PDA

View Full Version : Buying '94 318is ?

Voodoo
04-01-2005, 08:04 AM
I know this is the place for E34, but it's a more active forum and some of you own 3 series cars also, so...

I'm thinking of buying this car. Can you please tell me what are the known problems I should look for? Also, is it a good car (general opinion)? How about performance(speed,acceleration), consumption, maintainance costs, resistance to rust,...? The car has huge 18" wheels ... they look awesome but do they have a bad impact on performance or fuel consumption?

Any thoughts would be appreciated, thank you very much.

http://img223.exs.cx/img223/9528/untitled9vf.jpg
http://img223.exs.cx/img223/264/untitled15io.jpg

smcgowan
04-02-2005, 12:57 PM
I have a neighbor that will be getting rid of his 94 318is before the end of the year.. I too need any info you guys could give:) It's in good shape and an upgrade over my weekday 92 honda dx daily driver. I still love driving my wife 5 on the weekends.

Eric Clark
04-02-2005, 01:08 PM
My mother has a 95 318i and has owned it since 80,000. It has cost very little to maintain and has the same areas to watch as on other BMWs. The one in the picture has either been repained or has side skirts added. 92-95 E36 have black lower bodies and bumpers. These cars are great with fuel consumption but will never be the fastest. Why anyone would add 18" rims to a 318i is beyond me. I would save the money to buy a nice 325i instead of buying rims.

Jose
04-02-2005, 01:32 PM
The 318is engine is virtually bulletproof. When serviced at the given intervalls, it will easily outlast the very strong M30 engine.My brother in law recently sold his E30 318is with more than 500,000 kmīs on it whithout taking it a part once, that shows how strong these engines are. The only real downside this engine could have is that it often needs a new chain tensioner before itīs due. Change thhe tensioner as soon as it starts to rattle and youīll be just fine. Itīs not the fastest car as it wheighs approx.1280kgs with only 140 bhp, but should you buy it you could always consider adding some spice under the hood. As for the 18īs, with this engine itīs not the best way to go. Theyīre too large and will slow this car noticable.

Derek A.
04-02-2005, 01:47 PM
These cars - like most e36s will eat front ball joints. Starting to see cars in northern climate with trailing arm bushings that are shot. Depending on front wheel size - front struts usually leak at the 100k mark. These cars do not use an engine mounted fan. Make sure that the electric one is in good shape. That is really about it.

Kalevera
04-02-2005, 01:55 PM
I have very little experience with the e36 (beyond a US spec mid 90's 4 door M3), but I've read that the rear suspension should be checked out thoroughly prior to buying one. Beyond the obvious fit and finish questions (which is a hotly debated issue), I would buy one if it looked and felt tight and had service records.

best, whit