn't believe it... There isn't a whole heap of E46 M3's in Tassie anyway, let alone some... some... f*@king non-enthusiast knobhead abusing one like its a bottom-feeding Kia!!

Reminds me of the Victorian Registered E36 318 floating around here atm;

Titan silver, with dark windows, cut front springs (so it bounces like a ricer), standard height in the back, 3 mag-wheels, and one standard, busted front bumper (complete with missing foglight).... and a 15inch tall, hot pink PLAYBOY bunny sticker on the back window!! Oh... Hello ****wit!!
Upon passing the car at night, only one headlight works, and only one brakelight (not the tailights... when off the brakes there is no lights on the back of the car at all!!)
Oh, and he's a track-suit wearing Lebo who thinks he is Tupac Shakur!! :D

Still, it makes my old 5 look like a show-car!!

Sorry guys and girls... It just absolutely infuriates me!! :(

P.S. 18th present was an SLR camera for photographing rally events, (and lots of photos of my 535i!!) Sorry, got sidetracked!!

misfortune
04-04-2005, 05:57 PM
I got my bimmer for my 18th birthday. It was (and still isnt') much to write home about. Still runs, 5 years later.

pundit
04-04-2005, 07:00 PM
Now, not to be racist here...

But was this 18y.o. an Asian??...
No in fact he was a white honky... just like me! :D
BUT... it was in the suburb of Camberwell which is a fairly up market area. Toorak, South Yarra etc. are just up the road. Think of bankers, lawyers, surgeons, ad execs, etc and you'll get an idea of the kind of area... MONEY!
The most common cars in Toorak are BMW's, Mercs, Range Rovers, Porsches, Audi's, Jags, Rollers, Bentleys etc. Oh and the odd Lexus for the lower-upper-class! ;)
And I don't mean the most common luxury cars... I mean the most common cars... period! You will not see many sub $60,000 cars in Toorak.

BTW.. Ranger Rovers are known over here (Melbourne) as Toorak Tractors!

genphreak
04-05-2005, 02:59 AM
progress of evolution that is...

More money than sense = Death (inside an M3 or whatever other tool might happen to be 'in play')

Why do you think airbags sell so well? If I were buying a new M3 and they offered an airbag, I'd prolly ask to go without and wonder where else I could save some weight.... it all makes a difference after all...

That too might be evolution taking its course... LOL

We're all dumb in our own way... burning fuel for any reason is dumb after all... with or without the Kyoto protocol...

:) GP

PS- btw; I got a 386DX40 with 128Mb of RAM and a co-processor to do my CAD drawing. Hasn't killed me yet... but it doesn't help my health much...

liquidtiger720
04-05-2005, 10:44 AM
I never heard of this p-plate business.

I am Asian, so I got money for my birthday. O wait, I got a computer too.
I wonder what I will get for my 19th birthday. :D

pundit
04-05-2005, 10:58 AM
I never heard of this p-plate business.

I am Asian, so I got money for my birthday. O wait, I got a computer too.
I wonder what I will get for my 19th birthday. :D
In Victoria (South Eastern Australian State) you must be 17 years to obtain a Learners permit. This require 'L' plates to be fitted and a licensed driver to accompany the learner. At 18 years a written and practical test must be passed. If successful the new driver obtains a 'Probationary' license. 'P' plates (red letter 'P' on white background) must be displayed on the front and rear of the car. The Probationary licence lasts for 2 years. During this time the driver cannot drink any alcohol at all. That means 0.0.. not a drop! There is also restriction on high powered vehicles (mainly V8's) thought many still manage to drive Riceburner WRX's and Skylines etc. (excuse the terminology but that's what we called blinged out Japanese cars over here - remember we're arrogant BMW drivers :D)

Bill'93Touring
04-05-2005, 01:47 PM
Yep, I had just totaled our new '81 VW Rabbit..or near total. They fixed it, but the damage was so bad my parents never wanted to drive it again. And all I did was bury the nose under a metal guard rail in a downhill twistie!

This was after having cooked the Turbo 400 trans in our '72 Olds Cutlass with 455 big block V8 (320 stock horses..and no limited slip diff. Imagine all the little black lines yours truly left around the neighborhood) That was not the right car for a sixteen year old.

So, I know you're all asking what sort of replacement came around? It was another VW Rabbit - a DIESEL rabbit. My dad wanted to make sure I didn't get another 80 MPH speeding ticket. Or get laid, I guess.

Bill
'93 535i Touring
'81 745i turbo
'87 535is
'95 Mitsu Montero LS (FOR SALE, PLEASE, SOMEONE)
'72 Ford Ranchero GT (for sale too, with 351C-4V, it HAULS!)

mikell
04-05-2005, 03:53 PM
Got best wishes for the 18th; had to buy the car myself - a used MG Midget Mark II - Yes, I'm an old fart - 1100cc and a generous helping of rust. At 6'2" tall, I cut quite the image unfolding from the little thing. An M3 back then and I'd never have seen 19.

Blitzkrieg Bob
04-05-2005, 08:39 PM
For my 18th, just had a party that would have made Caligula blush and Cheech & Chong go straight all in one night.

Already had been driving a souped up Mazda Rx-2 since 15, and had destroyed a few unibodies by 18.

Glad I survived that phase!