PDA

View Full Version : Desperately seeking Carfax

Dash01
04-01-2005, 01:27 PM
My kid nudged another kids Camaro while parallel parking our E34 one rainy night, so immediately sought out and told the Camaro kid about it. Neither kid could find any apparent damage to the Camaro at the time (6 months ago), except for a 1" X 1/8" fender ding, where the plastic bumper trim on our E34 nudged the Camaro. So, they filed no police report or insurance claim.

The Camaro kid has since then jumped a concrete curb and taken out some shrubs and impacted a small rock garden with this Camaro, while pealing out from the high school parking lot. And, he had bought the '88 Camaro as a restored wreck with prior unit body damage, re-weld, new hood, bumper cover, repaint, etc., so it has a checkered past.

Now, the Camaro kid wants my kid to pay for damage, regardless of the history of the car and (of course) without mention of his curb/rock garden incident. I think my kid should pay for paintless dent repair on the small ding he caused, but not a whole new front that has been damaged in at least two other unrelated accidents.

So, a Carfax of this VIN would be most illuminating on the history of this '88 Camaro. VIN: 1 G 1 F P 2 1 E7 J L 1 9 0 8 5 3

If you could PM me with the Carfax title, ownership, and damage history data, I'd really appreciate it.

632 Regal
04-01-2005, 02:06 PM
no witness, no insurance information, no police report, theres really nothing he can do now. Thats kinda pinass of him to try to scam you though.

Kalevera
04-01-2005, 03:56 PM
You let your kid drive your e34? :)

Dash01
04-01-2005, 04:09 PM
Legally, the Camaro kid is toast,having filed nothing at the time and having no insurance himself. We do not dispute that my kid nudged his fender with our E34 and caused a small ding, or that we have moral and ethical obligation to fix the ding. The Camaro kid's crass, blatant, and transparant attempt to stick my kid for unrelated and exagerated damage is pretty sleazy, esp. since my kid went to him and told him the minute the ding happened.

It turns out, though, that when Camaro kid lost control and ran over the 7" curb, rocks, and into somebody's yard, the lady was home and saw it through her front window. She's a local driving instructor and called 911. The cop came but did not ticket the Camaro kid, b/c the kid came back and helped fix the yard. But, there should be a police record of the 911 call. In that case the cop let the kid go without citation, despite having no insurance, because he took pity on the kid. Now, the kid goes around bragging to his friends that he "intimidates" the cops, who won't write him up. I wonder what the cop and Judge Wapner would think about all this.

Anyhow, a kind soul helped me with Carfax, so I won't need further help with that.