PDA

View Full Version : My $25K Savings Yesterday....BMW Drive for the Cure.

RobPatt
04-02-2005, 11:23 AM
Zoomed to the local stealer after work ready to sign up for my slot in any available '05 bimmer only to be told I was 5 minutes too late. "Sorry man, we gotta get the cars to Tallahassee tonight", I'm told. So I say heck, I'll friggin drive one to Tallahassee, I don't care. "Serous..?" "Yup" So on the spot I got into an '05 325cic for the 180 mile jaunt w/20 other silver bimmers w/that unique pink ribbon across the hood (Breast Cancer Foundation) and we convoyed from Ft. Walton Beach to Tallahassee along I-10.

What a blast. So here I am, 33yrs old, everyone else well into their grey hair years discussing doctors/meds and such as they were. I'm thinking 'great, I can see it now, 55mph all the way to Tallahassee'. WRONG. Fast, fun, cooperative and coordinated driving the whole way. Ever run track? Indian sprints, where the last guy sprints to the front, repeat? That's what we did, and I doubt anyone ever broke 100mph. Most of the fun was driving w/the other cars, and knowing, relying, and expecting the mutual cooperation among all the drivers.

Pulling in at rest stops was quite a sight, as were our departures, and filling tanks at the station before dropping them off at the dealer.

Then, the nice motorcoach bus w/televisions, pizza, cold sodas for the free transport back home.

Much more than the 15 minute test drive I was expecting.

The best part yet??? When I got back in my not-so-tired E34 525ia, I still felt quite at home in it, not much difference between it and 2.5 hours in the '05 325. Certainly not enough for their approx. $25K price difference.

I'm in a new level of appreciation for my own 133K mile slushbox E34. Great car.

Cheers, Rob.

more info: http://www.bmwusa.com/bmwexperience/EventsandPrograms/UDSK/

CrimsonBrian
04-02-2005, 11:55 AM
Rob,
Excellent story! I have done the Komen drive for the past six years and loved it every time. I have had the chance to drive almost every single car BMW makes and it has been a complete blast. Even the shorter jaunts between dealerships can be fun, but I agree that the long trips are what makes it worth the time. And helping BMW donate money to breast cancer research is just an added perk. I would highly recommend the Komen drive to anyone, it is a worthy cause and a lot of fun. BMWCCA usually sends out emails looking for volunteers when they are in your area so keep your eyes open.