PDA

View Full Version : OT other auto forums (rant)+a cry for help

tdgard
04-02-2005, 11:36 AM
So the better half’s Altima 's trans went out while on a road trip. I drove 250 miles to meet her (after her description of the problem I wanted to at least get on the road before the "come get me" call). Swapped the E34 for the Altima & got the car home but it's on it's last leg. I had to hold the shifter while in 5th to keep it from jumping out. It seems as if it's a bad syncro or a chipped gear--won't know until I get it apart--grinds between 4&5&won't stay in 5. She called me & described a nasty grinding noise in every gear but 5th. Then the noise just stopped. I think it was a broken tooth or whathaveyou that has now made it's way to the bottom of the pan.

I turn to you guys for these reasons:

1-I go to an Altima web forum not unlike this one (except for one major difference--see#2) & do a search for the problem.
2-I then decide that these people are idiots.

I had to register to respond to a problem about a spongy clutch. Sometimes it was firm, some times it was extremely soft. All least 8-10 replies from the other folks said he should check the trans fluid or something equally as stupid.
I had to respond that he should fill his trans with gravel & it would not make a damned bit of difference in his clutch travel. I did try to point toward what it might be.

That seemed to be a common theme. The whole "Hey my tire is flat"-"Have you checked your oil?" conversations. Wish I cared about keeping my car running more than I care about gettin a new wing on the back.

My problem is that Chilton--or Haynes or whatever the hell I have for that car is not a Bentley's. Does anyone have an exploded diagram of an Altima's trans for when I put it back together--if not, is there a source online?

632 Regal
04-02-2005, 03:07 PM
as a last resort theres probably a service manual available either via the dealer or online. Google it?

Bill R.
04-02-2005, 04:44 PM
I'll have to email it to you.

So the better half’s Altima 's trans went out while on a road trip. I drove 250 miles to meet her (after her description of the problem I wanted to at least get on the road before the "come get me" call). Swapped the E34 for the Altima & got the car home but it's on it's last leg. I had to hold the shifter while in 5th to keep it from jumping out. It seems as if it's a bad syncro or a chipped gear--won't know until I get it apart--grinds between 4&5&won't stay in 5. She called me & described a nasty grinding noise in every gear but 5th. Then the noise just stopped. I think it was a broken tooth or whathaveyou that has now made it's way to the bottom of the pan.

I turn to you guys for these reasons:

1-I go to an Altima web forum not unlike this one (except for one major difference--see#2) & do a search for the problem.
2-I then decide that these people are idiots.

I had to register to respond to a problem about a spongy clutch. Sometimes it was firm, some times it was extremely soft. All least 8-10 replies from the other folks said he should check the trans fluid or something equally as stupid.
I had to respond that he should fill his trans with gravel & it would not make a damned bit of difference in his clutch travel. I did try to point toward what it might be.

That seemed to be a common theme. The whole "Hey my tire is flat"-"Have you checked your oil?" conversations. Wish I cared about keeping my car running more than I care about gettin a new wing on the back.

My problem is that Chilton--or Haynes or whatever the hell I have for that car is not a Bentley's. Does anyone have an exploded diagram of an Altima's trans for when I put it back together--if not, is there a source online?

tdgard
04-04-2005, 10:05 AM
My e-mail is my screenname + ner@mindspring.com Year of car is 93. Because of all this, we are getting an '02 325cic this week. Tired of dicking with this car. Payments=bad. Convertible=good.

Kalevera
04-04-2005, 10:15 AM
;)

Stick with the bimmer :)

Bill R.
04-04-2005, 10:20 AM
1QUOTE=tdgard]My e-mail is my screenname + ner@mindspring.com Year of car is 93. Because of all this, we are getting an '02 325cic this week. Tired of dicking with this car. Payments=bad. Convertible=good.[/QUOTE]

tdgard
04-04-2005, 10:28 AM
You will get a reply from earthlink to respond to some code. I've had to get pretty agressive against spam. I've got all the pills I need and my penis is just fine.

Bill R.
04-04-2005, 10:45 AM
corrupted or my browser can't interpret it correctly, either way i can't fill it in.

You will get a reply from earthlink to respond to some code. I've had to get pretty agressive against spam. I've got all the pills I need and my penis is just fine.

tdgard
04-04-2005, 11:05 AM
Got it--Thanks again