PDA

View Full Version : Noise from the car that I need help with

geodim_98
04-01-2005, 03:32 PM
I have had to park my car for a very long time because I haven't had time to work on it. The time ius getting warmer and the company I work for is trying to make sure I have plenty of time to work on my projects at home ( read as "layoffs") before I parked the car, the car felt like I was riding on a jack hammer. I think the CAT was plugged up but not sure cause the exhaust seems to have "separated" Since then, the car runs ok, and accelerates fine, but when I take my foot off the gas and the car starts to decelerate, I get a very loud clicking noise like a piece of metal riding along the teeth of a gear. Any suggestions on where I should start looking? I realized recently, how much I love my e34 and would really like to get it back up to snuff. unfortunately if it will cost me an arm and a leg to fix, I will have to get rid of it. My wife has been after me to get it out of the yard. I must say though, that if I can ressurect it, I may have a reason to keep it. Hopefully you guys can give me a shove in the right direction.

-George Dimovski

632 Regal
04-01-2005, 03:37 PM
drive her up on ramps and take a look around the driveshaft for anything loose and rubbing, also chech around the rear ead too, probably something stupid going on there.

Javier
04-01-2005, 11:17 PM
and drive shaft, hitting happens specially when trany mounts get worn out.

Javier

e34it
04-02-2005, 03:20 AM
geodim this sounds like the "EXACT" same sound i am getting on my M5 and i have not a clue what it is or where it is coming from, i had it up on the lift and i turned the driveshaft, still couldnt find anything, let me know if u solve it. it is super annoying, also does yours do it when you hit the throttle, mine does at stop or in motion it seems to get louder when the car is warmer and if u let off the gas it will stop after the enging goes back to idle, puzzling, and i have not a clue.......................

Javier
04-02-2005, 08:39 AM
the heat shield (Lower the exhaust a bit) and inspect it. If there were any hitting with the driveshaft balancing weights, there should be traces in the heat shield.

Happened to me, only down hill under certain conditions, impossible to duplicate just raising the car and turning the drive shaft.

Javier

Edit: Actually I noticed it by accident. Disassemble looking for the guibo, I have no guibo in my car, so when ready to assemble back, noticed the traces in the heat shield. Just bended a little bit to have more clearance.